Taco vs F150 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
My feeling is, if you can afford the half ton, get the half ton. You may technically be able to get by with a Tacoma, but it will always seem like a compromise. We went the half-ton route for our 21 and never once regretted the decision.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
But, if I were wanting to tow at higher rpm's, I'd make sure the truck was equipped with a transmission cooler.
It is. No reputable manufacturer has built an automatic-transmission vehicle of any towing capacity without a transmission fluid cooler for many years. My 13-year-old minivan has a transmission cooler.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnyberry View Post
Granted many of the trucks that passed us were probably light and able to maintain ther 70 mph. We traveled at mostly 60-65, dropped to 50 on the passes.
Usually people remarking about being passed by trucks going uphill are a lot slower than that. Not many heavy trucks can maintain even 50 mph up a sustained significant grade.

Quote:
Is 4000-4500 rpm an acceptable tach reading for the Tacoma?
I agree that this is well below the redline, so it's fine. Also, that engine doesn't even reach its peak torque until 4600 rpm, so at any lower speed it is still below the speed at which it is expected to be run when lots of power is needed.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 ETI 19
Thanks for all the input. It sounds like I am not damaging the vehicle by the way I am towing the trailer. I may need to go from three to four leaf springs or add an air bag. Trevor at ETI who installed the WDH said my vehicle dropped more than other 2016 Tacomas he has worked on, but that is an issue that can be fairly easily resolved. As with all things trailers the application of a little more money
dinnyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It is. No reputable manufacturer has built an automatic-transmission vehicle of any towing capacity without a transmission fluid cooler for many years. My 13-year-old minivan has a transmission cooler.
Don't know why I typed that. I meant to say an oil cooler, which would come with the truck if it has the towing package. The OP later mentioned it did.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 17A
We just got back from a 5000+ mile trip, towing our little 13 foot 1969 Cardinal (2000# GVW). The tow vehicle was our new 2017 Tacoma. I can confirm the general consensus of this thread: that the Tacoma is a great 4wd vehicle, but not a stellar tug. We averaged 14+ mpg for the entire trip, which included 800 or so miles without the trailer.
At first, I was worried about the 4000 rpm up the freeway hills, but then, the red line is 6000, and the engine doesn't even develop peak torque until well past 4000 rpm.
We have a 17A on order, and I expect about the same performance with it. In spite of the disappointing mileage, the Tacoma is still a great truck. Love the back-up camera!
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Unfortunately (for me) My son lives in California so that is not an option.
Thrifty Car rental up you way shows Ford 150 full size avail for rent perhaps a day rental..

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #28

Quote:
I just got home to Salt Lake after picking up my new 19 in Chilliwack. Managed to find good weather windows for the passes and had a safe trip back. By the way, thanks to all on this forum that helped put together my build sheet!

The issue: I have a 2016 Tacoma sport with the towing package and I was somewhat disappointed with the performance and the gas mileage. The trailer was dry and virtually empty except for some bedding. I was averaging 10-12 mpg on the trip back. The real pain besides the cost is having to stop every two hours for gas. Up the bigger passes I had to use fourth gear and listen to the engine whine and watch the semis pass me on the left. Also, with two people, a topper, WDH and a fully loaded trailer I have about enough payload left over for a couple of packages of paper towels in the back. And I want to travel with my 17ft canoe.

I was wondering what kind of mileage other folks are getting with the F150. I am especially interested in the 3.5L ecoboost option. My son regularly gets 25 MPG on the highway (not towing) which is better than the Taco. If I were going to trade up this would be the time while the Taco still has low miles and good value and I might be able to find a 2017 F150 languishing on some dealers lot.

Thanks for your thoughts
Oh you may want to visit:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...ng-bible.4031/
And:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...you-tow.27460/

You can get real world information and answers from people who actually own a Tacoma and Tow with it like myself. Moreover, answers to any question you have about trans coolers, oiler coolers, towing in your terrain etc.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 ETI 19
Thanks, I will read the threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dinnyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I meant to say an oil cooler, which would come with the truck if it has the towing package. The OP later mentioned it did.
That makes sense. Many people do not know that automatic transmissions routinely come with fluid coolers, perhaps misled by those selling additional coolers, and likely in part due to the fact that those coolers are usually embedded in the radiator (so they're not easily visible).

Yes, Toyota's GR family V6 engines (used in the Tacoma since 2005) typically have an oil-to-coolant engine cooler when equipped for towing. That's not necessarily true of other engines; for instance, my Sienna's 3MZ engine does not get an engine oil cooler with the towing preparation package (although it does get a larger radiator and transmission fluid cooler).

I don't think that the engine speed is important to the need for an engine oil cooler, but the sustained power level is. The cooler is definitely needed for towing of any significant trailer at highway speeds and up grades.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:11 AM   #31

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
I was wondering what kind of mileage other folks are getting with the F150. I am especially interested in the 3.5L ecoboost option.

We have a 2016 3.5L Ecoboost 4WD Supercrew F150 with the Max Tow package and 6.5’ bed, and average 14.5mpg when towing our fully loaded 19. It tows effortlessly in all conditions, and the 36 gallon gas tank is fantastic. Can’t say enough good things about this truck, very glad we got it.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:47 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Chevy Colorado is another option. Mine won't shift into 4wd at the moment.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #33

We have a 2012 F-150 FX4 Super Crew with the 5.5 bed and the 5.0 liter V-8 Coyote. It has towed all it's life, and it's been flawless (knock on wood) throughout it's 84,000+ miles.
Not sure if they still offer it, but the Coyote 5.0 liter is a very strong and beautiful sounding V-8. ( Sorry, a V-6 sounds like a boat motor to me. ) It's a towing machine and a very quiet and nice ride. I went with the V-8 for many reasons, one important one being the simplicity of it, and the SOUND ! I get about 13 towing, 17 not towing average, and about 20 on the highway, when I'm not speeding.

};^)
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:19 PM   #34

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have the 2.7 ford truck with the big gas tank and all the tow stuff . Not sure about mileage seems like around 20 with out the trailer around 14-15 with the trailer. with the big gas tank rarely need to fill !
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote