Reducing tongue weight on a 21’ by LOADING differently - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2016, 11:53 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
To search images would require that all members adhere to some sort of naming protocol. I doubt that will ever happen.
It would work better to have members submitting photos include keywords, which could then be searched - no need to worry about the filename. Common image file formats include embedded keywords (an example of metadata, if you want to add to your jargon vocabulary) so any keywords already in the photo could easily be captured by the forum software.

Despite a lack of any apparent technical obstacles, I won't hold my breath waiting for this enhancement.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:01 AM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I thought you were volunteering to organize and monitor it.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:13 AM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I thought you were volunteering to organize and monitor it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The standard access door under the bed of a 21 is small. Just big enough for a 10x12 drawer to be installed. The flip-up access is half the bed width, maybe 24-18 inches, but the black tank is next to the bathroom, and there is bed framing to contend with. I couldn't figure out a way to put lawn chairs in there so they ride in the tow.
I just noticed that there * is * a hatch (from under the main bed) that faces the main door that exist the trailer.

i can also see some obstructions under the bed......

In anyones opinion... are there any places that an extra access hatch COULD be added (either to the exterior or exterior) to allow me to better access nooks and crannies under the main bed (without flipping up the mattress)

thanks
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I just noticed that there * is * a hatch (from under the main bed) that faces the main door that exist the trailer.
The standard interior access to the under-bed area faces the rear of the trailer. For money, ETI will add a second access door that faces the entry/exit door. We got this option on our 21 and we do value it.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There are lift kits that will hold the mattress up for access.....research bed lift kits on the web.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There are lift kits that will hold the mattress up for access.....research bed lift kits on the web.
Here's a thread on EscapeForum and some solutions for the lift kits: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...21-a-5472.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
There are two more places to put another door in the 21' bed platform. One is at the corner and close to the entry door. The other is next to the bath. Ours is on the corner which is next to the standard door that faces toward the back of the trailer.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #49
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
The bed framing under a 21 is a hodgepodge of too short sticks fastened together. One could reframe the whole mattress platform to raise and lower, but it would be quite a bit of work. I had to reconfigure mine to work with an inclined mattress (head is 4 inches higher than the head) but the black tank and dump piping take up almost half the available space. If you REALLY want to access storage under there it would probably be easier to relocate the water heater and install a wider access hatch than standard. Can't make the hatch much taller though - I barely had room to crawl through it to work under the bed. Then again, you could raise the whole bed platform..........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #50
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
You could also remove the hot water heater if all you ever wanted it for was a hot shower. There are hot water shower heads, but they only work on AC.

https://www.theacoutlet.com/product....P10aAo498P8HAQ

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:35 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
You could also remove the hot water heater if all you ever wanted it for was a hot shower. There are hot water shower heads, but they only work on AC.

https://www.theacoutlet.com/product....P10aAo498P8HAQ
interesting - thanks.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Losangeles,
What we’ve found for weight transfer ratios with our 21 is 2:1 for bikes and 4:1 for fresh water. That is, using our bike rack and how far it holds our bikes aft of the trailer, carrying 100 lbs on the rear reduces tongue weight by 50 lbs. Adding 100 lbs of fresh water reduces tongue weight by 25 lbs.

We tow with a Honda Ridgeline (5,000# tow / 500# tongue) and so far it’s worked out great. AND we only have 250 hp with 250 torque.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Losangeles,
As far as under bed storage goes, it’s proven to be very usable, and convenient for us. As shown in the picture Charlie posted, we divided our storage into 4 uneven sections. One is for the water heater, which is to be protected. One is for that long drawer that my wife uses for her clothing and whatever. One is for shoes, and the last is for larger items that are accessible from the outside hatch. There have been some modifications since that picture was taken, but you get the idea.

The grey metal legs you see at the forward end of the drawer are our director type chairs, (with flip-up tables) so they do fit under the bed, along with a table, hand-truck, cloths line, drill, (2 batteries, charger and case) a 6 gallon empty jug of water, and various accessories.

With our under-bed storage setup the way it is, the only time I have to lift the bed access is to show others what we’ve done. So that stick used to hold up the access panel you see in the picture works just fine for us.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #54

thanks much for the great info

Old 03-02-2016, 08:17 AM   #55

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
Losangeles,
What we’ve found for weight transfer ratios with our 21 is 2:1 for bikes and 4:1 for fresh water. That is, using our bike rack and how far it holds our bikes aft of the trailer, carrying 100 lbs on the rear reduces tongue weight by 50 lbs. Adding 100 lbs of fresh water reduces tongue weight by 25 lbs.

We tow with a Honda Ridgeline (5,000# tow / 500# tongue) and so far it’s worked out great. AND we only have 250 hp with 250 torque.
Very good post TAfraser! Very good information and quite helpful for all

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote