Soon-to-be Escapee - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #21

Re: Soon-to-be Escapee

I would get the dual water heater..without question... The how many days on batteries that's is really subjective.. but my guess is at least 3 absolutely no problem..a small generator is probably a good thing.. we got one and used it.. also there's the added benefit of at home if you have a power outage you can run your firdge or small appliances..

there wasn't the storage box when we initially got ours so we bought a roof-top cargo box for our SUV and it worked out really well.

we got the extra insulation & dual pane widows as well..

hope this helps

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #22

This has given us plenty to think about. I'll summarize where we are at today as far as the options discussed on this thread, and will update where we end up in a few weeks when we finalize our order. I feel that we have already made the most important decision by getting an Escape - the rest is gravy.

By the end of this season, we will have well over 50 days of experience and a much better picture of what we truly need and can go without. Although it would be nice to have everything, it is also good to leave some things on the table. Besides, if we had it all, I wouldn't have any fun dreaming up what to get next!

o Extra insulation / double-pane windows / spray foam insulation - yes
o Dual 6V batteries - yes
o LED interior / exterior lights - yes
o External storage box - yes
Although $700 is a lot for a box. Has anyone added a conventional truck cargo box up front?
Our bike rack upgrade will be used for bikes, so we cannot connect a box to the hitch in back.

o Generator - no
Besides the cost, I would prefer to camp quietly. (The kids make enough noise.)
o Solar panel - no
But may pre-wire for future upgrade. Will also look into portable options.
In a pinch, hooking up my 4Runner to top things off seems a reasonable - and significantly cheaper - fallback option.
o Dual water heater - no
Upgrading would not alter where we go or how we camp. But not upgrading may encourage shorter showers!

o Inverter - maybe
Thanks for the info Jon! I need to think about the tools and electronics more. Hopefully I can source converters for everything.
o Additional brake/running lights - probably not
I like the safety factor, but I hope to do little traveling after dark when these would be most useful.

Up next - customizations!
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Well, you got ALL that right, but do you have a name for it?

"Origami"

baglo

Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

The only comment I'd make on your list is to reconsider the solar if you are going to do the inverter without a generator. Depending on the size & load, an inverter can pull down your batteries in an amazingly short time. The advantage of the solar option is once the sun comes up you have hours of quiet recharging.

If you are going to depend on the tow vehicle to recharge the batteries I suggest at least a #10 (and preferable #8) wiring from the tow vehicle battery to the trailer batteries. If there is too much voltage drop in the run from the tow alternator to the trailer batteries, even if you have an oversized alternator you won't get much in the way of charge current.

Sounds like you are putting together a great trailer! Hope to meet you along the way...
Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #25

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA

David

If you are going to put bikes at the back of the trailer then they could block the trailer tail and brake lights. Escape will add an extra set up high for only $85 which are clearly visible above the bikes when they are attached.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye

If you are going to depend on the tow vehicle to recharge the batteries I suggest at least a #10 (and preferable #8) wiring from the tow vehicle battery to the trailer batteries. If there is too much voltage drop in the run from the tow alternator to the trailer batteries, even if you have an oversized alternator you won't get much in the way of charge current.
I had #10 ground run which added $25 to the installation.

I have a 1000W Honda generator which I bought after a couple years. You have to consider that you need to store it securely when away from camp, carry fuel for it, run it every couple of months to keep it lubricated. But, it doesn't depend on the sun. The Honda runs quiet and only takes an hour or two to top up the batteries ( you could do it faster by connecting the leads directly to the battery instead of plugging the trailer into it - read the manual that comes with the Honda ). All that said, I'm not trying to run an air conditioner.

The portable solar system also needs to be stored securely, so leaving camp for the day while the batteries charge probably isn't a good idea.

I don't know the cost, but I'd probably order the trailer wired for solar which would also help on resale. Not that you would ever sell it. And, then I'd buy a Honda generator.

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that although the fridge and furnace run on propane, they require electricity to work. The furnace requires power for the fan and the fridge also requires a small amount to work.

baglo

baglo
Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #27

Good point about the higher brake lights being useful with the bike rack. Did not think of that.

And I have made a note of going with heavier wiring when I get the electric brakes installed in my 4Runner. Have not been able to get to the towing section yet.

It is a shame that everything needs to be locked up, secured with cables, or bolted down. I always assume that cables and locks only deter opportunistic thieves; if someone is determined to take something, they will get it.

When away from the trailer, do most people secure laptops and other desirable items in their tow vehicle, or just stow things out of sight in their trailers? Or with common sense, is theft not much of an issue? I did not see a security box option
Old 05-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #28

I guess precautions depend where you are camping.

It's only recently, after reading various forums, that I started locking the door at night.

At camp, I generally put the generator in the RAV or inside the trailer if we are going to be away ( or leave it at home if I don't expect to use it ). I probably have the Mac with me ( which doesn't make it any more secure ). The BBQ is likely in view, or maybe tucked on the far side of the picnic table. Chairs, butane stove, propane lamp might be moved to the seat of the picnic table, rather than left on top.

I've not had anything go missing, but I haven't camped in a Detroit Wall Mart lot yet.

I would suggest that, if you are camped next to a group of teens celebrating grad, that you not keep a cooler full of beer under the trailer.

baglo
Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #29

Trailer: No more Escape 21

o External storage box - yes
Although $700 is a lot for a box. Has anyone added a conventional truck cargo box up front?
Our bike rack upgrade will be used for bikes, so we cannot connect a box to the hitch in back.

Yep, had a truck box. But when the Escape box became available, I made the change. Here are 2 pictures of each box taken during the install of the new Escape box. At the same time I had the added lights installed. I post a picture of the lights in a new post (each post has a limit of 2 pictures)
Attached Thumbnails
front.jpg   side.jpg  
Old 05-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #30

And here are the added lights, a very good addition!
Attached Thumbnails
Lights.JPG  
Old 05-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #31

Laura & Rick, it is reassuring to read that you deemed the fiberglass box superior to a standard utility box. Aesthetically, it is a no-brainer. But I was mainly wondering about its sturdiness. Tammy had sent me some pictures of the inside, but it is hard to assess from pictures. I would feel much better if I were able to check out its flex and mounting myself. I just read in wcf's options post that it is LINE-X covered, so durability is now less of a concern. Funny that info was not on the Escape site.

Your brake lights on either side of the rear window look sharp. After taking a closer look at the down-low position of the standard brake lights, I'm sold!

BTW, anyone using a light bar above the rear window similar to Thane's mod? I like the "all-in-one" functionality, plus the dual usage as a rear exterior light at the flip of a switch. Cool mod!
http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=1496.0

David
Old 05-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

David, it looks like you are getting a good plan together. Everyone has their own needs for Escaping. I would recommend that after heavy pondering of the options, and what you believe you may want, take some time away from it to let it all really set in. Then come back an readdress things, as you may come to new realizations. There are a couple options that I thought I would really like, ordered, and have yet to put to use.

If I had portable solar, I would just use a cable with lock to secure it. While we clean up stuff in a campsite, I rarely put anything away under lock and key, like the BBQ, boots, stove, chairs, tables, etc. I just could not be bothered. Nothing has ever been taken either. Our trailer only gets locked when we are leaving it for a long period. Who knows, maybe it might be different camped in a sketchy area, but I really doubt that would appeal to me anyway.

I go by the mindset that you are already a victim of crime if you are perpetually worried about it. I prefer the ease of mind, and to not sweat things too much.

BTW, mine is the Escape 19 with the red lettering and an mean red headed attack wife, if anyone wants to go shopping.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #33

David, since you live in Portland, you should drop a PM to "hippo" and make arrangements to see his Escape. He lives just north of Vancouver, Washington. His 19' Escape has with both the rear lights and the front storage box (and it's box #2, the second box ever made).

The box is very sturdy.

Rick
Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #34

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
I just read in wcf's options post that it is LINE-X covered, so durability is now less of a concern. Funny that info was not on the Escape site.
http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=1496.0

David

One thing to note about the box is because it's Line-X coated it acts as a rock guard for the lower front of the trailer. If you wanted to get the front of the trailer Line-X coated it would probably cost around $500; factoring that in the box then becomes a fairly cheap option.

I think you'll find that most of the options Escape offers are very reasonably priced and when one explores after market options you can't do it any cheaper yourself. The thing is deciding up front without experiencing the trailer can be a daunting proposition. As Jim said, some things you feel you can't live without in the ordering process are rarely used and then again others are lifesavers.

If you talk with Reace he can let you know which options he can install after the build and which can't. ie. Extra insulation has to be installed during the build but you can get an exterior shower or extra storage hatch put on at a later date if you wish. It would mean a trip up to the factory but you'll be more informed after camping in the trailer for a while and there is some great camping up here in BC.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Laura & Rick, the lights are nice but I really like that tire cover. Where did you find that gem?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud
Laura & Rick, the lights are nice but I really like that tire cover. Where did you find that gem?
I knew I should have blocked that part of the picture . Actually, it's the Washington State University logo. My younger son is a WSU grad and takes the Escape to WSU football games. WSU is located in Pullman, Washington, where it gets COLD. With the extra insulation and thermal windows the propane heater keeps the inside nice and warm.

The trailer's name, "The Far Side Express," comes from the comic strip, The Far Side. The author also is a WSU grad. We were going to change the name to "The Far Side Escape," and Tammy even had a new decal made for us during the trailer pickup, but somehow it got lost.

My son would say, "Go Cougs!"
Old 05-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #37

David Welcome. You should consider the following solar system, high tail lights, front box, out door shower.
Chuck
19.6 Escape 2010.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #38

Thanks Chuck.

Solar remains on the bubble for us. Definitely see the benefits, and would like the flexibility. Just wondering how much not having it would limit our camping options and enjoyment of the trailer. We have a few more weeks before we need to decide, and I expect that more time digging into the forum and looking into camp sites here in the Pacific NW will make such choices clearer to us.

How beneficial have you found solar in Washington and Oregon when planning your getaways? Do many of the destinations without power stand head and shoulders above those that do, for whatever reason?

David
Old 05-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #39

As you know, Oregon has great state campgrounds, with power in most cases. If you venture north to BC, you'll find that the Provincial and Forestry campsites are roomy, but lack power, septic and water ( at the individual site ).

I've found after three or four days, I need to run my generator for a couple hours to top up the battery ( sometime during the day, so as not to disturb others - it is very quiet though ).

So, a great deal depends on your concept of camping. As a rule, the more services you have, the smaller the campsites. At Osoyoos, we watched a couple 80-foot motor homes compete for space to open their slides.

I figure I'll just stay home if it comes to that.

baglo