Tailgate Lock - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Tailgate Lock

Started next project of making my non-electric tailgate lock into an electric one so I can lock and unlock tailgate with factory key fob. Kit purchased is the Pop & Lock system PN-PL8140 for Chevy/GMC 2014 & UP Sierra and Silverado, which is same mechanism in the Colorado/Canyon 2015 & up.

So far EZ-Peezy, removed the tailgate cover held down by 8 Torx screws. Removed the factory cam retainer clip, removed the factory cam and replaced with cam and C-Clip that comes with the kit. Next remove 10mm bolt and line up locking assembly with bolt hole and alignment pin and reinstall the bolt.

Next step will be to run wire and splice into system. Wiring will run through existing factory hole at bottom of tailgate and where factory tailgate camera cable runs.

Link to YouTube install video
Attached Thumbnails
Tailgate_Electric_Lock_DSC_1926.jpg   Pop&Lock PL8140.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Having the tailgate easily lock is a great thing with a tonneau cover.

Whatever you do, if at all possible do not have a tailgate release button on the fob. My F-150 has that and a few times it has pocket opened, and the tailgate falls open onto the jack of my cargo trailer. The fourth time it happened, a couple weeks ago, it totally thrashed the latch and bezel around it, but fortunately only made two wee scratches on the metal of the tailgate.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Last I knew, Honda doesn't put any factory lock at all on the Ridgeline's dual-opening tailgate. So anyone who wants to be able to lock their tailgate at all (for securing things under a tanneau cover or within a camper shell) has to purchase/install a third party locking mechanism like the Pop-N-Lock. The handy little compartment under the rear bed locks, but not the tailgate - last I knew.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Having the tailgate easily lock is a great thing with a tonneau cover.

Whatever you do, if at all possible do not have a tailgate release button on the fob. My F-150 has that and a few times it has pocket opened, and the tailgate falls open onto the jack of my cargo trailer. The fourth time it happened, a couple weeks ago, it totally thrashed the latch and bezel around it, but fortunately only made two wee scratches on the metal of the tailgate.
Good advice, thanks Jim.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

Just tested it out and even if I accidentally unlock the tailgate. You still have to manually pull the handle for the tailgate to open.

Co-worker has new Ford F150 and he pushes a button and the tailgate unlocks and opens, which is what Jim Bennett must be referring to.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 25T21RB
Tailgate lock - Ridgeline

Don't bother getting one of these. I bought one, had it installed and it worked....once in a while for the first couple of months. Then it jammed and wouldn't work at all. Went back to the shop, and the answer was that these units aren't well made. The dual opening is the problem with the Ridgeline - makes the mechanism very unreliable. I finally gave up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Last I knew, Honda doesn't put any factory lock at all on the Ridgeline's dual-opening tailgate. So anyone who wants to be able to lock their tailgate at all (for securing things under a tanneau cover or within a camper shell) has to purchase/install a third party locking mechanism like the Pop-N-Lock. The handy little compartment under the rear bed locks, but not the tailgate - last I knew.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My F-150 has that and a few times it has pocket opened, and the tailgate falls open onto the jack of my cargo trailer.
I don't know about F150, but Tundra has a cool feature that drops the tailgate nice and slow, you don't have to worry about dropping the tailgate. Not saying I would buy another Tundra just because of that feature, but if I get F150 and it doesn't have the slow tailgate drop, I will miss it.
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
"My F-150 has that and a few times it has pocket opened, and the tailgate falls open onto the jack of my cargo trailer."

I don't know about F150, but Tundra has a cool feature that drops the tailgate nice and slow, you don't have to worry about dropping the tailgate. Not saying I would buy another Tundra just because of that feature, but if I get F150 and it doesn't have the slow tailgate drop, I will miss it.
It does have the snow tailgate drop. It is having the release on the fob I done care for.

The F-150 fob is the same as Lincoln, and they just used the truck opener for the tailgate. The body shop doing the repair said this is not the first they have seen what happened to me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I had a tailgate lock retrofitted onto my Tacoma's tailgate when I had a bed cover installed. It unlocks with a key but you have to pull the handle in order to lower the tailgate. I would be concerned that with a remote tailgate lock I would accidentally unlock the tailgate and not realize it, leaving it unlocked for someone to come along and pull the handle, like thieves will do with car doors.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote