Tire Wear - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B 2007
Tire Wear

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced extraordinary tire wear? We have a 2008 17B which we purchased in spring 2010 - so far we have replaced 3 tires due to extraordinary wear (luckily before they were flat). Both wheels have been affected. We're thinking of having the axle checked but are wondering if any of you have had a similar experience or thoughts.
smalach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm running original Marathon tires on my 2008 17B and don't expect to replace them for another year or two. Tread shows next to no wear. I keep them inflated to between 45psi and 48psi.
I'm no help.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would definitely have the axle checked to see if the alignment is okay. Is it just one side, or both? I have had no issues with my 19.

My construction dump trailer had major tire wear issues, and I took it to Standens here in Calgary, and what they did was to bend my axle as req'd to align the wheels. It worked great, and I have yet to have to change up the tires after a few years. Not sure if that can be done with our torsion axles or not though. Maybe Escape could offer a suggestion if you sent them an email.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17B 2007
The last tires were Marathons. After checking online it seems like the ones made in China are of poor quality but the ones manufactured in North America are good. Too bad the consumer can't tell. I would attribute it to a poor quality tire except this is an annual occurrence. Its both sides so since we have gone to Standens with our previous 1979 Surfside it looks like a return trip is in order. I'll also take your suggestion and email Escape.
smalach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalach View Post
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced extraordinary tire wear? We have a 2008 17B which we purchased in spring 2010 - so far we have replaced 3 tires due to extraordinary wear (luckily before they were flat). Both wheels have been affected. We're thinking of having the axle checked but are wondering if any of you have had a similar experience or thoughts.
I've had the same problem with our current tent trailer. I asked about it at the tire shop and was told that it is a frequent problem with trailers with no solution other than buying tires. I'm sure it is an alignment problem but there is no way to adjust it. GRRR!
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
In any tire wear situation, it is very useful to see the wear pattern; in many cases, the problem can be determined (or at least narrowed down) just by looking at the tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealmccarter View Post
I've had the same problem with our current tent trailer. I asked about it at the tire shop and was told that it is a frequent problem with trailers with no solution other than buying tires.
In some cases this is true, because trailer manufacturers use the smallest possible tires with adequate load capacity... and cheap ones of obsolete designs as well. This might be the problem with the tent trailer, but is not so likely for any Escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealmccarter View Post
I'm sure it is an alignment problem but there is no way to adjust it.
Trailer axles typically have no adjustments, unlike more sophisticated automotive suspensions... but rear suspensions are often not adjustable even in modern cars. The Dexter Torflex used by Escape (in all years and models, as far as I know) has no easy adjustments.

Wrong toe-in is a likely suspect in excessive tire wear, and can be adjusted by bending in a beam axle (which is normally on leaf springs, and perhaps what Jim has under his construction trailer), and might be possible with a Torflex... but I wouldn't count on it.

Incorrect camber is a less likely source of high wear, but at least it can be fixed by bending the square tube of the Torflex which goes across the frame. This tube is actually slightly bent deliberately at the factory to produce a bit of positive camber (tops of tires tilted outward), to compensate for the tendency of the weight of the trailer to make the axle flex is the negative camber direction.

One type of misalignment which cannot be adjusted or tweaked out, but can be fixed by re-mounting the axle assembly on the frame, is being out of square. In this situation, the whole axle (so both tires) points in a slightly different direction from the trailer, so the trailer tracks off-centre behind the tug and is always scrubbing the tires sideways a bit. This can be checked by measuring from the tip of the coupler to corresponding reference points on both ends of the axle. The same problem can be caused by a bent (or built off-square) tongue; that would need to be fixed at the tongue. Both causes of this seem unlikely in an Escape (I have less confidence in most RV builders, including some of Escape's direct competitors), but it couldn't hurt to check.

If the rubber bushings (which are the springs) in a Torflex are worn out, it can cause alignment problems that can't be fixed as described above. That usually takes decades in travel trailers. Similarly, the suspension arms can be bent, but that would normally take a collision or very hard curb hit. In either case, the only fix is complete axle replacement.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote