So, how fast do you drive towing? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
55 mph.

Never higher than 60

55 is state law in California.

I am not comfortable with anything higher than 60!

Physics!!!!
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim99 View Post
This could probably be its own topic, but I can't help but asking:

why do western canadians speed up in passing lanes? This is the usual situation: 90kph speed limit, car at the lead of the pack is driving 70 or so. Passing lane ahead... when lead car reaches the passing lane, they speed up such that only one or two cars behind the are able to pass before the end of the passing lane. The two lucky cars will continue on down the road at 90 or so, while lead car will slow down to 70 (until the next passing lane).

I've yet to find a single example of a Canadian who will keep their speed constant when entering a passing lane area. All will gun their engines, and when the passing lane ends, they slow back down to the speed limit (or below).

I will admit that I only noticed this behavior in southern BC and Alberta, but not further north (northern bc, northern ab, yukon, nwt). It makes using the cruise control very difficult.
Am I understanding you correctly? You are upset because Canadians follow the law and drive at the posted speed limit ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2012 15A
Did a trip down to Yuma AZ this past Nov/Dec.
I made a comment to my brother about how the vast majority of the drivers on the US Interstates were so courteous and generally seemed to follow the rules and speed limits.

His answer was something like they all know that the driver they may upset could be packing and they don't want to upset anyone. Made sense to me.

We did note the 55 mph speed limits on the CA highways for trailer towing. But we generally drove the speed of the traffic which was obviously higher than 55. Fortunately we never got stopped to explain why we were not obeying the posted speed.

I like driving at about 60 mph (100 kph) but it is so easy to creep up above that speed with a light trailer as we have. Do notice the change in gas consumption as the average speed exceeds 60.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim99 View Post
This could probably be its own topic, but I can't help but asking: why do western canadians speed up in passing lanes?
Repressed aggression. It comes out when we drive. When you talk to us, we are nice, like.....well....Canadians when we drive, we are the most obnoxious bunch out there There's a certain anonymity when you're driving.

I like to stick to under 60 mph for the best mileage but am quite comfortable towing at any speed under 85. My tv outweighs the trailer by quite a bit so its very stable. Maximum tire speed is a bit of a concern. Its probably worse of an issue in really hot areas.

California speeds are bothersome: 55 mph for a trailer rig. Its okay on the bigger hwys because at least people can get around you, but on single lane roads you end up with a long line of vehicles behind. If you pull off the road to let them pass, there's no point in getting back on the road. Its also unfair when compared to the truck camper crowd who get to go full tilt wobbling down the road.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #25

Trailer: 2005 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Am I understanding you correctly? You are upset because Canadians follow the law and drive at the posted speed limit ?
No, I was commenting that someone driving 20kph under the speed limit, will suddenly speed up to the speed limit or above, but only when there is a passing lane. After they've thwarted most of the drivers behind them at the passing lane, they will return to their leisurely driving speed. Mostly seen on trans-canada between Vancouver and Calgary (to be honest, just the mountainous sections). These passing lanes are usually on uphill grades, so they're not accidentally speeding up.

I could never be upset at Canadians following the law and driving at the posted speed limit... because so few do! I will restrict this comment to drivers going up and down the coquilhalla in BC, or hwy 2 in Alberta. And the Trans-Canada east of Chillawack.
Jim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I tow at 60 mph on interstate highways and wherever else the speed limit allows. And yes, headwinds kill your mileage, as I discovered driving home from Merritt Island last Thursday.

I use my Tacoma's cruise control while towing, although its owner's manual says not to. I get serious nerve pain in my right leg if I press on the accelerator for long periods, so I feel like I have no choice. I'm guessing Toyota feels that using cruise control slows reaction time, hence the statement about using it when towing. If it's another reason, I'd like to know.

I discovered that I can vary my speed on cruise control by raising and lowering its lever when it is on, thus helping me match my speed to the vehicle in front. It took only me two years to find this nifty feature, since I didn't RTFM thoroughly. Adaptive cruise control would be nice to have.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:38 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I read the comment to refer to drivers who are often driving at or below the posted speed limit but speed up and often exceed the posted limit when they are in a passing lane zone. Rather than maintaining their speed and letting those behind them, who want to go a bit faster, get past. Once through the passing lane zone they once again slow down to the speed they were doing before the passing lane zone.

It Happens, all the time.

Most of our highways in BC are only two lanes. This is directly related to either mountainous terrain or in most cases low population densities that do not warrant the cost of a four lane divided highway. California has 1.1 times the population of Canada and Canada is 23.5 times larger in size. As Karen noted, passing lanes are often located where there is easier terrain or longer uphill sections where additional room is available to enable constructing a passing lane. I think the drivers behind the slower vehicles get impatient and can't wait to pass. When the driver in front speeds up in a passing lane you really notice it. I often wonder if it is a conscious decision to speed up of if they do as Karen noted, just speed up because the road may be less intimidating because it has double lanes and may seem safer to speed up?

As I get older I tend to accept what other drivers do but sometimes it is hard to ignore and easy to get caught up in the craziness.

One of the best highway improvements in BC resulted from the 2010 Olympics, the upgrades to the Sea to Sky Highway, Hwy 99, from Vancouver to Whistler. That road was a nightmare to drive on a Friday or Sunday, winter night when everyone was going to or from the ski resort. Dark, often raining and sometimes snowing. There were very few opportunities to pass on the curvy highway, in particular the section built along the side of the mountains along Howe sound. The highway was well know for the number of deaths resulting from MVAs. With the upgrades to the highway it is now mostly four lanes, some with separated grades and no-post concrete medians in others. A lot more people now make it up and back for the weekend in their own vehicle rather than in the back of an ambulance or hearse. Those who choose to drive slower at the speed they are comfortable with can do so without impeding those who wish to go faster. Less of the noted speeding up in the passing lane occurring, but it is still there. It is now a much more pleasant highway to drive. And the views are spectacular when you get a nice clear day to drive it.

Some great camping in the Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton areas with lots of recreational options for most outdoor enthusiasts. I have been driving the highway to Whistler since 1973 and am still in awe of the natural beauty along the entire stretch. Winter or summer, it is a tourist delight.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
It depends a lot on the terrain and the highway, but around 65 mph seem to be the sweet spot for my rig. I never did like to push an engine very hard. The cruise is alright towing on flat ground, but there is too much shifting on rolling terrain. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Never over 15 mph
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:46 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
In school zones...

Generally 55-65 on hghwy
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:55 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I swear there are some drivers who are out to kill you. I have no idea why, but they righteously speed up because you dare to pass them when they are doing the speed limit.
Three times in my driving career I have pulled out to pass a vehicle going just under the speed limit. There was no passing lane, but passing was permitted and there was no oncoming traffic. And, three times, the car I was passing sped up to prevent me from getting by. Three times oncoming traffic suddenly appeared in view and three times I had to make a decision to get back into the right lane.
At that point, I didn't care if that car was in the right lane beside me or not. That was where I was going.
When towing, I've only tried to pass once and the guy in the motor
home ( doing 70 kph in a 90 zone ) sped up. I have since made the decision not to pass, no matter what the situation. And, I hope that &^%( + is in the ditch.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:20 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
55-60 on highway . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #33

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I try and stay 2-3 mph under the speed limit, up to about 68. I do the same without the trailer but without the top end. I use the cruise alot when traffic is light and the hills don't cause shifting, tow/haul mode helps.

Sweet spot for mph? The slower the better, but at $1.60 a gallon I'm not overly concerned.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:03 AM   #34

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
With the Escape tires rated at 65mph I keep my speed at around 63-65. In the (very) rare instance when I need to pass someone actually going slower than me I'll boost it up to about 70mph to pass. When I replace the original tires I'll probably look into getting ones rated for a higher speed.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I try and stay 2-3 mph under the speed limit
I'm usually 2-3 over.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I use my tachometer more when towing as I like to keep it 1800-2000 rpms, no sense racing up a hill at 3500 rpm when a little slower at 2500 will do the trick. My average speed is approximately 55 with stops avery 3 hours for fuel and walking the dogs.
That said, when some roads cause the harmonic distortion effect. I stay in the fast lane, seems like there, the pavement is smoother, if they want to pass I'll pull over but go back when clear.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
57 to 60 mph has been yielding 17mpg, which with a 36 gallon tank equals a 600 mile range. I'm hoping my Silverado 2500 HD diesel lasts a few more years. Same truck, same speed I used to get 14 to 15 mpg with a truck camper weighing 1000 pounds less. Cheers, Cliff
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMTHKR View Post
57 to 60 mph has been yielding 17mpg, which with a 36 gallon tank equals a 600 mile range. I'm hoping my Silverado 2500 HD diesel lasts a few more years. Same truck, same speed I used to get 14 to 15 mpg with a truck camper weighing 1000 pounds less. Cheers, Cliff
Good example of wind versus weight effect on mpg.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I am usually right about 60-65 on the freeway, and about 55-60 on two lane roads, or in places like CA that put a 55mph speed limit on vehicles with trailers. I use the cruise control as much as possible, but not when there are many hills, or much traffic.

Apparently, unlike some, I slow down when there is a passing lane, hoping as many of the people behind will get by. I am always happiest when no one is behind me.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I generally drive the speed limit, or a bit more if that is what the traffic flow is, up to 120 kph (75 mph). I always keep my tires at maximum pressure, which at least for the Goodyear Marathons I had on the 19, allowed for a max speed of 75 mph.

I like to use cruise control wherever possible, but it traffic is heavy, or the road winding, I don't.

Drivers going slower that the traffic who don't allow people to pass, especially the ones who speed up where conditions allow passing, definitely are frustrating. I love the roads where it is the law that they must use pullouts to let a queue pass.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote