The Gas-Mileage Thread - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Worst towing mileage so far has been 12.1mpg, average around 14.5. Best ever w/o trailer was 25.1.

For you other OCD types...there's a great little iPhone app called Car Care (KB Enterprises?). Will give you an astonishing array of information, and keep histories, way beyond fuel mileage...avg distance per fill, most/least expensive fuel, your carbon footprint, fuel cost per mile, colored graphs, etc., etc.. You can track multiple vehicles, and even plot your fueling locations.

2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #22

Trailer: '07 17B
There are even more variables, other than your speed when it comes to gas mileage. Are your tires inflated properly? Does your vehicle need a tuneup? Hows the fuel & air filters? What's the load that you're carrying? Lots of hills, or flat roads?
As they say.........your mileage may vary!

GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15B (c)
Jim, wherever did you get the idea that you will have "All the time in the World" when you retire? I speak from experience that there aren't enough hours in the day to accommodate all those things that one will do in one's retirement. The expression "Are we there yet?" becomes "My goodness are we here already?"!! or something to that effect. So actually you will probably drive a bit faster because the yearning for that spiced coke will come earlier in the day. Remember the expression "You're only young once etc" and get it done now. Cheers

"It's quicker to go slow" &
"You're only young once, you're a helluva long time dead"
Dixhiccup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixhiccup View Post
Jim, wherever did you get the idea that you will have "All the time in the World" when you retire? I speak from experience that there aren't enough hours in the day to accommodate all those things that one will do in one's retirement. The expression "Are we there yet?" becomes "My goodness are we here already?"!! or something to that effect. So actually you will probably drive a bit faster because the yearning for that spiced rum and coke will come earlier in the day. Remember the expression "You're only young once etc" and get it done now. Cheers
Edited for accuracy, though it just might be what you meant.

What I mean by time, is that I will be doing multi-month trips, and not multi-day to two week trips only, and won't feel the need to get to a set destination as quick. I do know what you mean, as I am certain my years in retirement will be filled, but more with stuff I prefer to do, rather than have to do. Heck, I will probably still have some work projects on the go too, but will no longer have employees, and could drop the hammer for a month or two whenever I felt like it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15B (c)
Jim I like your expression "drop the hammer". I was an auctioneer for fifty something years and owned an auction company for thirty of those years. So I wish you luck and happiness in your upcoming time off. Cheers

"It's quicker to go slow" &
"You're only young once, you're a helluva long time dead"
Dixhiccup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
It's great to get some idea about mileage here on this thread as we are considering both tug and TT but could I ask that we keep it to one style of measurement, Doug quoted in l/100 km (which I use) then next post was Jim with MPG(US). Of course we started with MPG(IMP) Why not for the sake of our American friends since we Canadians all understand MPG keep it to that measurement for the thread - Miles Per US Gal.?
Yes, one system is great, so go ahead and report only in L/100km. After all, that's the Canadian system for Canadian trailers, and it avoids the "which gallon" problem.

Fuel has not been sold in anything but litres for about 35 years in Canada, and for the same time odometers here have been in kilometres, so everyone here who uses MPG is going through an extra pointless conversion.

Do we all "understand" MPG? Most Canadians who convert everything to MPG convert to miles per imperial gallon, so the US numbers are not comparable with their experience.

Seriously... I would be happy if people would just report what they have, but say what it is (US or imperial if MPG).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I wish the US would get with the times and go completely metric!
And while they are at it get rid of the penny. It costs more than a penny to make one. :

John
Old 08-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
I wish the US would get with the times and go completely metric!
And while they are at it get rid of the penny. It costs more than a penny to make one. :

John
I have been saying the same thing for years now, John. With many of the American friends I have, it seems to be a pride thing to want to be the only developed country not using the metric system.

And yes, the penny. I am SO glad that we got rid of it. Things are way simpler, and my wallet appreciates it too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #29

Trailer: not yet
CalculateMe.com - Convert Miles Per Gallon (US) to Liters Per 100 Kilometers
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Here is my recent fuel mileage towing and not towing in a more politically correct format (Note: 2011 FJ Cruiser towing 2013 Escape 19' in mostly mountainous terrain):

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote