Safety chains - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Safety chains

On sale at Etrailer, the coiled type....RoadMaster 68" Single Hook, Coiled Safety Cables - 6,000 lbs Roadmaster Safety Chains and Cables RM-643
Old 02-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Jim,
How come you are always trying to get me to spend my retirement money?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Jim,
How come you are always trying to get me to spend my retirement money?
You can not take it with you, when I leave I plan on having my last check bounce....
Old 02-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Taking it with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You can not take it with you, when I leave I plan on having my last check bounce....
There are no pockets on a casket.
I've never seen a hearse stop at a bank and make a withdrawal.
And finally "if I can't take it with me, I ain't going."
Can I get an Amen? Amen!
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
They seem too long of a travel trailer.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Just my opinion but I installed a set of these on my Boler and hated them, changed back to chains.
Two main reasons, first I found battling with the coiled cable a fight. Secondly and more important if the trailer becomes detached these will not cradle the tongue, the trailer will separate and the tongue will drag.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #7

Dropping a trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Just my opinion but I installed a set of these on my Boler and hated them, changed back to chains.
Two main reasons, first I found battling with the coiled cable a fight. Secondly and more important if the trailer becomes detached these will not cradle the tongue, the trailer will separate and the tongue will drag.
We dropped a mower and trailer off the ball while going down the Interstate in Omaha once. The chains were close to dragging and too long. The tongue did not cradle and hit a crack in the highway and then hopped up and punched a hole in the tailgate and destroyed the bumper. Then there was the laundry cleaning bill for the guys in the pickup too. Nobody hurt, mower ok, got it hooked back up and limped home.
Jeez that was loud. Coupler was adjusted too loose.
Dave
Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
As already noted, these are too long for a normal trailer. As shown in the eTrailer illustrations, they are for a towbar system, in which the chain or cable (cables are normally used in this case) reach from the hitch, all the way along the tow bars from the motorhome to the towed vehicle, and normally then further along the towed vehicle to an anchor point.

For those who like cables, here are a couple more suitable (and much less expensive) sets from the same retailer:
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:10 AM   #9

Of course you need the correct length, I was merely pointing out the coiled vs chain option. I'm curious why Ian did not like them? I have installed them on several units and they keep the area neater as well as the connection.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Almost sounds like the prevalent attitude in Congress.

Sorry, slightly political!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
I'm sure your children will always remember that.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The coiled nature is billed as an advantage, but if they are still significantly coiled when hooked up they will be too long if the trailer decouples. I would only be interested in cables without the coil; for an Escape, even the 40-inch size is probably far too long in uncoiled length.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The coiled nature is billed as an advantage, but if they are still significantly coiled when hooked up they will be too long if the trailer decouples. I would only be interested in cables without the coil; for an Escape, even the 40-inch size is probably far too long in uncoiled length.
Yes, I measured mine just now, about 28" for the stock link chain plus hook length.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
When my neighbor bought a used trailer he took it down to the local Rv repair shop to straighten a few thing out. One thing they did was replace the safety chains because they were very rusty and under sized according to the dealer. His trailer weighted in around 4500 lbs The new chains they claimed could handle a 6000 LB trailer.

Well , a few months later as he went over railroad tracks, the trailer uncoupled and Snapped both chains. There he was, 2 one foot chains hanging from the coupler, and no trailer behind him. The RV dealer took no responsibility, and I don't know the actual chain and hook size.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #15

Chain

There can be considerable variation in chain ratings even in same size chain. In addition the whole system has to be in concert with adequate ratings in bar stock securing the Chain to the trailer, welds, S hooks, attachment hooks and attachment point. Regular inspection of the whole setup is always a good idea with replacement
of worn or rusted components always a requirement not just a good idea. Since destructive testing is out, vigilance and Understanding are always in.
Dave
Old 02-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
There can be considerable variation in chain ratings even in same size chain. In addition the whole system has to be in concert with adequate ratings in bar stock securing the Chain to the trailer, welds, S hooks, attachment hooks and attachment point. Regular inspection of the whole setup is always a good idea with replacement
of worn or rusted components always a requirement not just a good idea. Since destructive testing is out, vigilance and Understanding are always in.
Dave
Absolutely right Dave. For safety chains I would recommend grade 70 or above. Another curve ball is that many chains are marked as grade 70 but they actually aren't - usually cheap imports with poor quality control.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Years ago I had a bolt-on device which was mounted under the coupler and once the coupler was attached to the ball, a heavy steel arm pivoted down and forward and pinned in place so that there was approximately 1/4 inch of clearance between it and the shank of the ball, If the coupler came loose and bounced, it could not come off the ball because the pivoting steel arm wouldn't allow the couple to move upward. It was a great piece of safety equipment and I think it was called "Saf-T-Hitch." That was in the late 80s or early 90s. I don't think it is being marketed anymore and that is a shame; it worked well.

Edit: Just found a product (Google Durasafe Coupler Protect) that essentially does the same thing.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #18

Chain

The best chain we ever bought was square link security chain from Pewag. A grinder can cut it but bolt cutters bounce like bullets off of Superman. We chained up off season trailers, snow plows, implements, etc. it's sold all over the world by specialty rigging outfits. I'd bring a piece to a rally and challenge all comers with bolt cutters but they'd all be mad when they bruised the jaws on their Kliens and Porter Cables.
Dave
Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The best chain we ever bought was square link security chain from Pewag. A grinder can cut it but bolt cutters bounce like bullets off of Superman. We chained up off season trailers, snow plows, implements, etc. it's sold all over the world by specialty rigging outfits. I'd bring a piece to a rally and challenge all comers with bolt cutters but they'd all be mad when they bruised the jaws on their Kliens and Porter Cables.
Dave
Are you going to provide the Tylenol / Motrin after they try :} Pewag is considered to be the best available. Use it for anything that needs chain here and the house in Maine log chain etc .

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote