the last 2 decisions for our 21' build sheet - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
We were up in the Dawson City area this summer and the high lift axel did give us peace of mind. We had seen some larger non fibreglass trailers scape at the back getting into areas where we had no problem. If you plan on some off road use I would suggest this is a good option. I looked at it as I only have to hit hard once in the rear to do the damage to the trailer in dollars the highlife option costs.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 escape 19
sway bar

The Hensley hitch eliminates the need for a friction sway bar as it moves the effective hitch point forward to the rear axle of the tow vehicle. The tail can not wag the dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pay the extra money for the better hitch. This is the same trapezoid approach that some Euro cars use to control torque steer on higher power front drive vehicles. Even at $3K cdn this is cheap insurance I have driven 70mph on a three lane mountain thru way climb using the middle lane between two transports with no trailer sway or movement.. Hensley comes with weight equalization bars
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Even at $3K cdn this is cheap insurance I have driven 70mph on a three lane mountain thru way climb using the middle lane between two transports with no trailer sway or movement.. Hensley comes with weight equalization bars

I've done the same, and had the same experience, using my $350 Pro Series weight distribution hitch.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
The smallest Hensley has a 14,000 lb rating; I see them used on heavier rigs like Airstreams and Ollies. Personally I think it's overkill on an Escape/Casita/Scamp size rig. I'm still happy with my Andersen. However, I rarely drive 70 mph anywhere when towing.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The Hensley hitch eliminates the need for a friction sway bar as it moves the effective hitch point forward to the rear axle of the tow vehicle.
Sort of... the companies using Hensley's design claim that the effective pivot point is 52 inches forward of the ball, but the ball is well behind the hitch receiver and the distance from axle to hitch varies between vehicles.

Quote:
The tail can not wag the dog!
While this is intended to mean that the trailer cannot affect the tug with sideways force, that's not true. While having the effective pivot point further forward helps, it doesn't eliminate problems.

The point of not having the trailer push the tug side-to-side is that lateral movement of the vehicle can initiate sway, but that can still happen. Also, an unstable trailer will sway even with a perfectly stable tow vehicle. For example, a poorly loaded trailer with a fifth-wheel (or ball hitch) over the axle can sway, and this can be seen on highways with heavy trucks.

Quote:
This is the same trapezoid approach that some Euro cars use to control torque steer on higher power front drive vehicles.
True, BMW likes to use two separately pivoted links instead of a conventional lower control A-arm, using the same four-bar linkage approach as the Hensley hitch to move the effective pivot point of the suspension outboard.

Quote:
... I have driven 70mph on a three lane mountain thru way climb using the middle lane between two transports with no trailer sway or movement.
I've done that with a trailer on a plain ball hitch (no add-ons) towed by a minivan. A stable trailer doesn't need special hitch geometry.

Quote:
Hensley comes with weight equalization bars
It has to, because the design moves the effective hinge point for pitch motion far back, making the adverse effect of tongue weight on the tow vehicle substantially worse.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #26

Equalizer Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Hi - we'd love some help with these last 2 decisions:

1. Do we need the sway bar control? We will be towing with a new F150 that is rated to tow 12,000 lbs. The dealers says we don't need it. What do you think?

2. Do we need the highlift axel? We are planning on taking the trailer north - hopefully all the way to Inuvik. Significantly rough roads. Does anyone else have this? Has it been useful?

Any input from the vast pool of experience in the Forum is appreciated!

Deirdre & Robin Love on Vancouver Island
Hello Neighbors
I lived in the Yukon for twenty three years, last round.
You question, with reference to sway bars, or equalizer hitch.
I would say by all means purchase them.
While they do stop sway, you will also find they can help with removing some weight off the back axle of your truck. They help balance the weight between the front tires and back, keeping your truck more level.
It is better to have them than wish you had them, for what they cost.
If you are ever in Campbell River I could demonstrate.

We have a an Escape 19, and have been to Dawson a few times, stayed in Google Villegas park, the Gold Nugget is also not to bad.

While the road is in fair condition, watch for pot holes after Stewart Crossing.
(Make sure you have enough fuel to get past Stewart Crossing) actually a couple of Jerry cans will get you back to Whitehorse.
The legal limit, in the back of a truck in the Yukon,
six Jerry Cans. I have also never seen anyone stopped for having more.
We had a forty eight gallon tank for spare gas in our truck when we lived in Whitehorse.
I would still have it if we could take it on the ferry.

Doug Lorenzen
Campbell River
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #27

Googieville trailer park
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high lift axel, sway bar