Theft security with an Anderson hitch? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Theft security with an Anderson hitch?

Hi, we are getting a Anderson hitch installed for our 5.0 TA we are picking up in February. I'm wondering what sort of anti-theft device could I use on this set up? There is a pin adapter that comes with the hitch that adapts the regular fifth wheel pin to the Anderson ball style. It seems someone could just unscrew this adapter if they were to want to steal it using their fifth wheel hitch. I wonder if there is it some sort of mechanism people have used to prevent this? There is also the wheel lock solution. We do have a couple of chock locks, but I've always thought these were easily defeatable as they have a nice pry point that I think any long crowbar would be able to do the job to defeat it in a very short amount of time. What are some solutions you all have used for security? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
This is what we have:

https://ftknoxlocks.com/shop?olsFocu...onnection-lock
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:41 AM   #3

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Theft security with an Anderson hitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post

I have one of these too. It weighs a ton and takes both hands to install. Rather than the puck locks Ft. Knox sells, I paired it with an Abloy high security lock.

http://www.lsidepot.com/Padlocks/Abl...TELY-p217.html

This has Abloy's lower security Sentry cylinder, but I think the likelihood of anyone picking the lock is remote. Physically, the Sentry cylinder is just as strong as Abloy's newer cylinders.

I like this because I can get additional high security padlocks keyed the same as the puck lock. If you could see the Abloy key, you'd see it's something special compared with those we see everyday.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I have one of these too. It weighs a ton and takes both hands to install. Rather than the puck locks Ft. Knox sells, I paired it with an Abloy high security lock.

Abloy Sentry PUCK Padlock offers High Security Protection

This has Abloy's lower security Sentry cylinder, but I think the likelihood of anyone picking the lock is remote. Physically, the Sentry cylinder is just as strong as Abloy's newer cylinders.

I like this because I can get additional high security padlocks keyed the same as the puck lock. If you could see the Abloy key, you'd see it's something special compared with those we see everyday.
I already have the Fort Knox, kinda like this lock
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
A potential thief would need to have the right tools, being a long shanked 1/4" hex head socket and a 15/16" wrench. If you have the right tools, it is only a few minutes to take off. For now, I am going with the theory that they are at least missing the hex wrench, and the fact that I have really good insurance.

That Fort Knox thing definitely looks quite solid, that's for sure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A potential thief would need to have the right tools, being a long shanked 1/4" hex head socket and a 15/16" wrench. If you have the right tools, it is only a few minutes to take off. For now, I am going with the theory that they are at least missing the hex wrench, and the fact that I have really good insurance. That Fort Knox thing definitely looks quite solid, that's for sure.
With the lock in place you can not reach either the set screws or cross bolts. Even the puck lock itself is recessed. Now if you have a cut off saw or you are a pretty good lock smith your in. Of course that would hold true for just about every anti theft device out there
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Wow now that is a lock. That is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, thanks
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
Wow now that is a lock. That is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, thanks

You’re welcome![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote