Taco vs F150 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 ETI 19
Taco vs F150

I just got home to Salt Lake after picking up my new 19 in Chilliwack. Managed to find good weather windows for the passes and had a safe trip back. By the way, thanks to all on this forum that helped put together my build sheet!

The issue: I have a 2016 Tacoma sport with the towing package and I was somewhat disappointed with the performance and the gas mileage. The trailer was dry and virtually empty except for some bedding. I was averaging 10-12 mpg on the trip back. The real pain besides the cost is having to stop every two hours for gas. Up the bigger passes I had to use fourth gear and listen to the engine whine and watch the semis pass me on the left. Also, with two people, a topper, WDH and a fully loaded trailer I have about enough payload left over for a couple of packages of paper towels in the back. And I want to travel with my 17ft canoe.

I was wondering what kind of mileage other folks are getting with the F150. I am especially interested in the 3.5L ecoboost option. My son regularly gets 25 MPG on the highway (not towing) which is better than the Taco. If I were going to trade up this would be the time while the Taco still has low miles and good value and I might be able to find a 2017 F150 languishing on some dealers lot.

Thanks for your thoughts

dinnyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
If your son has an F150 EB , why not borrow it for a drive.

My F50 is a 3.5 EB but it's a 2012, they've changed to a nicer tranny since my 6 spd. I get 12-13.5 towing the 5.0TA. I also only get 15-17 NOT towing.

Your 10-12 mpg sounds about right, with the weight of a 19 you might look at the smaller EB.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 ETI 19
Unfortunately (for me) My son lives in California so that is not an option.
dinnyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 50 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnyberry View Post
I just got home to Salt Lake after picking up my new 19 in Chilliwack. Managed to find good weather windows for the passes and had a safe trip back. By the way, thanks to all on this forum that helped put together my build sheet!

The issue: I have a 2016 Tacoma sport with the towing package and I was somewhat disappointed with the performance and the gas mileage. The trailer was dry and virtually empty except for some bedding. I was averaging 10-12 mpg on the trip back. The real pain besides the cost is having to stop every two hours for gas. Up the bigger passes I had to use fourth gear and listen to the engine whine and watch the semis pass me on the left. Also, with two people, a topper, WDH and a fully loaded trailer I have about enough payload left over for a couple of packages of paper towels in the back. And I want to travel with my 17ft canoe.

I was wondering what kind of mileage other folks are getting with the F150. I am especially interested in the 3.5L ecoboost option. My son regularly gets 25 MPG on the highway (not towing) which is better than the Taco. If I were going to trade up this would be the time while the Taco still has low miles and good value and I might be able to find a 2017 F150 languishing on some dealers lot.

Thanks for your thoughts

Towing my 2017 5.0 TA with my 2016 F150, 2.7 EB. Supercab from CT to Canadian border thru Vermont and New Hampshire I got 15.5-16.5 mpg towing on highway (easily cruising at 60 mph) and still got 14.5 on secondary roads. Most of the trip I had a full fresh water tank as well as our normal stuff. The truck has a 3.55 axle ratio. On a trip to Jersey shore not towing the truck got 21 mpg. The motor rarely exceeds 3000 rpm. The truck and trailer work great together. Hopefully we will get a chance to see how it works thru real mountains in 2018, think it'll do ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Casita 17 ft SD with racing suspension by LHC
For me a Taco is a one of my favorite foods in Mexican cooking and has the uncanny ability to cause flatulence.
A Ford F150 is a great American made vehicle that has excellent towing abilities

Both useful but hardly interchangeable

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi V8 truck and if I was going to tow an Escape 21 ( Which is highly unlikely) , I would trade up to a Ford F150 EB with the towing and payload packages.
I never liked the feeling when towing of " The tail wagging the dog"
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
What have they done to the 2016 and later Tacoma's? On paper they are rated as 278 horsepower and 265 pounds torque. That is 42 more horsepower than the earlier models v6 which is rated at 236 horsepower and 266 foot pounds of torque. Less horsepower and one whole foot pound more of torque. And one more gear in the newer transmission too.
Does the Atkinson cycle motor affect towing that much?

I have not heard much complaining on the Tacoma forums about earlier Tacoma's but noticed they do not really like the newer one for towing.

I have a 2013 but can't really compare as I also have the TRD supercharger. We went that route with a previous trailer to resolve listening to a rv trailer salesman and buying to big of a trailer. It was either that or take it in the shorts trading in an 8 month old pickup. Sad thing is we quickly got rid of the trailer as it was new junk. Rubber roof bubbles, side wall delamination, tires just barely sufficient for an empty trailer ect. I think I should take a ride and pat our Escape
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Just about any modern 1/2 ton truck from Tundra, Titan, Ram,GMC or Chevrolet in addition to Ford can provide a comfortable upgrade. The Tacoma, a great truck maybe a bit undersized. It may surprise you but a larger v-8 in thee trucks do not have to work 1/2 hard as the smaller 6 cyl motors and with proper rear end and transmission economy is available. I avg 15 mpg towing over the past 10,000 miles this year. Not towing is closer to 20 with 5.7/8sp/3:21 rear.
Hecht, my 5.0 Mustang GT is avg 22 mpg over 3K miles and just getting broken in.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
What have they done to the 2016 and later Tacoma's? On paper they are rated as 278 horsepower and 265 pounds torque. That is 42 more horsepower than the earlier models v6 which is rated at 236 horsepower and 266 foot pounds of torque. Less horsepower and one whole foot pound more of torque. And one more gear in the newer transmission too.
Does the Atkinson cycle motor affect towing that much?

I have not heard much complaining on the Tacoma forums about earlier Tacoma's but noticed they do not really like the newer one for towing.

I have a 2013 but can't really compare as I also have the TRD supercharger. We went that route with a previous trailer to resolve listening to a rv trailer salesman and buying to big of a trailer. It was either that or take it in the shorts trading in an 8 month old pickup. Sad thing is we quickly got rid of the trailer as it was new junk. Rubber roof bubbles, side wall delamination, tires just barely sufficient for an empty trailer ect. I think I should take a ride and pat our Escape
I have read on several tacoma forums that the newest generation of Taco's are designed more for the off road crowd then for towing or commuting. It is often hard when reading a forum devoted to a single brand of vehicle to decipher what is fact , opinion , cheerleadering or just plain old BS.
I will admit that most of the Taco's I see in my area are driven by twenty something males with their hats on backwards , attempting to tear up the forest and throw mud everywhere .
Probably not a very accurate picture of all Taco owners !
Old 12-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have read on several tacoma forums that the newest generation of Taco's are designed more for the off road crowd then for towing or commuting. It is often hard when reading a forum devoted to a single brand of vehicle to decipher what is fact , opinion , or just plain old BS.
I will admit that most of the Taco's I see in my area are driven by twenty something males with their hats on backwards , attempting to tear up the forest and throw mud everywhere .
Probably not a very accurate picture of Taco owners !
And here they mostly drive lifted ford and dodge pickups with oversized tires.. 20 somethings with Tacomas are rare.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
And here they mostly drive lifted ford and dodge pickups with oversized tires.. 20 somethings with Tacomas are rare.
I agree , Tacoma's in my area are also extremely rare .
We have an off road mud track a short distance from our cabin and when they hold races in the Summer I see Tacoma's
On the open road , I may see one or two every 6 months.
We live in a rural area ( Farming , Mining , Logging) so most of the trucks are full size and used for work .