Real world towing MPG with Ford 5.0L V8? - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #91

Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Our son in law and daughter have a 2013 3.5 EB with 65K miles also without issues.

Our 2.7 EB also problem free but then it only has 11k km

Adrian

emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #92

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I doubt the v-8 gas is dead, it is the stalwart motor for the Mustang GT and with the new Bronco coming, it surely will have a v-8 option. I had the first ford v-8 made in a 1932B Ford and here we are 84 years later.
The new Ford GT utilizes a 3.5L EcoBoost with 600Hp. The Mustang is going to follow that path. My friend , a guy, a Ford Tech says they are looking to future emission requirements. The V8 will disappear possibly in the 2018 lineup.

Ford GT Reviews - Ford GT Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #93

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L 4x4
It's amazing how much stuff sits on top of the cylinders these days. Makes the pistons look almost insignificant. (Ford Gen 2 3.5L V6 EB)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-ford-f150-3.5-tt-ecoboost-v6-turbo.jpg (179.0 KB, 23 views)
War Eagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #94

Trailer: 2016 Classic 21ft
I have no inside scoop on recalls, mechanics nor dealer advice.

I do know from life experiences that all else being equal and you took two mechanical devices designed, hand built with best metallurgies and materials by the same manufacturer and craftsmen, the device with more critical components will naturally fail more often.

Modern turbos are a wonder but in addition to all the same components found in aspirated version (valves, pistons, rings, crankshafts, main bearing, etc ) they have a lot of critical, stressed components that can fail rendering the entire assembly inoperable. Aluminum rotors driven by extremely hot gases spinning in the neighborhood of 20K rpm and associated hardware with metallurgies operating under extreme heat (exhaust gases) generating sealing and lubrication challenges. These are components that will never fail in an aspirated engine, as they don't exists.

I like turbos in performance cars where failure is ok as long as you get great performance and a thrill ride. I don't like them in my bread and butter car/truck. Over time this more efficient way for an engine to breathe will work whatever kinks might exists and become the new norm as forced feeding is certainly efficient. Twenty five years ago, Volvo car turbos rotor assemblies broke down if the engine oil was not changed per a rigid schedule and with a specific grade. Today turbos are very reliable and will be even more so as time passes.

Still, fewer critical parts, tried and true simplicity, means higher reliability. More complexity and sophistication means better performance. It is often is a tough call.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #95

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Yo Santiago - I remember the first Saab turbo 4 cylinder and needing to be careful not to "coke" the bearings. Instructions were to let idle for a minute before turning off motor if running it hard beforehand. Never owned one- figured if you wanted V-6 performance buy one.

Flash forward and no doubt there have been vast improvements yet functional obsolescence hasn't been removed from automakers vocabulary has it?

Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote