Sliding hitch on short bed Chevy Colorado necessary? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Sliding hitch on short bed Chevy Colorado necessary?

Hi Folks,

We recently put down the down payment on a 5.0TA for pickup in April. We are picking out our tow vehicle and will likely get a GMC Canyon 4X4 (cousin to the Chevy Colorado). We haven't decided on whether to get the short or long bed. I'd rather have the short bed for the maneuverability and better off road capability. It seems that if we were to get the short bed, then we will have to also get a sliding hitch. So I'd really appreciate some feedback from folks towing a 5.0 or 5.0TA using a short bed Colorado/Canyon. Do you use a sliding hitch and if so, how often do you have to slide it to the rear? Thanks.
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #2

I've done a little more research and note that a lot of folks like the Anderson Ultimate hitch over a conventional 5th wheel hitch. So my question now is, can that hitch be used on a short bed Canyon/Colorado and still proved enough clearance to the cab? Is there some way to mount the hitch over the axle but offset the ball a bit to the rear? Thanks.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
2018 GMC Canyon long bed with Duramax Diesel on order and will be using the Anderson Ultimate hitch as it will save 100 lbs over standard 5th wheel hitch, the slider mechanism would increase the weight even more. 30 pound Anderson versus say 125 pound standard 5th wheel hitch. Something to think about every time you need to install or remove the 5th wheel hitch.

Either way you have to use the Universal Rails as no one ever thought anyone would be towing a 5th Wheel with this platform and why only Universal mounting option.

The difference between short and long bed on this platform is in my mind not enough to make that much difference on street maneuverability.

I'm going with long bed as I know it will work with 5.0TA and Trademasters in Chilliwack has already installed 5h wheel hitches on this platform.

You can always give Trademasters a call and see what they think since they already have experience with the Colordo/Canyon and Escape Trailers.

Cheers!
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkordzi View Post
I've done a little more research and note that a lot of folks like the Anderson Ultimate hitch over a conventional 5th wheel hitch. So my question now is, can that hitch be used on a short bed Canyon/Colorado and still proved enough clearance to the cab? Is there some way to mount the hitch over the axle but offset the ball a bit to the rear? Thanks.
Yes. The frame of the Andersen Ultimate can be placed in one of two positions, with the forward position placing the ball a few inches ahead of the mounting rail centre, and the rearward position placing the ball the same distance behind the mounting rail centre. The rails are usually centred slightly ahead of the axle line.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #5

Thanks. I will call Trademasters Monday. I'm hoping I can use one of the Anderson Ultimate Hitch styles (goosneck or rail) and be able to get a short bed.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #6

I spoke to Trademasters and they confirmed that a short bed Colorado/Canyon would be fine with the Anderson Ultimate. The ball would be mounted so it is biased to the tailgate and the pin adapter for the 5.0TA would be mounted so it is biased forward. They said that together, this configuration would allow the hitch to be over the axles and even with the short bed prevent the 5.0TA from hitting the cab even on a tight turn. I'd like to get a turnover ball for the bed but haven't figured out if its available for the Colorado/Canyon yet.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have the Anderson ultimate with the turn around ball hitch on my ford 150 short bed works great did some very tight turn arounds no issues.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canyon, short bed, sliding