Subaru & Mercedes tow vehicles - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Subaru & Mercedes tow vehicles

We have recently returned from a cross-Canada trip, and I was surprised by the noticeable preponderance, in Quebec and the Maritimes, of Alto and Prolite travels trailers. I think I'm correct in that these are Quebec-manufactured light-weight trailers (?), so that didn't particularly surprise me.
What did surprise me was that the vast majority of them were being towed by either Subarus or Mercedes (unscientifically, I'd say about 50% Subaru, 30% Mercedes, and everything else the remaining 20%). And all models -- Foresters, Crosstreks, Legacies, Outbacks, even Imprezas, and from Mercedes, B, C, and E-Class sedans, wagons, and SUV's.
The conversations I had with the owners of these trailers puts most of them in a weight range similar to or slightly less than my Escape 17B -- but most of these Subarus and Mercedes aren't officially rated to tow these weights?
Old 11-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Can’t speak specifically to what combinations you saw but in general terms I do see that Prolite has 4 models between 590 and 1150 lbs that they advertise can be towed with “compact cars”. Alto’s lightest is 1816 lbs. An Escape 17B is 2400# as advertised. Obviously these are dry weights without options, gear, etc. and the weight adds up quick. I

I’m not qualifying or defending what you saw, but I know the Outback 4 cylinder can tow 2700# and the 3.6R can tow 3000# when properly equipped. The issue is the tongue weight limit which is generally not high enough to match 10% of tow capacity. I think it is only 200#.

The Forester says up to 1500# towing. Crosstreks, Legacy and Impreza don’t have a published tow rating.

I can’t speak to the Mercedes.