Tacoma Double Cab pulling 5.0 or 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #1

Trailer: None yet
Tacoma Double Cab pulling 5.0 or 5.0 TA

Hello friends,

Does anyone have experience towing either a 5.0 or 5.0 TA with a 2016 or new Toyota Tacoma? I see a number of references to the Toyota Tundra - with some comcerns / observations; any advice with the Tacoma? Thank you.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 17A
I have a 2017 Tacoma Access cab. The owner's manual specifically says not recommended for 5th wheel towing.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

Trailer: None yet
Thank you for your quick response. I am checking manual and dealer too.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Just remember, when you talk to a dealer about towing a 5th wheel, they have no clue you're talking about a tiny one (comparatively speaking).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
I've driven my Dads Tacoma with a 17b - wouldn't like towing my 5TA with it, that's just my opinion, everyone has a comfort level.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My owner's manual for my 1/2 ton full size truck does not specifically approve or prohibitive 5th wheel towing.
The only indication in the manual is that under towing they only list 3/4 and 1 ton trucks as suitable for 5th wheel towing and under the 1/2 ton heading there is no mention of 5th wheel towing.
I called the dealer and the factory and got the following & same answers

1 ) Unless the owners manual specifically states that the truck is suitable for 5th wheel towing then it is not.
2) The truck was not engineered , tested or rated for 5th wheel towing , no matter the size , pin weight or total weight of the 5th wheel trailer.
3) Warranty coverage COULD be denied if I operated my vehicle for an unintended purpose.

I am only stating my experience and what I was told specific to my vehicle. Others may choose to ignore their vehicle's guidelines. Anyway what the H_ LL does Toyota know about Toyota trucks ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Tacoma has a composite Box , basically some hi-Teck plastic . Not fifth wheel friendly.
I think there is a spacer kit available. But its a lot of trouble .
Old 10-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
While I do not, there are folks I know who tow ETI 5th wheels with Tacomas. Maybe someone who actually tows that configuration will post here. As Donna says, dealers ( and manufacturers) are not thinking of something like an Escape 5,0 when they talk about 5th wheels.

I am NOT saying that a Tacoma is or is not a good tow for a 5.0, but am advising be careful of the advise of the resident "experts" who don't even own an Escape, nor have ever even towed one.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
While I do not, there are folks I know who tow ETI 5th wheels with Tacomas. Maybe someone who actually tows that configuration will post here. As Donna says, dealers ( and manufacturers) are not thinking of something like an Escape 5,0 when they talk about 5th wheels.

I am NOT saying that a Tacoma is or is not a good tow for a 5.0, but am advising be careful of the advise of some of our resident "experts" who don't even own an Escape.
Yes. People have very different ways of travel in the first place and then they have very different expectations. Can't really go that well by someone else. I would say to meet the numbers first and then see what you like: GVWRs, GCWR, tow capacity, tongue weight for starters. By the time you get all of that straight on some vehicles, you will know what you like.

On towing standards though, I do appreciate that there are now towing standards to be able to compare a vehicle from one company to a vehicle from another. Which I think is far better than companies making up their own numbers. The tests looked pretty good to me. But there are also other considerations.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We once camped next to a nice guy from Florida towing a Scamp 5th wheel with a Tacoma. (Just guessing, I'd say his Tacoma was well past warranty coverage.) He liked the combination. He used the original bolts holding the composite bed to bolt down some lengthwise steel plates, then he bolted the 5th wheel hitch to those plates. He also welded side braces on the vertical sides of the hitch to stabilize it from bending sideways under pressure. Again, it worked well for him and his Scamp.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you already own the truck, what's the payload? Specs on the Taco website look like 1175 max, depending on the model, not including options. Doesn't say if it includes the driver.

Does anyone with the new body style 5.0TA know the pin weight?
Old 10-30-2017, 07:18 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I looked at the new TACO for towing my 19, it had a different motor than what was in my FJ and it uses gearing with the less powerful motor to achieve it's specs. The rear end was like 4:23 and no brake controller and no tow package, it just did not sit well for me for towing.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I looked into it when I had a Tacoma. The composite bed is an issue, any hitch has to be modified to get it mounted to something solid. Also, the load capacity* of the Tacoma was borderline when you add 4 passengers & the tongue weight of the trailer.

* towing weight is fine, load in the bed and seats is very tight.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Hello friends,

Does anyone have experience towing either a 5.0 or 5.0 TA with a 2016 or new Toyota Tacoma? I see a number of references to the Toyota Tundra - with some comcerns / observations; any advice with the Tacoma? Thank you.
I also live in Victoria and wanted to use a Tacoma to pull my newly acquired 5 TA. Both the dealership and the local Cap - It hitch guys said no way. Told me to buy a Tundra. I did.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
I also live in Victoria and wanted to use a Tacoma to pull my newly acquired 5 TA. Both the dealership and the local Cap - It hitch guys said no way. Told me to buy a Tundra. I did.
Smart move, IMHO. I have yet to meet a Tundra owner who doesn't love it and plans to buy another if and when they wear out their current one.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:56 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
ETI gave us an owners name and phone number to go and see a 5.0TA close to our location here in Tennessee.

We did.

The owner purchased his 5.0TA in March 2017 and is towing with a Tacoma.

He has installed the Anderson on rails.... not with the ball coming through the bed.

He is very friendly and happy with his 5.0TA.

His name is Dave Looney CONTACT ME VIA PM FOR PHONE NUMBER.

I have not told him you might be calling..... but if you do say hi from Cindy and Henry.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote