Tire pressure monitoring systems - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #121

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
With the stem mounted sensors, do your wheels require rebalancing?
From what I've been seeing on the web, people generally are saying that the sensors are light enough to not require rebalancing. In fact, the sensors used with the Tire Minder TPMS Trailer Solar appear to be the lightest ones out there - only .3 oz each - which is another good thing about them, beyond the solar powered receiver / monitor, designed to trailer use, etc. Geez - I'm sounding like a salesman aren't I? I'm still waiting / hoping to see some favorable reviews on the product before ordering.

One concern that some people have raised is the added stress that the sensors put on the valve stems - rubber ones in particular - so the lighter the better in that regard.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #122

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Short answer with Our TST 507 system , no . We have non flow through sensors . Pat
My information from personally speaking with owner of the company . And if not flow through ,sensors are shorter .Sensors that are flow through are taller , ,no problem with rubber stems with non flow through .Sensors are very light weight . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:33 PM   #123

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Thanks for the replies. The online information on the TST sensors: the standard cap weighs .55 oz and the flow-through weighs .77 oz.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Thanks for the replies. The online information on the TST sensors: the standard cap weighs .55 oz and the flow-through weighs .77 oz.
I guess I should add I was told ,the flow through sensors ,because they are taller would need metal stems . The rubber stems were fine with the non flow sensors . Pat
Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #125

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
I guess I should add I was told ,the flow through sensors ,because they are taller would need metal stems . The rubber stems were fine with the non flow sensors . Pat
Thanks. That's the same information that's in their owner's manual.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #126

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
... the sensors used with the Tire Minder TPMS Trailer Solar appear to be the lightest ones out there - only .3 oz each ...
Is that .3 oz with the battery installed? Their web site wasn't clear about that, from what I read. I'd prefer the valve stem cap style simply because I could move the set of four caps back and forth between our two axle travel trailer and our two axle utility trailer without needing to re-balancing the tires with or without the caps, and even use just two caps on our single axle EggCamper when we take it out for a weekend.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:50 AM   #127

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Is that .3 oz with the battery installed? Their web site wasn't clear about that, from what I read.
Looking at a 2-pack of CR1632 batteries on Amazon, it's apparently .2 oz including packaging so that would be something less than .1 oz per battery. I think I would just put my slightly-heavier-than-normal-locking-lug-nut opposite the valve stem and sensor and figure they can sort of counterbalance each other out. Just as a reference, the really small size stick-on lead wheel balancing weights are .25 oz, so a couple of those would outweigh the sensor with battery.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #128

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
Just as a reference, the really small size stick-on lead wheel balancing weights are .25 oz, so a couple of those would outweigh the sensor with battery.
Another way to look at that would be that the sensor with battery imbalances the tire by enough to need one or two of these smallest balancing weights for correction.

Is this important? I guess that's an individual judgement. Some people don't balance their trailer tires at all.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Another way to look at that would be that the sensor with battery imbalances the tire by enough to need one or two of these smallest balancing weights for correction.

Is this important? I guess that's an individual judgement. Some people don't balance their trailer tires at all.
Brian when Costco installed our new Maxxis tires wheels were balanced .reinslalled our sensors , have been on a few long trips since . There is no noticeably difference in wheels . Except , same time of year , hot , wheels ran cooler . Pat
Old 02-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #130

Quote:
Brian when Costco installed our new Maxxis tires wheels were balanced .reinslalled our sensors , have been on a few long trips since . There is no noticeably difference in wheels .
People don't really notice trailer tire imbalance, because they are riding in the tow vehicle. This is why some people don't both balancing trailer tires at all, tolerate poor trailer suspension (too stiff, no shock absorbers, etc), and generally have low standards for the trailer as a vehicle. What's good enough? That's the individual choice.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #131

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Sensor to display distance

Someone asked about distance between the sensor and display. We have an Escape 21 pulled by a Tundra. We use the TST 507 with non-flow through sensors. We find that we loose the signal for one of the sensors after an average of driving 3 hours. We then restart the system because there is an annoying beep each time the non-working sensor is accessed. I track which sensor we loose, thinking it may be a low battery, but so far it appears to be random. My conclusion is that we are at about the maximum distance these sensors work.

I looked into TST a sensor booster, but they need to be wired into a 12 volt source.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Someone asked about distance between the sensor and display. We have an Escape 21 pulled by a Tundra. We use the TST 507 with non-flow through sensors. We find that we loose the signal for one of the sensors after an average of driving 3 hours. We then restart the system because there is an annoying beep each time the non-working sensor is accessed. I track which sensor we loose, thinking it may be a low battery, but so far it appears to be random. My conclusion is that we are at about the maximum distance these sensors work.

I looked into TST a sensor booster, but they need to be wired into a 12 volt source.
Richard never have lost our signal . Was told the atomic clocks can cause you trouble with your signal . We had one and just removed it when we bought the system . I did buy the booster extender but find we don't need it . I pulled the fuse that operates it . It is installed in our front box with pulled fuse . We are total 39 ft . Trailer and F-250. Probably the booster would solve your problem if you don't have anything operating on their signal. We have the refrigerator temp sensors and they don't cause any issue . That would be unacceptable to me to have to keep resetting . We have had our system now a couple years . When I have called they are pretty helpful . Pat
Old 02-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #133
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Richard never have lost our signal . Was told the atomic clocks can cause you trouble with your signal . We had one and just removed it when we bought the system . I did buy the booster extender but find we don't need it . I pulled the fuse that operates it . It is installed in our front box with pulled fuse . We are total 39 ft . Trailer and F-250. Probably the booster would solve your problem if you don't have anything operating on their signal. We have the refrigerator temp sensors and they don't cause any issue . That would be unacceptable to me to have to keep resetting . We have had our system now a couple years . When I have called they are pretty helpful . Pat
"Atomic Clocks" ?? Say huh? Can I assume you mean, a WWV radio clock? or a GPS clock? An 'atomic clock' is a massively large and complex instrument used at places like the NIST to generate master reference times. Your cellphone, or other sorts of short range wireless stuff like bluetooth are far more likely to interfere than some radio clock, which is purely a receiver of signals that are there whether you receive them or not.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
"Atomic Clocks" ?? Say huh? Can I assume you mean, a WWV radio clock? or a GPS clock? An 'atomic clock' is a massively large and complex instrument used at places like the NIST to generate master reference times. Your cellphone, or other sorts of short range wireless stuff like bluetooth are far more likely to interfere than some radio clock, which is purely a receiver of signals that are there whether you receive them or not.
Sorry I thought that was what it was called. It is the band the clock operates on . Have a Voyager wireless camera that is operating as we go down the road to watch what's behind . Refrigerator sensors , I-ball to hook up , cell phones and Sony blue tooth speaker. Never have lost signal on the road or at home . Start monitor before our trip checking tire pressures in the house . Many big rig trucks going down the road passing us . We have the little sensor monitor on corner of driver side dash because I like to keep my eye on it. Because our truck bed is 8 ft and the trailer thought we needed the extender . After our purchase a couple years ago pulled the fuse to see if we ever lost signal and found we didn't need it. Don't know what is happening but I would give a call for their help. Pat
Old 02-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #135

Quote:
Sorry I thought that was what it was called. It is the band the clock operates on . Have a Voyager wireless camera that is operating as we go down the road to watch what's behind . Refrigerator sensors , I-ball to hook up , cell phones and Sony blue tooth speaker. Never have lost signal on the road or at home . Start monitor before our trip checking tire pressures in the house . Many big rig trucks going down the road passing us . We have the little sensor monitor on corner of driver side dash because I like to keep my eye on it. Because our truck bed is 8 ft and the trailer thought we needed the extender . After our purchase a couple years ago pulled the fuse to see if we ever lost signal and found we didn't need it. Don't know what is happening but I would give a call for their help. Pat
When we purchased , got to talk to owner and he said ,whatever you call those clocks caused signal loses. So we removed ours . Pat
Old 02-26-2018, 09:43 PM   #136

Tire pressure monitoring systems

Quote:
When we purchased , got to talk to owner and he said ,whatever you call those clocks caused signal loses. So we removed ours . Pat
Just found manual for Atomic Clock .Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0286.jpg  
Old 02-26-2018, 10:13 PM   #137

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Hi Pat,
I'm confused on which clock causes the signal problems. Is it the clock in the truck dashboard, or one attached to another instrument, such as the GPS? Also how did you remove it?
Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 12:21 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Hi Pat,
I'm confused on which clock causes the signal problems. Is it the clock in the truck dashboard, or one attached to another instrument, such as the GPS? Also how did you remove it?
Thanks
Hi Richard I posted the manual for the clock post #136 in this thread . There is a picture showing one of those clocks on the manual cover . I still would give them a call and see what they say. Something is off that you have to keep resetting . In Sept before our trip I had to change batteries . I was sure glad didn't have to reset anything and all worked after battery replacement. Except for when we replaced our tires We keep sensors on stems so batteries will die a little faster. Interested in what you find . You still are under warranty if they need to replace . Pat
Old 02-27-2018, 12:40 AM   #139

Quote:
Just found manual for Atomic Clock .Pat
That La Crosse WS-6118 is a clock (which is called "Atomic" because it is synchronized to a master atomic clock by receiving a radio signal), but the problem is that it is also an outside temperature thermometer. The outside temperature is transmitted by radio (at 433.92 MHz) to the inside unit, and it is that radio transmitter (unrelated to keeping time) which would cause interference with other low-power radio equipment - such as the tire pressure monitors - which is operating at the same or adjacent frequency.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #140

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Just out of curiosity, if another vehicle utilizing the same brand of TPMS passes you, might your monitor temporarily pick up their pressure/temperature transmitter signals? It seems that a company would use only a limited number of frequencies within all their products, so the chance of cross-reading signals could be high - though short lived if/when it does happen. Our wireless rear-view camera monitor will occasionally pick up the camera signal/image from another RV passing by. One time, we picked up an image of us from the rear-view camera of another camper directly in front of us. Freaky!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote