Tire inflation - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A
Tire inflation

Do you fill the air in your tires to the psi number stated? My Frontier came with the tires inflated to 30psi, when the psi on the tires was 50psi. I inflated them all up to 50psi, which raised the truck up by about an inch, and made for a bouncier ride. I now have them at 45psi to see what that does.

What do you all do?

Thanks, Kim

kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I always keep my truck and trailer at max which is 40 truck and 50 trailer.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
There's a sticker inside the door of my F150 that tells me what to put them at.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I no longer have tires that came with the car. Whatever tires you have, the psi should be on the door jamb and that is all you need. My tires have a much higher number on the sidewall than the psi on the doorjamb so that I could add some "extra" if I wanted, but no real reason to do so.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinna View Post
Do you fill the air in your tires to the psi number stated?
Yes, I use the air pressure stated by the vehicle's manufacturer in the manual and on the placard on the vehicle.

The 2017 Nissan Frontier owner's manual explains the placard (label) - starting on page 8-31 - and lists the correct pressure (on page 8-33). Although there are various sizes of tire offered with the Frontier (which can often mean different inflation pressures), the manual lists 35 PSI for all sizes, both front and rear.

Quote:
My Frontier came with the tires inflated to 30psi, when the psi on the tires was 50psi. I inflated them all up to 50psi, which raised the truck up by about an inch, and made for a bouncier ride. I now have them at 45psi to see what that does.
Why did you do this? The pressure marked on the tire sidewall is clearly shown as a maximum inflation pressure. At 50 PSI your tires are probably Load Range C light truck tires, or possibly Extra Load (XL) P-metric or euro-metric tires. It is far too high for that tire on that vehicle, which is why using that excessive pressure causes all of the problems you have seen... and more. The tires will also wear more in the centre, and have less traction.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I no longer have tires that came with the car. Whatever tires you have, the psi should be on the door jamb and that is all you need. My tires have a much higher number on the sidewall than the psi on the doorjamb so that I could add some "extra" if I wanted, but no real reason to do so.
Replaced tires on the Subie and so far because of gas mileage big drop ,have added 8 lbs to front and 6 to rear . New tires say 40 lb . Door sticker says 32 and 30 . Still under cold pressure of new tires but gas mileage has picked up and so far rides nice . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
We run with tire pressure on the tow at maximum, because we are fairly near max. on tow vehicle weight, and we want maximum gas mileage and traction. We run the Escape at 44 psi based on the trailer weight. If it were higher, we'd get uneven wear in the tread center, and more bouncing.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 50 TA
Quote:
Do you fill the air in your tires to the psi number stated? My Frontier came with the tires inflated to 30psi, when the psi on the tires was 50psi. I inflated them all up to 50psi, which raised the truck up by about an inch, and made for a bouncier ride. I now have them at 45psi to see what that does.

What do you all do?

Thanks, Kim
Over inflated tires wear badly, provide less traction, this includes braking, and ride harsh. The manufacturer gives pressure rating for highest load possible. If you need 50 psi on a Frontier I guarantee you are exceeding your GVW by a lot. You may see better mileage but at the expense of all of the above.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
I always fill my tires based on what the tire manufacturer recommends. The vehicle manufacturer doesn't know who made the tires or what that tire manufacturer requirements might be.

It's my opinion that the sticker on the door frame is there to help you determine what tire size should be applied to the vehicle in the stock configuration and provides the GVWR as well as the GAWR for each axle based on the rim sizes and tire sizes included at the time of sale. This sticker doesn't take into account the opportunity for someone to change the rims or tire size after the initial sale.

I believe that the tire manufacturer is better qualified to determine what pressures should be used in their tires. Visit any tire shop and they'll be willing to tell you about under-inflation generating heat that may cause ply separation or a blow out, cupping or excessive shoulder wear.

Off roaders will tell you that they reduce the pressure in their tires to improve traction in specific circumstances that may include loose sand, snow or mud. However, these same people will carry a compressor to re-inflate before returning to the road.

Of course, with all that said, it's your vehicle, and, YMMV
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
I always fill my tires based on what the tire manufacturer recommends. The vehicle manufacturer doesn't know who made the tires or what that tire manufacturer requirements might be.
I'm of the same thought. I think the tire manufacturer knows more about their product than the manufacturer of the motor vehicle.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote