Tire pressure monitoring systems - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2018, 12:15 AM   #101
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
We bought this system from Amazon and we are very happy with it, and the price was right! https://www.amazon.com/CACAGOO-Monit.../dp/B074WKVG6J
external or internal sensor model? the range is adequate from trailer to cab of the tow vehicle? my trailer is an escape 21, and my tug is a toyota tacoma pickup thats 16' long overall. its probably close to 30' from the tacoma dashboard to the Escape's rear wheel.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:43 AM   #102

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
We bought this system from Amazon and we are very happy with it, and the price was right! https://www.amazon.com/CACAGOO-Monit.../dp/B074WKVG6J
That is good to know. I am afraid of buying one and they won’t work because they are to far away from each other being that they are on a trailer.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:36 AM   #103

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
external or internal sensor model? the range is adequate from trailer to cab of the tow vehicle? my trailer is an escape 21, and my tug is a toyota tacoma pickup thats 16' long overall. its probably close to 30' from the tacoma dashboard to the Escape's rear wheel.
You can buy them with either sensor, but I ordered the external ones. We have a 5.0 TA so the wheels are very close to the cab.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #104
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I like this price! But see this in information on the page:
This product equipped with 4 sensors is only suitable for 4-wheel compact cars, and not apply to cars which have more than 4 wheels. It is not suitable for motorhome, caravan or trailers.

I wonder why this is not suitable for a travel trailer (caravan)?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I like this price! But see this in information on the page:
This product equipped with 4 sensors is only suitable for 4-wheel compact cars, and not apply to cars which have more than 4 wheels. It is not suitable for motorhome, caravan or trailers.

I wonder why this is not suitable for a travel trailer (caravan)?
Good question. I went thru a bunch of reviews, and people ARE using them on RV's/trailers with success. I think there is some concern with the sensor's transmit range, especially on longer trailers, but the comments so far are positive with RV/camper use. Heck, buy it on Amazon and send them back if it doens't work. Good price.
Everyone does say the instructions are cryptic, written by non-English speakers it seems.

Here's an example conversation with the seller:

" Question: Will these work on a tandem axle travel trailer ?

Answer: No,This product equipped with 4 sensors is only
suitable for 4-wheel compact cars, and not apply to cars which have more than 4 wheels.
By Aoputek SELLER on October 17, 2017
"

Kind of confusing...uh...
Old 02-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #106
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
Good question. I went thru a bunch of reviews, and people ARE using them on RV's/trailers with success. I think there is some concern with the sensor's transmit range, especially on longer trailers, but the comments so far are positive with RV/camper use.
That makes sense Tim, thanks. And since Robert is using these successfully on a 1st Gen 5.0TA... and that's what I've got, I'll put these in my cart on Amazon. I really want some way to monitor the tires on the big ole trip planned for Aug/Sept.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:46 PM   #107
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
ok, i measured my 21 and tacoma, looks liek from the hitch to the trailer back wheel is about 16' and from the hitch to the cigar lighter on the dash of the tacoma is about 12' so thats 28' +/-
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #108

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That makes sense Tim, thanks. And since Robert is using these successfully on a 1st Gen 5.0TA... and that's what I've got, I'll put these in my cart on Amazon. I really want some way to monitor the tires on the big ole trip planned for Aug/Sept.
Donna, we have used them for just 1 trip, but so far so good. The temp indicator seems accurate as the tire temp on the sun side was a few degrees warmer and I double checked the accuracy of the tire pressure with a gauge that I trust and was not more than 1 degree off. Tue directions are not all that friendly, but with a few minutes of fumbling around with it, we figured it out. I believe it is a very good option for us 5.0 users as our tires are the closest to the cab. I will give another update once we have a few more trips.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #109
Site Team

Quote:
I believe it is a very good option for us 5.0 users as our tires are the closest to the cab. I will give another update once we have a few more trips.
Excellent! I'll wait patiently for an update
Old 02-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #110

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I bought the Dill aftermarket system from Tire Rack. It uses OEM style sensors in the wheel.and includes a remote antenna. I will be installing it in the next few days. So far I am very impressed with the quality. I like not having sensors on the external of valve stems. Downside is eventually sensors will have to be replaced.

https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/detail...market+Systems
On the Dill system, does the monitor have a battery or does it have to be connected to 12v to operate? If it has a battery, how long should a fully charged battery operate? I would like a system that I could locate the monitor in the back of the truck and rely on the audible warning if I have an issue as I don't need any more clutter on the dash.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #111

Trailer: 2015 E19'
I've been looking around at various TMPS's, and was strongly thinking of a Tire Minder TM55. Turns out that the Tire Minder guys have recently come out with a new product - the Tire Minder TPMS Trailer Solar. It includes the signal booster, is designed specifically for trailers <= 25' long, and is solar powered with a USB charging option. Comes in both 2- and 4-sensor versions. It's been for sale at Camping World and Tweety's RV for a while, is on the Tire Minder web site, and as of last Monday was available on Amazon. The price isn't as good as some of the "plug me into your cigarette lighter" products, but being able to mount it on top of the dashboard and not have to run +12 volt wiring to it would be a real plus; I already have too many tap-a-fuse's sticking out of my hard-to-access-way-up-under-the-dashboard fuse panel. The Tire Minder web site has more information and a video.

TireMinder® Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), 4 Tire Kit - TireMinder TPMS-TRL-4 - Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems - Camping World

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

TireMinder Trailer TPMS - Solar Powered TPMS for Trailers - Minder Research

One nice thing about it is that it would be quick and easy to transfer the 4 sensors to the tow vehicle when we drop off the trailer and head off-road, giving us TPMS on our aired-down AT tires. Just screw the sensors in the same wheel positions and it sorts everything out for you. Apparently some TPMS's are a real pain to synch the sensors to the receiver/monitor unit.

it's apparently so new that there are no reviews out there yet, so I'm planning to wait and see what people are saying and then will hopefully grab one.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #112

Sure looks a lot like this one if you look at the second Amazon picture available. $67 Canadian all in. If you go to “item description” then “view all” there is more info. Kind like how it can stick to the window. This one gives you the option of in or out sensors when ordering.
Junsun TM101 Car TPMS Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Solar Power HD Color Dispaly Wireless Auto Security Alarm Systems-in Tire Pressure Alarm from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Old 02-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #113

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
On the Dill system, does the monitor have a battery or does it have to be connected to 12v to operate? If it has a battery, how long should a fully charged battery operate? I would like a system that I could locate the monitor in the back of the truck and rely on the audible warning if I have an issue as I don't need any more clutter on the dash.
The Dill must be plugged in the cigarette lighter or hard wired. It also has a remote antenna. It might be fine without the antenna but I wanted the link to be robust, so I installed it. My stinger has a stinger. Works quite well but does clutter the dash somewhat. Best part is OEM STYLE sensors.
Attached Thumbnails
20180221_170715.jpg   20180221_170441.jpg   20180221_170640.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #114

It sure does...

But apparently the display toggles between pressures and temperatures: Pressure for 30 secs and then temperature for 10 secs. That might be somewhat distracting, and in any case would confuse the spousal co-driver. And no mention of the signal booster or using with a trailer.

The price sure looks good, but given Tire Minder's good reputation I'd be inclined to buy their product and have some promise that it would work ok with a trailer. I've read enough TPMS reviews bemoaning marginal performance due to limited range, and I have too many times signed up for headaches by trying to save a few bucks.

And let's Buy American! At least Tire Minder corporate is located in Florida; the product itself is likely from China I suppose...
Old 02-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #115

And good on you for buying American. I am so glad the Escape is made in Canada and who really knows where the innards are made.
Unfortunately for us in Canada...if that tire monitor is available...we would be paying most likely over $200.
I hope that someone in the US bought one, tested it, and found that it works from a trailer then got a bunch made with their name on it...without modification.
Please let us know how yours works if you get one.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #116
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Same thoughts here; I ran 12V & ground wires under the door sill plates to behind my rear seats in my tacoma, then mounted an aftermarket dual 12V lighter socket. One powers my TPMS monitor, the other powers the wireless camera receiver (ran the video under the sill plate to the front.) Both units have been mounted on my rear glass with VHB tape for 4 years - have never had problems with the wireless link as there is no metal between the transmitters and receivers.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Please let us know how yours works if you get one.
I just have to wait and hopefully see a handful of positive reviews and then get it cleared through the domestic purchasing manager and I'll be ordering one. Will post an assessment if and when it happens. No real hurry since won't be towing much till the weather improves, and who knows, the price may go down in the interim.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #118

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have the Fobo system. It uses sensors that screw onto the valve stems and transmit a Bluetooth signal to a small receiver and/or a tablet or cellphone. I don't use the receiver; instead I have a tablet mounted on a floor mount in the truck's cab. The Fobo app displays the tire pressures and a low-pressure alarm can be set. I have it set at 40 psi to indicate a blowout.

The Fobo system works fairly well-- the signal is a bit weak from the trailer's tires to the tablet; sometimes you have to make a turn or two for it to update, so it can send the signal line-of-sight instead of going through the trailer. I can live with that, but I wish there were a Bluetooth repeater I could mount in the front of the trailer. The system would probably work better on a setup with less distance from the trailer wheels to the cab.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #119

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
With the stem mounted sensors, do your wheels require rebalancing?
Old 02-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #120

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
With the stem mounted sensors, do your wheels require rebalancing?
Short answer with Our TST 507 system , no . We have non flow through sensors . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote