So, how fast do you drive towing? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We usually drive at or just under the speed limit, as long as it's under 70.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #42

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
58 - 62 on the interstate. Speed limit otherwise.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I use my tachometer more when towing as I like to keep it 1800-2000 rpms, no sense racing up a hill at 3500 rpm when a little slower at 2500 will do the trick. My average speed is approximately 55 with stops avery 3 hours for fuel and walking the dogs.
That said, when some roads cause the harmonic distortion effect. I stay in the fast lane, seems like there, the pavement is smoother, if they want to pass I'll pull over but go back when clear.
Jim I have found the fast lane rides so much smoother too . I do the same even though my brother gives me flak about it . Maybe the other lanes the big trucks run the road down . And for tires , gas etc. really don't like to go over 60 . I will make a rare pass at 65 too. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Also always use pullouts if I am going slower then others . I think it just is good manners . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
So, how fast do you drive towing?

I must say that I too have noticed drivers in BC and Alberta that speed up upon entering a passing zone. Once I moved from northern BC to southern Alberta I noticed another interesting phenomena, drivers that fly past you on a straight road only to hit the brakes and crawl slowly around a corner then fly again [emoji848]
I also agree with Pat and use pull outs when there is traffic behind us. Some pull outs are quite nice, requiring a coffee break sans Baileys.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I drive fast enough to scare my wife and slow enough to P_SS off all the drivers around us.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
I also agree with Pat and use pull outs when there is traffic behind us. Some pull outs are quite nice, requiring a coffee break sans Baileys.

Cheers
Doug
While I too do like Pat does and pull over to give faster drivers an easy safe way to pass, and also appreciate it when others do it for me when required, but I must once more admonish your practice of ruining a good cup of coffee with yuckiness. Shame on you.

BTW, I had a great Oxtail Poutine, with a couple sunny side up eggs on top, for breakfast this morning here on Granville Island in Vancouver. Very scrumptious.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
While I too do like Pat does and pull over to give faster drivers an easy safe way to pass, and also appreciate it when others do it for me when required, but I must once more admonish your practice of ruining a good cup of coffee with yuckiness. Shame on you.

But Jim I said "sans Baileys" [emoji56]

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I must say that I too have noticed drivers in BC and Alberta that speed up upon entering a passing zone.
It seems that many drivers are incapable of taking charge of their own driving, and mostly follow those around them. As a result, they speed up when you pass them, but will also slow down if you slow down, whether is is a short passing lane or an endless multi-lane highway. It's like having the younger sibling that just hangs around being annoying.

Quote:
Once I moved from northern BC to southern Alberta I noticed another interesting phenomena, drivers that fly past you on a straight road only to hit the brakes and crawl slowly around a corner then fly again
That actually makes some sense, if the vehicle or driver is at all challenged by the turns. In an area where are are few curves in the road, it is not surprising.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
But Jim I said "sans Baileys" [emoji56]

Cheers
Doug
Oops, I stand corrected. So great to see you are growing up to be a good coffee drinker.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
On the interstates I'll drive about 60 mph and on secondary roads the speed limit 'cause I don't like people following behind and pull outs are one of my best friends. Anything over 60 and the mpg starts going down in a hurry.

I really like having lots of space between me and the car ahead. Ya see, I'm not as young as I'd like to think and my reaction time has slowed a bit so this gives me that extra moment to react. I may get to point B after everyone else but I'll be relaxed and ready for a good cold one.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
On the interstates I'll drive about 60 mph and on secondary roads the speed limit 'cause I don't like people following behind and pull outs are one of my best friends. Anything over 60 and the mpg starts going down in a hurry.

I really like having lots of space between me and the car ahead. Ya see, I'm not as young as I'd like to think and my reaction time has slowed a bit so this gives me that extra moment to react. I may get to point B after everyone else but I'll be relaxed and ready for a good cold one.

Or a nice cup of coffee with Baileys [emoji6]

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Heading home through Idaho and Washington I found myself on a long, winding climb on a secondary highway, and found myself behind a tandem gravel truck.
He obeyed the signs to use the pullouts, but the pullouts were, at most, a couple hundred feet long. He didn't stop because he would be a traffic hazard trying to pull back into traffic.
I made two attempts to overtake him ( towing the trailer ). The second time I almost got alongside and he pulled into my lane. Don't blame him cause he really had nowhere else to go.
Some highway engineer may have thought these pullouts were a good idea, and so did the law makers, but, in practice they were a hazard.
So, I sat behind that gravel truck for a half hour or more, climbing the hills at 10 mph at times.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #54

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post

Even when not towing I add the trailing distance a tail gater does not give me. That way when the white tail deer decides to change direction the tail gater does not rear end me. If I am at 70 MPH and the driver behind me is 5 car lengths or less with no one ahead I just slow down when we reach a passing place. I am usually ready to hit the brakes as he/she goes by in case they come back in too soon spraying snow/gravel at my windshield.

I don't worry too much about mule deer. I am ready to stop for Mr. Moose.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Heading home through Idaho and Washington I found myself on a long, winding climb on a secondary highway, and found myself behind a tandem gravel truck.
He obeyed the signs to use the pullouts, but the pullouts were, at most, a couple hundred feet long. He didn't stop because he would be a traffic hazard trying to pull back into traffic.
I made two attempts to overtake him ( towing the trailer ). The second time I almost got alongside and he pulled into my lane. Don't blame him cause he really had nowhere else to go.
Some highway engineer may have thought these pullouts were a good idea, and so did the law makers, but, in practice they were a hazard.
So, I sat behind that gravel truck for a half hour or more, climbing the hills at 10 mph at times.
Are you talking about pullouts (which are a place to stop), or passing lanes (a limited section of highway with an extra lane, usually with a "keep right except to pass" sign)? If these were pullouts, there wouldn't usually be a sign saying to use them, and driving through them without stopping would be dangerously misusing them. If they were passing lanes, then they were apparently poorly placed (not on the slowest climbs), or you just didn't have enough difference in performance to take advantage of them and you should have followed the gravel truck up them.

At an actual pull-out, the truck would not have been a hazard pulling back into traffic from stopped, because he would have waited for a sufficient gap in traffic, just like any vehicle joining the highway from an intersecting road with a stop sign.

Which one?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #56

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I drive fast enough to scare my wife and slow enough to P_SS off all the drivers around us.
Best of both worlds

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #57

The pull outs I'm use to are areas where you you can stop and they usually have a garbage can and some have washrooms.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #58

These pullouts, not passing lanes, were all of 200 feet long, gravel, and uphill ( considerable grade ). If that tandem were to have stopped it would take a long time to get back on the highway having lost all his momentum.
It was mandatory to use the pullouts according to signs.
I would anticipate, pound the accelerator to the floor and because of the slow speed we were going, and the grade, I had no hope to get past.
In one case, the pullout ended and the road went left around a blind curve. If there had been a car passing, it would have hit the oncoming car head on.
200' may be an exaggeration. More like the length of three tandem gravel trucks.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #59

Trailer: 2012 15A
There are areas on some BC highways where you see a sign saying "Slow Vehicles Use Pullout To Let Vehicles Pass" or something like that. The ones I have observed are very short sections, like Glen described, where the slow vehicle would most likely have to come to full stop to allow for the traffic behind to pass. The slow vehicle would then have to merge back onto the highway when safe to do so.

My impression is that these "Pullouts" are not utilized by most drivers for the exact reason that Glen stated - it would often be difficult for the slow moving vehicle to get back into the line of traffic. And I am wiling to bet that most people don't even see the signs or understand what a "Pullout" is I have seen some people use them and have used them myself on one or two occasions (usually to let someone who is tailgating to get past).

There are a couple of these "Pullouts" along the Sea to Sky Highway 99 from West Van to Squamish. They are located in very curvy sections closer to Horseshoe Bay. Seldom are they used, especially during busy times.

In BC, places to "Stop" are called "Rest Areas "and some may have washroom facilities. You can nap but are not supposed to camp overnight in these areas.

Here is a link where you can find the 170 or so "Rest Stops" or "Rest Areas" in BC on a map.
BC Highway Rest Areas

So we have "Pullouts", "Rest Areas" and "Passing Lanes".

And we still have accidents.

Go camping and stay close to the fire, a nice safe place to pull over.

No sense to be "Dead Right" by not being able to pass that gravel truck if he is not going to stop in the "Pullout". Best just to stay behind and hope for a "Passing Lane" or straight road section ahead.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #60

You'd be nuts to use some pullouts. It would take an hour for traffic to ease enough to get back on the highway.