Road hazard - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Road hazard

What I found on the highway last night:
Attached Thumbnails
20191122_road_hazard.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Bummer, nasty whatever it is. Hope it wasn't in a bad spot to deal with it. Are you going to have it patched or is the tire too damaged?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #3

I took it to the local Pep Boys today. They said the object was a screwdriver handle, one of those with interchangeable heads. It may have fallen off someone's truck. Hmm, I thought-- probably had a Robertson head: a Canadian!

They said the hole was too big to fix so I had to buy a new tire, another expensive Michelin. Ugh. So I had it replaced. $$$
Old 11-22-2019, 06:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
They said the object was a screwdriver handle, one of those with interchangeable heads.
Wow, never would've thought one of those heads could penetrate a road tire.

Sorry you had to deal with it; glad no more harm done than a (not insignificant) cash outlay, and associated "hassle time".
Old 11-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I once saw a pair of needle nosed pliers embedded in a car tire,,,,,eek
Old 11-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I fixed four to six tires every night after school when I was working with my dad in the standard oil station. In 4 years this amounted to a lot of flat tires We would put the day’s flat causing objects on a shelf and once the customer got their tire picked up, we would put the object in a large glass jar. Usually it was nails or screws. I remember a few bolts with a nut on one end. My two finest trophies were teeth from a fox or raccoon where the tire had run over the skull and the k9 tooth punctured the tire and broke off. I always hated to major damage to a good tire. Lots of people we had as customers didn’t have a lot of money and a ruined tire was a hardship.
Iowa Dave

The
Old 11-22-2019, 08:00 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape
Mike, I don't know which tire got punctured, but while I was changing a punctured passenger side tire on my trailer on I-37 I was amazed by the variety of junk and shards of metal on the shoulder of the road. Even worse in the ditch. Stay as far from the right side of the road as you can.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #8

It was the left rear tire. I felt the vibration but the tire didn't go flat right away, so I was able to drive to a place where I had a side road to pull into. Then I got out and could hear it hissing. I saw another car stop at about the place I got the puncture. He pulled off to the side and put his flashers on. Then I figured there was debris in the road so I called the authorities to send someone out to check. The deputy didn't arrive until after I was gone, an hour later.

Yeah, it took me an hour to change the tire. First I had to read the fine manual to learn how to lower the spare from its holding spot. But I also had to take breaks every now and then, from exhaustion. It was a reminder that I'm not a spring chicken. I can foresee a day when I won't be able to change a tire by myself, a sobering thought.

I had a full size spare on my Tacoma, but its wheel was labeled "For Temporary Use Only", which was interesting. The Pep Boys guys thought someone's toolbox may have fallen off of his truck. The told me that this happened to a young man on I-10 who was following a truck in his Dodge Challenger. The tools scattered over the road and destroyed all four tires and wheels on his car. Wow.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
this is why i am a member of AAA with rv service added.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Wonder what would have happened if that was a driverless Uber truck towing while looking for that four lane bridge to Hawaii?
Tom
Old 11-23-2019, 03:23 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Oh wow, I saw the picture and I thought you found my spare off the 17B, oh, to big
Old 11-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Mike, I don't know which tire got punctured, but while I was changing a punctured passenger side tire on my trailer on I-37 I was amazed by the variety of junk and shards of metal on the shoulder of the road. Even worse in the ditch. Stay as far from the right side of the road as you can.
In most parts of Texas the custom is to move over and drive on the shoulder(if wide enough) if you are on a 2 lane and a vehicle is overtaking you.

I don't do it anymore after picking up a large screw in my right front tire.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:27 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is a shame that manufacturers are shaving every corner available to save $25. My Ram1500 also had a similar spare marked "For temporary use only". These wheels/tire combos should not be used while towing. I expressed my anger to both my salesperson and the dealer owner. How they could let a vehicle advertised for towing leave the dealer with these type of tires.
I purchased a full sized rim and installed a full sized tire and now carry 2 "spares".
Old 11-23-2019, 06:44 AM   #14

I found it odd that the Tacoma has a full-sized spare, a normal tire in every way, but mounted on a rim marked "For Temporary Use Only". Usually these "temporary use" wheels are mated to smaller tires as well. The rim itself seems to be of simpler construction than the others, but it takes up the same volume in the spare tire storage area as a normal wheel and tire would. I see no reason why I couldn't replace this rim with a normal wheel and tire if I so desired.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yup, one of those things that doesn't endear you to car manufactures. My Ranger had the same situation but instead of it having a 15" wheel like all the others it was a 16" wheel.

But you're right, the question is how can they keep selling vehicles with a tow package that have spares that say "no towing". Too bad there hasn't been a class action lawsuit to end this unacceptable practice.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Here is my "Road Hazard" this was in a clump of dirty snow. It put a hole in my transmission broke a motor mount and bent the driveshaft carrier bearing.
Attached Thumbnails
20190218_143454a.jpg  
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Had the same thing happen with a screwdriver puncturing the tire. I got to see it fall off the truck in front of me. Had plenty of room between us but nowhere to go as it was 4 lanes of interstate during rush hour.
It bounced a few times toward the center of the lane until the last bounce back to the left. Went straight in the back tire.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Full-sized but temporary-use tires are lighter and less expensive than regular tires. they are also mounted on less expensive wheels than the regular wheels. No matter what people say about the cost or weight, I doubt that many buyers would choose to pay more and give up even a few pounds of payload to get a better spare that they never expect to use. It would be rational to include a regular tire and wheel with a towing package, but then - as we have seen in forums like this - lots of people buy vehicles without towing preparation packages and expect to tow with them, so it is not reasonable to expect rational behaviour from buyers or to expect them to understand why the package costs so much and weighs so much.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
Here is my "Road Hazard" this was in a clump of dirty snow. It put a hole in my transmission broke a motor mount and bent the driveshaft carrier bearing.
Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
What I found on the highway last night:
That wasn’t very good ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote