Ridgeline for towing 21' Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #1

Trailer: -
Ridgeline for towing 21' Escape

We are thinking of buying a new Honda Ridgeline to tow a 21' Escape.

The Ridgeline has a tow capacity of 5000 lbs. The 21' Escape has a dry weight of 3210 lbs. Any ideas on what a loaded Escape would weigh? The trailer would be equipped with A/C, solar, extra insulation and the insulation underneath.

Research shows that the Ridgeline is capable of towing near its limit but I would like some room for margin. I'm estimating a loaded weight of around 4300-4500 lbs. There will only be two of us so that will increase our payload.

Anyone towed with a new Ridgeline to provide some insight into how it tows?

marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Use the Search feature to see previous discussions on towing with a Ridgeline. Enter term in the bottom search box.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 9.00.33 AM.png (40.8 KB, 22 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
My son in law has the 2017 Ridgeline - there is no way I would tow my 21 with it for a long trip. You might want to view this towing review from Autoguide.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Li'l Hauley
Living in mountainous country, you'd have to be willing to climb grades at 35-40 mph while listening to high engine RPM. I think it could shorten the service life of the vehicle.

Be sure to read Matt's Hyundai Santa Fe review, posted yesterday. The Santa Fe has similar power and tow rating.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
We are thinking of buying a new Honda Ridgeline to tow a 21' Escape.

Research shows that the Ridgeline is capable of towing near its limit but I would like some room for margin.

I have not towed with the Ridgeline, but I have towed with that same engine/transmission in the Odyssey minivan. We were towing a 13' Scamp fiberglass trailer. The engine did fine in almost all situations, but there were a few times on mountain passes when I could not maintain highway speeds where I became convinced I would need a more capable vehicle if I got a bigger trailer. We pick up our 21' in 2 weeks with a F-150. I looked at the Ridgeline seriously because I have been happy with my Honda's, but the 21' was too big for my comfort level. I liked the F150 's towing weight capability and the power available (especially at altitude).

Note that we travel all over the USA and I like to have some margin also. Others may have different expectations and needs. I know some people tow the 21' with a similar engine in a Highlander and have been satisfied.

Also, there are actual measured weights on the forums from a variety of owners if you have not found them yet if that is useful to you.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Towing 19' with Ridgeline

I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with over 300,000 Kilometers on it. It is a great truck, has great features and is incredibly reliable. However, I purchased a new 19' Escape this year and drove it from Chilliwack to Calgary over the mountains. On steeper grades, the engine was working pretty hard and RPM's exceeded 5,000 so when I replace the Ridgeline in the next year, I will be looking for a vehicle with greater torque and towing capacity. I would not want to tow a 21' with the Ridgeline.
Sawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
My classic 21 weighed 4300# and I estimate the newer models to be heavier, maybe 2-300# more, so you will be really near/close to your limit.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #8

Trailer: -
Thanks all for your insight. I really like the Ridgeline but I did suspect it might not be quite enough truck for the 21'.

Interesting that the 19' is only a few hundred pounds lighter. I'm guessing fully loaded it too will be too much for the Ridgeline.

I don't really want a full-size truck so I'm leaning towards the Tacoma or a Canyon/Colorado with the Duramax. Looks like the Duramax makes for a good tow rig and well within limits towing a 21'. The efficiency, even while towing is also quite appealing.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
That would be my choice........
Old 06-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Ford F 150, Escape 21
As a Tacoma owner pulling a 21, while I love the truck, I suggest looking at the Duramax. In either case, do a careful evaluation of the payload. I'm switching to a F150, although I probably carry a bit more stuff than most since I'm on the road for 8 - 10 months.