Real world towing MPG with Ford 5.0L V8? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #81

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
We have been on the Ford 2.7L EcoBoost bandwagon for a while now, and it still tops our short list for a future tow vehicle. But recent reviews on the web (for what they are worth) are getting more and more mixed. And that concerns us. Some obviously love their 2.7L EB. It's all they had hoped for and more. But there seems to be a growing voice out there of those who are disappointed that their 2.7 hasn't lived up to it's mpg promises. But then the details of 4x2 vs 4x4, differential ratios, etc., start clouding the picture. Just out of curiosity, is anyone out there pulling a 19, 21 or 5.0 with the a new generation Ford F-150 with the 5.0L V8? And if so, what has your real-world experience been - especially your mpg while towing and not? Again, just curious....
I know a friend who is a Ford Mechanic and his only response is 5 Litre. If the dealership is pushing you towards a 5.0, thank them, the Eco Boost motors have many problems and the dealers know it. Our local dealer refused to stock them in early 2015. The EBs encounter seized wastegates, seized turbos, failed turbo oil seals and now I hear the timing chains are only lasting 30K Miles. Advice for an EB owner, only get your truck dealer serviced, keep your receipts. Ford is now warranting the 3.5 EB for 10 years if you have all your paper work. Also my neighbor says the gas V8 is done this year.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #82

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Thanks Doug. I've heard a few similar stories around here. So far I'm very pleased with our new 5.0L. Still on the first tank of gas and short trips only, so I'm just going by computer numbers for this, but the computer says I'm getting around 17 mpg in town (right on the estimate) and 23 mpg doing 55 mph on 2-lane highways (a little better than estimate). So I'm very happy so far. Haven't taken it out on the interstate yet. Haven't hitched up the camper yet. Giving it a little break in time, needed or not.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #83
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I know a friend who is a Ford Mechanic and his only response is 5 Litre. If the dealership is pushing you towards a 5.0, thank them, the Eco Boost motors have many problems and the dealers know it.
"I know somebody who says", or "I have a friend"... Is not data. It's anecdotal. How about some data before you trash my engine? So far, the performance, towing and MPGs have been everything Ford promised.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #84

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
I know a friend who is a Ford Mechanic and his only response is 5 Litre. If the dealership is pushing you towards a 5.0, thank them, the Eco Boost motors have many problems and the dealers know it. Our local dealer refused to stock them in early 2015. The EBs encounter seized wastegates, seized turbos, failed turbo oil seals and now I hear the timing chains are only lasting 30K Miles. Advice for an EB owner, only get your truck dealer serviced, keep your receipts. Ford is now warranting the 3.5 EB for 10 years if you have all your paper work. Also my neighbor says the gas V8 is done this year.
As I have posted before , I was told the same thing by two local Ford dealers. If I remember correctly there has been a couple class action law suits against Ford over the Eco Boost engine.
Some Ford owners are very pleased with their Eco Boost engines but there are enough unhappy owners to make me think that the technology is not perfected at this time. This is an issue for Ford to resolve and is not a reflection on those who have purchased the Eco Boost engine .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
"I know somebody who says", or "I have a friend"... Is not data. It's anecdotal. How about some data before you trash my engine? So far, the performance, towing and MPGs have been everything Ford promised.
They put the 3.5L EB in the Explorer and have had no issues. The truck and thier owners seem to be asking more from the engine.

My response was to the OP, 5.0L is the best choice for reliability and resale.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #86

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
who would have thought those EB hamsters actually get tired!
for the record did own a Ford SUV previously and liked it , but it wasn't an EB high tech gizmo....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #87
Site Team

I still see no data. Just talk of "bad engines" and now the latest gem "hamsters". Show me data that indicates the EcoBoost V6 is not reliable. The data can't be "a dealer told me" or a "mechanic told me". For every anecdote saying that, you can find others saying the opposite. If the data proves the EB engines are a problem, so be it. Haven't seen that data.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #88

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I doubt the v-8 gas is dead, it is the stalwart motor for the Mustang GT and with the new Bronco coming, it surely will have a v-8 option. I had the first ford v-8 made in a 1932B Ford and here we are 84 years later.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #89

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I still see no data. Just talk of "bad engines" and now the latest gem "hamsters". Show me data that indicates the EcoBoost V6 is not reliable. The data can't be "a dealer told me" or a "mechanic told me". For every anecdote saying that, you can find others saying the opposite. If the data proves the EB engines are a problem, so be it. Haven't seen that data.
If you search "Ford Eco Boost Recalls " on the internet , you will find all the data your heart desires. The NHTSA has done several investigation concerning reported issues with the Eco Boost engine .Their is also several articles on class action consumer lawsuits involving problems with the Eco Boost.
The 5.0 V8 has also had its' share of problems but no where near the numbers involving the Eco Boost.
My 2014 Ram 1500 has had recalls but just because I have not had any problems does not mean the problems don't exist .
I had a Chevy pickup that blew a head gasket. Chevy said there was no issue with the head gasket ,every mechanic I talked to said it was a common problem. Turned out the mechanics were right and Chevy was wrong / lied.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #90
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If you search "Ford Eco Boost Recalls " on the internet , you will find all the data your heart desires. The NHTSA has done several investigation concerning reported issues with the Eco Boost engine .Their is also several articles on class action consumer lawsuits involving problems with the Eco Boost.
The 5.0 V8 has also had its' share of problems but no where near the numbers involving the Eco Boost.
My 2014 Ram 1500 has had recalls but just because I have not had any problems does not mean the problems don't exist .
I had a Chevy pickup that blew a head gasket. Chevy said there was no issue with the head gasket ,every mechanic I talked to said it was a common problem. Turned out the mechanics were right and Chevy was wrong / lied.
Steve I've no doubt there have been recalls. What I'm getting at is data that supports the conclusion that the EB is unreliable when compared to non turbo engines. Real numbers, not just recall notices. If for example it can be quantified that the EB suffers a particular breakdown at percentage x while the non EB percentage is y - that sort of thing. Otherwise, we're back to anecdotes and Google articles.

Anecdotally, a friend who has 95K miles on his EB has had zero problems. Not one.

That is not to say there isn't data showing overall reliability percentages, but I haven't seen that yet.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #91

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Our son in law and daughter have a 2013 3.5 EB with 65K miles also without issues.

Our 2.7 EB also problem free but then it only has 11k km

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I doubt the v-8 gas is dead, it is the stalwart motor for the Mustang GT and with the new Bronco coming, it surely will have a v-8 option. I had the first ford v-8 made in a 1932B Ford and here we are 84 years later.
The new Ford GT utilizes a 3.5L EcoBoost with 600Hp. The Mustang is going to follow that path. My friend , a guy, a Ford Tech says they are looking to future emission requirements. The V8 will disappear possibly in the 2018 lineup.

Ford GT Reviews - Ford GT Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver
Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #93

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
It's amazing how much stuff sits on top of the cylinders these days. Makes the pistons look almost insignificant. (Ford Gen 2 3.5L V6 EB)
Attached Thumbnails
2017-ford-f150-3.5-tt-ecoboost-v6-turbo.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #94

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
I have no inside scoop on recalls, mechanics nor dealer advice.

I do know from life experiences that all else being equal and you took two mechanical devices designed, hand built with best metallurgies and materials by the same manufacturer and craftsmen, the device with more critical components will naturally fail more often.

Modern turbos are a wonder but in addition to all the same components found in aspirated version (valves, pistons, rings, crankshafts, main bearing, etc ) they have a lot of critical, stressed components that can fail rendering the entire assembly inoperable. Aluminum rotors driven by extremely hot gases spinning in the neighborhood of 20K rpm and associated hardware with metallurgies operating under extreme heat (exhaust gases) generating sealing and lubrication challenges. These are components that will never fail in an aspirated engine, as they don't exists.

I like turbos in performance cars where failure is ok as long as you get great performance and a thrill ride. I don't like them in my bread and butter car/truck. Over time this more efficient way for an engine to breathe will work whatever kinks might exists and become the new norm as forced feeding is certainly efficient. Twenty five years ago, Volvo car turbos rotor assemblies broke down if the engine oil was not changed per a rigid schedule and with a specific grade. Today turbos are very reliable and will be even more so as time passes.

Still, fewer critical parts, tried and true simplicity, means higher reliability. More complexity and sophistication means better performance. It is often is a tough call.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #95

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yo Santiago - I remember the first Saab turbo 4 cylinder and needing to be careful not to "coke" the bearings. Instructions were to let idle for a minute before turning off motor if running it hard beforehand. Never owned one- figured if you wanted V-6 performance buy one.

Flash forward and no doubt there have been vast improvements yet functional obsolescence hasn't been removed from automakers vocabulary has it?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote