Safe Towing Speed? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #21

Trailer: No RV at this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Andersen No-Sway WD is designed specifically for sway control, but has it its own issues.
I know the Andersen No-Sway will not work with surge brakes. What issues are there with it if you have electric brakes? All the reviews seem to be quite glowing.
jeromed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Wow! Clearly their debt to sales ratio was skewed! That is some expensive equipment to pay off. Look at all that inventory! "All must go!"

Quite a contrast to ETI's hand-built-to-order business model.
It's kind of sad, though. I don't know Hymer's story, but I hate to see someone go out of business. Jobs are lost and someone's dream has died.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromed View Post
I know the Andersen No-Sway will not work with surge brakes. What issues are there with it if you have electric brakes? All the reviews seem to be quite glowing.
There is a current thread specifically about the Andersen No-Sway, so I have moved my response to there:
Andersen Hitch - post #34
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Wow! Clearly their debt to sales ratio was skewed! That is some expensive equipment to pay off. Look at all that inventory! "All must go!"

Quite a contrast to ETI's hand-built-to-order business model.
Li'l Snoozy had this issue, but I don't think Hymer did. Hymer North America was running on a significant scale, and as the combination of a long-established Class B motorhome manufacturer and a huge European broad-range RV manufacturer I'm sure that their people knew their business. Their operation was killed by killed by financial mismanagement (possibly fraudulent and criminal), rather than their manufacturing planning and methods.

But yes, it is a different approach from that of Escape Trailer Industries.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You can cover a lot of country in a day if you so desire at 62 mph and get pretty good milage and pay attention to the world around you. ( Read that IDIOTS attached to cell phones with their heads in a McDonald’s bag). Speed is not the key, it’s common sense, solid planning ahead, combining necessary stops for all passengers and attention to the job at hand. USAC does not have an all molded towable division, even if you have a Miller /Offenhauser under the hood.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-14-2019, 03:58 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
It's not my normal traveling speed, but I've gone as high as about 78MPH without any sway issues in a 19' Escape. That's with a WDH and swaybar, though the swaybar was probably under-tightened. That's also with a large-ish lithium bank plus a Victron inverter/charger (~170lbs total) under the dinette seats, which means tongue weight is higher than stock but also the weight is closer to the axle (which is good for stability/sway). At that speed the sway was noticeably less damped than at lower speeds, but still positively damped.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Cool Trailer towing speed

Colorado Trailer Speed Limit Laws
Same as passenger cars/trucks.

Some states have different speeds for towing, California for example:

California Trailer Speed Limit Laws
Maximum speed for any vehicle towing another vehicle is 55 mph.

https://trailers.com/state-laws

So, if you are going to travel interstate, it would behoove you to acquaint yourself with the laws of the state you are going to travel in.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I realize the California state towing law with a towed trailer is 55mph, but to see one going that slow, especially on an interstate is near impossible. Do they actually monitor and penalize this?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I realize the California state towing law with a towed trailer is 55mph, but to see one going that slow, especially on an interstate is near impossible. Do they actually monitor and penalize this?

My experience in California:

Unofficially, over 60 is a No.
Per very informal discussion w/ CHP officer: "I want my freeway's traffic to flow", so stuff that's over or under that flow speed draws attention.

I usually tow at 62-64, which is typically where the trucks are running.

Also, my auto.trans. locks up at 62-63 on flat and generally level, so that works well. I've had CHP's drive by while I was at that speed, glance over to check out the connections between tow and trailer, and just keep going.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Not particularly strictly as far as I can tell, although I generally stick in the vicinity of 60MPH in CA. Just as well, really - with CA gas prices, higher speeds are expensive even without a ticket!
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
Not particularly strictly as far as I can tell, although I generally stick in the vicinity of 60MPH in CA. Just as well, really - with CA gas prices, higher speeds are expensive even without a ticket!

E.G.: Costco gas in Oxnard, CA, on US-101: $3.46/gal
Costco gas in Albuquerque, NM, just south of I-40: $2.33/gal

so, we go slow.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
I tow at between 55 to 64 mph, mostly right at 60. It’s fast enough for me. I’ve always had that slow problem even as a teenager. Not saying I haven’t tested my limits once or twice. (Usually some sort of substance involved.)
45 years ago when my wife started hanging around with me I offered to drive her to an appointment. She looked at me from the passenger seat and said “ we’re not ever going to get there at this speed”, to which I replied “ honey, that place has been there ever since I was a little kid. It ain’t going no where”. Still like that today.
My favorite road, the Natchez Trace parkway. 480 miles, 50 miles per hour, no tractor trailers.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #33

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
My favorite road, the Natchez Trace parkway. 480 miles, 50 miles per hour, no tractor trailers.
And free camping
Old 07-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
And free camping
Ya free camping. We always spend a couple days at Davis Lake Forest Campground, not free, 13 bucks a nite with the senior pass. Fishing good there to.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Ventura highway CHIP stop

Three years ago I was towing my 19 Escape trailer " too long" in the middle of the three lane northbound highway. I was stopped by the highway patrol and was warned instead of ticketed. He told me because I was driving the speed limit (55 towing), I was not given a fine. I had my cruise control set at 57 at the time of the pull over.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Post#35 brings up a pet peeve of mine. I always stay in right lane unless passing OR when the right lane is making me feel nauseous from the up and down porpoising motion while the left lane is smooth as silk. I then drive in left lane until someone approaches, I pull over to right lane and once passed return to the left lane til the road become smoother.. Anyone else do this?
Old 07-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #37

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I try to stay to the right but not when I get a city or similar and the traffic is anything but light. Cars coming on and off the exit ramps cause too many problems for someone with a trailer, I get over in the center lane.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
🤨Once drove from LA to San Francisco and back and saw more idiot drivers than I'd seen in the previous 5 years. This is in spite of having more laws probably than any 3 other states in the country. 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
If I was out in the country and the roads were cool, I had no problem pulling the 17B at 118km/h. That was the ideal speed for driving in OD while monitoring trans temps. If the roads were hot or I was in traffic, I would keep it at 90 to 100 km/h.

The worry for me wasn’t the tires, it was the rather small bearings.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I try to stay to the right but not when I get a city or similar and the traffic is anything but light. Cars coming on and off the exit ramps cause too many problems for someone with a trailer, I get over in the center lane.
This is what we do also.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote