Ridgeline owners - what is your hitch setup? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2015, 12:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 T@B Moving to 21' Escape
Ridgeline owners - what is your hitch setup?

I have a 2006 Ridgeline and a 21' trailer to pick up at the end of this year. I have looked through the forum over the past several months and read a lot of back and forth discussion on whether to use a WDH with the Ridgeline and whether it is even necessary. It seems like some Ridgeline owners do and some don't. I would like to take an informal poll of all the Ridgeline owners with 19 or 21 foot trailers: What hitch setup to you use? If you don't have a WDH, do you use an anti-sway bar? Do you use anything other than a simple hookup? If no WDH, how much drop do you get with the trailer attached? I need to determine my ball height if no WDH - I know it varies with tongue weight but most of you are probably in the same ballpark - 350-500lbs. Thanks for any input.

Stacey
slloyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 21' Escape
I tow with a 2013 Ridgeline and only use a sway bar. I have towed over 10,0000 miles in all kinds of weather and terrain with zero problems. When I picked up the trailer the regular hitch with 1/4" drop was good for a level tow.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The spec's for a Honda Ridgeline list a GCWR of 10,000 with a GVWR for the vehicle of 6,000, this leaves a difference of 4,000 for towing, of which the 21' Escape may exceed. BlackJack weighed 3800/500 packed for 3 weeks with empty tanks. In addition the final gear ratio of 4.63 would seem to give dismal mpg while towing while allowing a larger tow capacity. Finally the full time all wheel drive may suffer over long term tow use. Just a couple of thoughts.....
Old 11-11-2015, 06:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
You may not need a WDH, but you will notice an improvement with one. I towed our 19 for over 4 years with our 2009 Pilot, and not WDH, and was comfortable, but I am also comfortable with the nuances of towing, and the effect on the vehicles. When I put the Andersen WDH on, I definitely noticed a smoother ride, where the two vehicles acted more like one.

I would say it has to do with your comfort level for the most part.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The spec's for a Honda Ridgeline list a GCWR of 10,000 with a GVWR for the vehicle of 6,000, this leaves a difference of 4,000 for towing, of which the 21' Escape may exceed. BlackJack weighed 3800/500 packed for 3 weeks with empty tanks. In addition the final gear ratio of 4.63 would seem to give dismal mpg while towing while allowing a larger tow capacity. Finally the full time all wheel drive may suffer over long term tow use. Just a couple of thoughts.....
The Ridgeline does not have full-time all-wheel drive, it's a blended drive distribution system that reverts to two-wheel drive in most driving conditions.

Also the 6000GVWR is for a loaded truck with three or more people and gear. If you are only two and don't have much gear in the truck, then you can easily get the 5000# towing capacity that is advertised. Check the manual for different towing configurations.

The Ridgeline does have a pretty significant drop in gas mileage when towing.

Haven't towed this trailer, but have towed a horse trailer that approaches or exceeds the weight of a 21 and it's fine with no WDH.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 21' Escape
I guess after over 10000 miles I had better quit towing with my Ridgeline since it may not have the towing capacity. Mine does not have all wheel drive. Maybe they made some with all wheel drive and some without but I doubt it. Some know it alls do not know it all.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

Just because you can does not make it correct. All I was trying to emphasize was some early models had some limitations. I just googled the info and stated the result. If one chooses to ignore, at least others can gleam some help.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just because you can does not make it correct. All I was trying to emphasize was some early models had some limitations. I just googled the info and stated the result. If one chooses to ignore, at least others can gleam some help.
Jim Norman
Hope you're having a good day. I appreciate your insights and will ride with you any day.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have towed with the WDH and without, and I would have to say Jim Bennett said it perfectly. A smoother ride and the vehicles act as one. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Jim Norman
Hope you're having a good day. I appreciate your insights and will ride with you any day.
Iowa Dave
Thanks Dave,
Are you just saying that to get some more of my meat cookies......
Old 11-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
One word Jim. Scrapple.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
One word Jim. Scrapple.
Hi: BCnomad... I thought it sounded more like "Scrappy"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Nah why would I do that when I could drive up to Polasheks Locker in Protivin and get some Jaternice'?
Pronounced yee- than- its- see. It's a meat cookie of its own and the barley added in gives a man the fiber he needs to go out and shovel snow or run his trap line. Or change the tranny in his tow vehicle when it fails.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I tow with a 2008 Ridgeline with nothing other than a hitch and ball. I have a 19ft Escape and before that a Casita. I towed both with just the regular gear and the Escape tows beautifully with no fancy hitches.
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
My 21 weighs in at 4200 lbs wet and loaded, about 425 lbs tongue weight. Tows fine with a Tacoma rated for 6300 lbs. I use the Andersen WD hitch (incorporates and anti-sway function) and it works very good.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
Pulling our 17B with 2011 Ridgeline, in excess of 10,000 miles past 12 months. Have the Andersen hitch ( understand no longer offered by ETI). Really like it for its ease of hook up and unhitch ( no lifting effort at all which is important if hooking unhooking on a daily basis), great anti sway, never know the trailer is back there. Factory support is superlative as request for warranty replacement of sleeve met within 4 days at my door (and that is international). Of course the question is do you need it, but I like the comfort of having the anti-sway when being buffeted by strong cross wind ( we had a huge dust devil in Arizona almost blow us sideways but the tow and trailer tracked straight without sway). Some commentary about the Ridgeline tranny...ours is 4X not AWD. When backing up steep gravel incline, several times and staying in 2X caused significant tranny overheat. My local Honda dealer changed the tainted oil twice and and monitored and another 8,000 miles towing this year confirmed no damage but definitely consider using 4X in soft ground. Attachment is Ridgeline at Bonneville (09/2014) but couldn't race as the salt flats were under water.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2044 (1).jpg  
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There are a fair number of members here who have commented on Andersen's excellent warranty service.
I'm not sure that's a good thing.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There are a fair number of members here who have commented on Andersen's excellent warranty service.
It was for them.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
For me, good follow up service is as important as the initial purchase. A company that does not hide from dealing with product shortcomings, is quite important to me.

As Andersen continues to refine their products, I am sure they will do good into the future.

Case in point, Craftsman tools from Sears. Far from the best quality, and frequently failing, but their great warranty with their no hassle return/exchange/repair policy, won them lots of customers.

This is one of the reasons I was glad to go with their Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch. A fairly new and innovative product, but fits my needs perfectly.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
The main problem with the Andersen hitch seems to be with the sleeve and I asked Andersen in an e-mail this week if it is anything we do wrong or what several solutions to the problem would be. They promptly replied that they were having quality control issues with the material that the sleeve is made out of and that they are working on it. I haven't taken mine apart yet to see what shape the old sleeve is in. It lasted a little over 3100 miles. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21', hitch, honda, ridgeline