Tire pressure monitoring systems - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2015, 12:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Alf in the fall could it just be falling tire pressures with the temps getting lower? That has happened to me before, when I've been negligent about getting out the gauge with season changes.

Side note: Whenever I get either my Tacoma or Corolla back from having the Toyota dealer do any service, my tires are always overinflated to 35 psi. Finally talked to the service manager and he said they started doing that since they were getting so many calls on the lights coming on for low pressure. So they pump the tires to the recommended 30, reset the system pressures to that, then pump them up to 35 psi. Lights don't detect overinflation and too many people now never bother with checking their tires with an actual gauge. Now I know to check mine every time I get it back home.
Hi: thoer... I have been accused of being over inflated at times. I used to deal with a tire shop who insisted on inflating to the sidewall max pressure and the car rode like a lumber wagon. I now use the mfg. door sticker rate. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: thoer... I have been accused of being over inflated at times. I used to deal with a tire shop who insisted on inflating to the sidewall max pressure and the car rode like a lumber wagon. I now use the mfg. door sticker rate. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
He was just trying to help you get good MPG. Or maybe he just got to sell more tires when the overinflation worn them out quicker.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
My Experience w/PressurePro TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
After having my first flat tire while towing this year, I am contemplating acquiring a tire pressure monitoring system for BlackJack. Other than tire replacement there was no damage to the trailer, but if I had not stopped when I did, I would have lost the wheel real soon as the lugs were only hand tight due to running while flat.
So I'm doing some research and wanted some feedback from forum members.....

I have been using PressurePro (PressurePro - Tire Pressure Monitoring System HOME) since around 2006 in my SRW Silverado 2500HD truck camper and now our 5.0TA. Wouldn't leave home without it. Had my TPMS hooked up on our 5.0TA the day we left Chilliwack.

My epiphany moment which caused me to add the PressurePro TPMS to our SRW truck camper came on a trip to Sequoia NP. I was very lucky to catch the sudden release of the air from my right rear tire as it happened as I was slowly rounding a 90 degree turn in 95 degree weather in the San Joaquin Valley before climbing into the mountains. Had been aware of the existence of aftermarket TPMS, but had probably put off purchasing because of the cost of around $400 for four wheel applications at the time. (OEM TPMS did not come into existence until somewhere around 2008.) Like the other posters in this thread my experience with OEM vehicle TPMS has generally been unfavorable, but in fairness to manufacturers, is a decent compromise considering the ability of the average motorist on the road, IMHO.

In 2006, after researching on the Escapee and RV.net forums, I found the PressurePro seemed to be the consensus choice of full time RVers. The performance of my PressurePro since 2006 has been flawless in about 40,000 miles on the truck camper and the 1500-mile drive home from Chilliwack in the 5.0TA. During our truck camper travels the PressurePro caught one false reading while driving from the valve stem which needed adjusting, and several slow leakers on some heavy duty valve stems I was using at one time, allowing me to deal with the problems calmly and rationally while in camp or at home instead of on the road. In 2013, while getting ready for our second trip to Alaska, I proactively had the batteries replaced in each valve stem sensor for the first time by PressurePro at about $25 or $30 each, and also bought four new sensors at $50 each in anticipation of a fifth wheel sometime down the road. (Even my 2006 system has the ability to monitor at least 14 tires.)

Because my 2006 TPMS aftermarket PressurePro has worked without fail, I have not followed closely the changes to PressurePro Systems or the additional brands that have come on the market. I find two distinct advantages of an aftermarket TPMS system. First, the chance of having to deal with a catastrophic blowout and damage to the rig or worse is minimized, and the probability of catching a tire as it is going flat is increased, thus increasing the chances of saving the tire. Second, while RVing I am able to regularly monitor all my tire pressures, both in the morning when it is recommended, and also while driving with eight clicks of one button. I especially like to compare pressures on the same axle, allowing me to hopefully catch a potential problem quickly.

Merry Christmas to all, and a special thanks to cpaharley2008, Donna D., and gbaglo for all their efforts to run such a good forum.

Cliff
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Cliff, are you towing the 5.0 TA with your Silverado 2500 HD? The reason for my asking is I'm thinking up upgrading, but have concerns about the difference in bed height and clearances, etc...

Thanks,
Mike
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Interesting one from Steelmate. I like the idea of the sensors being interior rather than the ones screwed onto the valve stem.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
TPMS has been around for a long time (see history), but I agree that this sort of system has only become common as run-flat tires have become common. The simple system based on wheel speeds (rather than actual pressure measurement) is trivial to provide in any vehicle with ABS (which requires wheel speed sensors), so it has been very common since at least before our 2004 Toyota... but since trailers rarely have ABS they don't get this feature.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Cliff, are you towing the 5.0 TA with your Silverado 2500 HD? The reason for my asking is I'm thinking up upgrading, but have concerns about the difference in bed height and clearances, etc...

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, yes I am towing with my 2003 Silverado 2500HD Duramax (diesel)/ZF-6 longbed. 60,000 mostly easy highway miles. I hope I have already fixed most of GMs mistakes. Plus, the mileage is better than my truck camper. When the time comes, however, I will downsize to a smaller truck as my truck probably doesn't make the best fit for my 5.0 TA IMHO.

I emailed back and forth with ETI re hitches, bed heights, etc. before choosing and installing a hitch for my truck. PM or email me thru the forum link if you are interested in the particulars of my experience, and then I will email you back. Cliff
Old 12-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Interesting one from Steelmate. I like the idea of the sensors being interior rather than the ones screwed onto the valve stem.
I like the idea of being able to change my own batteries or replace the sensor myself............

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I like the idea of being able to change my own batteries or replace the sensor myself............

Good point Charlie. I think the batteries are supposed to last longer than the recommended trailer tire lifespan.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
hi jim,

we have been using a tpms for about a year now and i like the extra peace of mind driving down the road. This system also monitors tire temperature as well

this is the unit we went with:

Amazon.com: TireTech On Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System w/ Brass Transmitters 0-232 psi (8): Automotive
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:15 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks for the feedback...and the links.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #32

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
This one is worth checking out too.

TireMinder A1A Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with 4 Transmitters for RVs, MotorHomes, 5th Wheels, Motor Coaches and Trailers (TM-A1A-4)
Old 12-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #33

With the sensors mounted externally on the end of the stem, don't they need to be removed each time you need to adjust the air pressure on the tires ?

Old 12-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #34

Quote:
With the sensors mounted externally on the end of the stem, don't they need to be removed each time you need to adjust the air pressure on the tires ?
Thoer, that is true. My truck has metal valve stems. I can twist a sensor off and on about as quickly and easily as I can a dust cap with one hand. On the trailer, I usually use two hands, or some pliers to keep the rubber stem from rotating as the TPMS manufacturer recommends. Cliff
Old 12-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #35

Thanks Cliff. Some show the installation using a special wrench so I was wondering if it was a hassle to take them on and off.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #36

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Thoer, I was thinking the same thing. So far I've only googled up one that lets you add air without removing it.
http://www.tiresafeguard.com/pdf/TSG-TPMS-RV-Mon-H.pdf
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #37

Jim, I keep thinking that the internal ones, even though I would have to take them in for install and changing batteries would be something to consider. The sensors would be safer in there and hopefully batteries would last longer than trailer tires, but who knows if they really will?

Old 12-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
When I ordered from TST they told me I could order ones that let you fill through them, however you had to send them in every three years I think for battery replacement. Seemed like it was more for commercial applications.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Thanks Cliff. Some show the installation using a special wrench so I was wondering if it was a hassle to take them on and off.
Thoer, it has been a long time since I initially set up my system and the memory is old. My Pressure Pro system has optional locks one can mount with each sensor which requires the use of a special small wrench. I ordered them, but took one look at what is involved in putting a sensor on or taking it off using a lock and felt it wasn't worth the trouble. Never used them. That may be what you are seeing in videos. A complete new sensor (w/battery) costs $50. I have never lost one. 99% plus of the public probably has no idea what they are. I have only observed them on a few rigs in my travels. When I return home from a trip, I usually take the sensors off and remove the monitor from the truck cab mostly to extend the life of the batteries in the sensors, but also because I don't feel I need the monitoring when I am driving the truck around town unloaded. From memory I believe the manufacturer states batteries should last at least three years or more with good care. I got 5 or 6 years plus on my first set of batteries before I sent them to the manufacturer for battery replacement at about $25 or $30 each. The sensors were still working at this point but I could tell the batteries were getting weaker. Also, I was preparing for a long trip. Yes, the manufacturer needs to replace the batteries, but he also replaces seals, etc. When they came back they appeared they could have been new. Hope this helps. Cliff
Old 12-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #40

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
You can go either way. I have heard the ones you have to remove are prone to needing new O rings. It might be something to add to your ever growing spares pile.