The Difference Between Using Weight Distribution and Air Bags to Level Your Load - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
Not trying to dipute the overall benefit of WD, but I noticed that they used the same ball mount for both tests. Isn't a ball mount for a WD setup longer than typically used when there's no WD? If so, then their results are probably overstated.
True. Most WD shanks are much longer than a fixed plain ball mount would need to be, and that gives the tongue weight more leverage to transfer load from the tow vehicle's front axle to the rear. The difference can easily be a change in load transfer of several percent.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
WDH do just that - they distribute weight forward. .

In some situations that is a very good thing

To keep enough (proper) weight on the front wheels, for braking and steering.
"Enough": the load transfer off of the front axle in a typical small travel trailer setup is about 5% of the front axle load before adding the trailer. Is there a reason to think that 95% of the original load is not "enough"?

"Proper": I would argue that the proper load on an axle is the load that results from the mass being carried. Forcing the load to be distributed differently means that the traction distribution does not match the mass distribution, which is inherently unstable - that's why vehicle manufacturers, government agencies, and WD system manufacturers all warn against excessive application of WD systems. WD systems certainly have their place, but they are not without their consequences.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"Enough": the load transfer off of the front axle in a typical small travel trailer setup is about 5% of the front axle load before adding the trailer. Is there a reason to think that 95% of the original load is not "enough"?

"Proper": I would argue that the proper load on an axle is the load that results from the mass being carried. Forcing the load to be distributed differently means that the traction distribution does not match the mass distribution, which is inherently unstable - that's why vehicle manufacturers, government agencies, and WD system manufacturers all warn against excessive application of WD systems. WD systems certainly have their place, but they are not without their consequences.
OK to cut to the chase.... in my experience - our tug (Acura MDX) handles, rides and 'feels' MUCH better with a WDH... than without.

and Porpoising is far reduced.

I would not be without one, with that tug.

YMMV.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Our jeep and 19 had to come to a sudden (scary) stop in Yellowstone Park. People were not paying attention to driving, but instead having their focus on bisons. Us too I guess. But luckily we hit the brakes. Ended up 2 inches away from the rear bumper in front of us. Scary!
The jeep and trailer gave no inch! Both still lined up like nothing happened (except the inside of the trailer). I am convinced the WDH and brake control together saved us!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
True. Most WD shanks are much longer than a fixed plain ball mount would need to be, and that gives the tongue weight more leverage to transfer load from the tow vehicle's front axle to the rear. The difference can easily be a change in load transfer of several percent.
If I'm just around town like going to the car wash or the storage cave, I don't bother with the WDH. But hitting the open road, it is on.

The pleasant surprise that I got with the longer WDH shank was it allowed me to drop the pickup tailgate and clear the jack. I have the Anderson WHD and after replacing the cone with only 3000 miles, it has been trouble free. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #26

Trailer: New skool escape 21
Cool Thoer! I was out and about driving my new trailer home so I am glad you decided to post this separately. Then again it doesn't seem to matter as people still seem to think that these guys are somehow misrepresenting their findings.
yxan is offline   Reply With Quote