Tire pressure monitoring systems - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2018, 10:45 PM   #161

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Does the TST have to be plugged in to 12V power to work? Or does it have a rechargeable internal battery? The TST website listed "USB and 12V charging capabilities" (note "charge" as opposed to "power"). I already have too many cables coursing around my dash and console. So if this needs power cabled from an outlet, advantage solar powered unit (at last while the sun is shining).
Ours has a rechargeable battery . It lasts a long time . You can also plug it in a 12 volt . They also gave us a cord to wire in . We just plug in . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #162

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
TST has rechargeable batteries and a DC power cord. Have used it for two years and would buy it again.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:33 AM   #163
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I ran 12v & ground wires from the dash to behind the seat, added a dual 12v plug-in and use 1 to power my TST monitor, the other supplies power to my wireless rear camera receiver. No nest of wires here.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:10 AM   #164

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
For those with the tst system, have any of you had issues with the sensors being heavy enough to alter wheel balance, or causing valve stem breakage or leaking? One of the few critical reviews of the tst units mentions that the sensors were heavy enough to break rubber valve stems and mark aluminum rims due to thrashing around on flexible stems, but that may have been on considerably longer truck stems.

Also, which of the TST models do you own, and why did you choose that model? The 507 kits come with a repeater, the 510 ones with a remote antenna, the 510 is a bit cheaper. Seems to me that either should work ok with our fiberglass trailers, but specific experience would be nice to hear about.

On the whole though, this system is very favorably reviewed.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:25 PM   #165

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Does the TST have to be plugged in to 12V power to work? Or does it have a rechargeable internal battery? The TST website listed "USB and 12V charging capabilities" (note "charge" as opposed to "power"). I already have too many cables coursing around my dash and console. So if this needs power cabled from an outlet, advantage solar powered unit (at last while the sun is shining).
It has a battery. I leave it plugged in most of the time, but when I need the outlet to charge my phone or anything else, the TST monitor still works. I think it might work for a day or two on battery... but I've never run a test to see exactly how long.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:40 AM   #166

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
The Tire Minder Trailer Solar unit looks very interesting. I would question how long does it take after starting the unit for it to reflect actual cold tire pressures. To me this would be important to be able to check tire pressure in the morning before leaving camp.
Last night I moved our tow vehicle from the nice warm garage out into the cold and dark night. It was mid-30's outside, and as the tire temps (and ergo pressures) started falling from the garage's 68 degrees, as each tire fell below the alarm threshold pressure, the monitor would start beeping and blinking. That was with ~ 30 feet between the stationary tow vehicle (i.e. the sensors weren't in motion) and the monitor sitting on the workbench in the garage, and without the signal booster powered on. So yes, pretty conclusively you would get an accurate pressure and temp indication right away in the morning when leaving camp.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #167

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
The Tire Minder Trailer Solar unit looks very interesting. I would question how long does it take after starting the unit for it to reflect actual cold tire pressures. To me this would be important to be able to check tire pressure in the morning before leaving camp.
Update: The tow vehicle was outside last night, and this morning as I drove off the monitor showed updated pressures and temps for 3 of the tires within about 2 blocks. The 4th tire took maybe 6 or 8 blocks to update with current information.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
It has a battery. I leave it plugged in most of the time, but when I need the outlet to charge my phone or anything else, the TST monitor still works. I think it might work for a day or two on battery... but I've never run a test to see exactly how long.
Mike, the receiver will run on its internal battery for weeks. The company actually recommends that it be unplugged until the receiver signals the battery is low.

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #169

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
Update: The tow vehicle was outside last night, and this morning as I drove off the monitor showed updated pressures and temps for 3 of the tires within about 2 blocks. The 4th tire took maybe 6 or 8 blocks to update with current information.
Thanks for the information. It's reassuring to know that your tire pressure is ok before hitting the road.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:21 PM   #170

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
valve stem cracks

We have the TST 507 non-flow-through tire pressure monitor sensors installed on our Escape 21 since it was new. Today I did the 24,000 mile wheel bearing repacking and noticed the rubber valve stems are cracking on the inside. I am quite sure this is due to the centrifugal force of the pressure sensors.

I see the claim is these sensors will work with either rubber or metal valve stems. It appears that this is not the case. I removed the sensors until I can get metal valve stems installed.

I am unhappy with removing the sensors. Last week I got the alarm on one tire and was able to change it before the pressure dropped below 20 psi. It had a large metal object stuck about 2 inches into the tread. It made a 1/2 inch gash that I was able to plug. (At least it is holding so far.)
Old 06-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #171

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We have the TST 507 non-flow-through tire pressure monitor sensors installed on our Escape 21 since it was new. Today I did the 24,000 mile wheel bearing repacking and noticed the rubber valve stems are cracking on the inside. I am quite sure this is due to the centrifugal force of the pressure sensors.

I see the claim is these sensors will work with either rubber or metal valve stems. It appears that this is not the case. I removed the sensors until I can get metal valve stems installed.

I am unhappy with removing the sensors. Last week I got the alarm on one tire and was able to change it before the pressure dropped below 20 psi. It had a large metal object stuck about 2 inches into the tread. It made a 1/2 inch gash that I was able to plug. (At least it is holding so far.)
If you are due for new tires soon, or even if not if you want to avoid valve stem damage, switch to metal valve stems.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #172

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A half inch gash is pretty big, I'd have the tire also patched from inside and use it as a spare.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #173

Richard, you dont have to get metal stems just the better grade of rubber. I remember the tire guy mentioning he had used them last tire change. Not sure if the pictures shows it well enough.
Attached Thumbnails
20190627_145320.jpg  
Old 06-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #174

Have the same TST 507 and took the outside cap off that supposedly locks it when the tire guy just used his hand to undo them. Make them a bit smaller.

Edit: check out the pathetically pitted rim!
Old 07-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #175

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Tiretraker success story and comment on valve stems

We got a TireTraker about a year ago. When we started on a recent trip, it took a while to see updated pressures so I replaced the batteries on the tire monitors even though they were just a few months old and recharged the monitor. Two days ago, while traveling on I-80 in Wyoming near the Utah border, we got a set of beeps and the TireTraker told us that the pressure on one tire had dropped to 48 psi. Curious, but what to do?

We drove on down the freeway and just before we reached the next exit, it indicated pressure had dropped to 15 psi. I pulled off the highway into a truck stop and found the tire flat. Using my Andersen leveler under the good tire, I raised the trailer enough to remove and replace the flat tire with the spare. Fortunately, I had checked the spare as I was preparing for the trip and had to pump it up from 30 psi to 50 psi. Also fortunately, when I checked the torque on the wheels before departing, I put the socket into my toolbox and had already put the torque wrench into the front storage box. So changing the tire was relatively easy. 50 miles later, I torqued the wheel nuts again and found that I did have to do a little tightening. 100 miles later, at our overnight stop, I found the wheel nuts still tight.

The next day, we went to a Big O tire store when it opened at 8 am, and the tech determined that the valve stem had broken and he replaced it free, and only asked that we consider Big O Tire for our next visit which I certainly will do. The TireTraker people recommend metal valve stems and that sounds like good advice to me. Since I have almost 5 years on the tires, I had planned to replace them this fall anyway and will ask for metal valve stems.

We drove home about another 1000 miles without further incident.

I am so glad I got the TireTraker and my wife, originally a little skeptical, is also a believer in the value of a TPMS. We were only delayed a little and did not have to replace a tire on the road.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #176

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Were the tire stems the original from the factory in 2015?
Old 07-29-2019, 04:51 PM   #177

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It is possible that in this case the TireTraker detected a leak from a valve stem failure which it caused; without the load of the sensor on the stem, it might not have failed. We'll never know.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #178

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It is possible that in this case the TireTraker detected a leak from a valve stem failure which it caused; without the load of the sensor on the stem, it might not have failed. We'll never know.
That is why I switched to metal stems with my new tires & monitors.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Were the tire stems the original from the factory in 2015?
Yes, they were. Who changes tire valve stems without changing tires?
Old 07-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree, and this is why I commented that I will put metal valve stems on when I replace the tires this fall.