So, how fast do you drive towing? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #81

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Unsolicitated recommendations

Eric,

Tucson is a favorite winter spot. I'd suggest a visit to the Biosphere 2 north of town. Impressive domes.....and big, impressive, expensive but ultimately loony facility. Catalina S.P. near there is sweet. I could go on, but enjoy the escape from tundra wasteland Wisconsin winter.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #82

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Jim are Marathon's really rated at 75 mph? I thought all ST tires were 65 mph rated.
The tires on my Casita clearly say 65 mph max

!
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #83

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
From Carlisle:

How fast can I travel on Carlisle trailer tires?

In the past, most trailer tires were rated at 62 or 65 mph. Today, some of our tires are "rated" (speed symbols) at 87 mph (N), some at 75 mph (L), some at 65 mph (J: ST tires) and some at 62 mph (J: non-metric tires).

Please remember that speed ratings are test speeds and not recommended driving speeds. The ratings apply only to the tire itself, and not a particular vehicle. The speed rating does not mean that the vehicle can be safely operated at the tire's rated speed.

We recommend driving no more than 60 mph when towing a trailer. Please always drive at a safe speed and abide by the posted speed limit.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #84

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Pulling over onto the shoulder, at postsed highway speeds, to allow others to pass was something I first encountered in Alberta in the mid 70's driving from Calgary to Medicine Hat, the Trans Canada HIghway. This was well before my trailer pulling days. Back then, being in my mid 20's, I thought it was such a great idea.
As John later realized, this is a terrible idea, but it was common here and is still done occasionally. I have never done it and will never do it, and I will not pass anyone who is driving down the shoulder unless I can safely and legally use the other lane - I just wait for them to clue in and get back on the road.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #85

Oh no... the ST speed rating nightmare. Be prepared for controversy...

Quote:
Jim are Marathon's really rated at 75 mph? I thought all ST tires were 65 mph rated.
Yes, Marathons are rated for 75 mph under specific conditions, but yes, the basic ST speed rating is 65 mph.

In addition to explicit speed ratings (as explained in the Carlisle material quoted), even an ST tire with no speed rating can be allowed over 65 mph under specific conditions. Goodyear (but not Carlisle) publishes the inflation and loading conditions under which higher speeds are allowed, and what the higher allowed speed is. All Escapes have large enough tires (compared to the trailer weight) that they can meet the load and inflation conditions for higher speed while staying within the rated maximum inflation pressure.

I think the Goodyear versus Carlisle difference is in what they choose to publish, rather than the actual tires, which are designed to meet TRA's Special Trailer standards in either case.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:13 AM   #86

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
The 55 MPH when towing speed limit in CA applies to both trailer towing and trucks, and we all usually settle around 60 MPH. There are, of course, exceptions.
Yep, tell that to the CHP officer who followed me off the freeway and happily gave me a $30 ticket for speeding. I was doing 60 mph towing a U-Haul. This was back in the mid 60's when $30 was a heck of a lot of money.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:23 AM   #87

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
If you can increase the tire pressure 10 lbs beyond the minimum required pressure for your trailer weight, these ST tires are rated for 75 mph. I know with my 19 this was no problem. I have always kept the tires on any trailer I own, or have owned, at the maximum pressure.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...plications.pdf
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #88

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Thanks Jim. I had never seen that. Apparently it only applies to Goodyear tires as I can find nothing similar about Carlisle's

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #89

Trailer: 2001 Casita
According to Discount Tires Carlisle tires are rated N. N designates 85 mph.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...=TXRINT&cs=205
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky View Post
According to Discount Tires Carlisle tires are rated N. N designates 85 mph.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...=TXRINT&cs=205
Different models and sizes of tires have different speed ratings. It is common for even tires in the same model line to have different speed ratings... but if you check them all you might find they all happen to be the same. I wouldn't trust Discount Tire, though - they previously showed many Carlisle tires as speed index "R", because their broken web site extracted the "R" for "radial" from the tire spec instead of the actual index. Carlisle doesn't seem to like to publish comprehensive specifications tables (like major manufacturers of car and truck tires all do).

That one has a designation of "ST205/75R14 100N" (the spaces and "C1 BSW" shown on the end are added by Discount Tire); the 100N on the end means a Load Index of 100 (1764 pounds or 800 kg) and a Speed Index of N (87 mph or 140 km/h).
Old 03-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #91

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
So, how fast do you drive towing?

Carlisle site is very confusing on speed rating. They state one place that ST tires are 65 mph rated but then also talk about N rated. Aside from Discount Tire listing that tire as an N I don't see any information that our Escape size Carlisles are anything but "regular " ST's. I looked on my fairly new ones and there is nothing to say it is otherwise

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #92

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I recently bought a set of Carlisle radial trailer tires . I too was confused about their speed rating . I called Carlisle and they recommended that I keep my maximum speed to 60 MPH.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #93

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I recently bought a set of Carlisle radial trailer tires . I too was confused about their speed rating . I called Carlisle and they recommended that I keep my maximum speed to 60 MPH.
well there you have it.

just what i do when towing. 60 mph max, period.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:37 AM   #94

Quote:
... Aside from Discount Tire listing that tire as an N I don't see any information that our Escape size Carlisles are anything but "regular " ST's. I looked on my fairly new ones and there is nothing to say it is otherwise
If the tire designation moulded into the sidewall doesn't have a load and speed index on the end (after the ST205/75R15), then you have default ST specs: 65 mph, or more with reduced load.

The Discount listing for the Carlisle Radial Trail RH in ST205/75R15 (the Escape size) has the same speed rating of "N" (and the higher load index of 107 which goes with the larger size). I have no idea where Discount gets their specs: off the sidewall, from a spec sheet...