Tires - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #111

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've had my original bearings inspected and repacked every couple years since 2008.
They are still good to go. Only needed to replace the seals.
My mechanic said he thought every year was overkill and that every other one was plenty cautious. Oops -- thread drift alert!

(Wow - just got an email confirmation from Discount Tires that my tires are mounted, balanced and packed up for shipment. Thats less than 2 hours after I placed the order.)

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #112

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I am wondering what tire pressure to use with the D rated 205's? The max weight rating is achieved at 65psi, but I am thinking that that high of a pressure would make the trailer ride rougher. Jon, you said you run yours at 50, but that that is the max rating on your wheels. Would you run higher if your wheels were rated higher?

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #113

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
There seems to be quite a bit of "discussion"as to whether running tires at their maximum rated air pressure or matching the pressure to the weight of the trailer is best. I even got different opinions from two different mechanics at my local RV dealer. My solution, forced by the rim limit, lets me duck out of the debate! I have found no noticeable difference in ride when going from the "C" rated Michelins at 45 PSI (Recommended by ETI) and the Maxxis "D" tires at 50PSI.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
There seems to be quite a bit of "discussion"as to whether running tires at their maximum rated air pressure or matching the pressure to the weight of the trailer is best. I even got different opinions from two different mechanics at my local RV dealer. My solution, forced by the rim limit, lets me duck out of the debate! I have found no noticeable difference in ride when going from the "C" rated Michelins at 45 PSI (Recommended by ETI) and the Maxxis "D" tires at 50PSI.
Jon - is it stamped on your rims somewhere about the max psi? I looked at my old ones and didn't see it anywhere, but I just may have missed it. These look to be the model that came on mine and eTrailer lists them as 65 psi rated :

Dexstar Steel Mini Mod Trailer Wheel - 14" x 5-1/2" Rim - 5 on 4-1/2 - White Powder Coat Dexstar Tires and Wheels AM20365

Also, on eTrailer.com I found this in one of their answers to questions: "Trailer tires should ALWAYS be inflated to the maximum psi rating as indicated on the tire without exception. The reason is that if under inflated, because trailer tires are built with a thicker side wall to handle more vertical load, a lower pressure will cause excessive heat build up and cause the tire to fail."

Tires - the more I read, the more confusing it all is.......

Old 08-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #115

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I've always been told that the tires should be kept at max psi regardless of the trailer. Interesting that some RV shops disagree.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #116

But yet Maxxis and Goodyear both show load limits of their tires at different inflation pressures up to the maximum.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #117

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
If there is a stamp, I haven't seen it. I'm going by the answer when I asked ETI for the rim pressure limit.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #118

I've got a couple of 14" wheels that are apparently 65 psi rated that I will give you a really good deal on! One looks kinda ugly right now

Also - I emailed Carlisle and they said that at 50 psi that the 205 D is rated at 1820# and they said nothing about it needing to be at the full 65 psi. So eTrailer says one thing and the manufacturer says another.....more and more interesting.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #119

Emailed Carlisle for further clarification and this was the reply:

As a general rule of thumb, we suggest that you maintain air pressure at the maximum PSI recommended on the tire sidewall.

Under-inflation means over-deflection/overloaded. The load is too great for the inflation pressure. As long as you do not exceed the 1820 lbs per tire and maintain 50 psi, the tires will not be overloaded.

Our ST205/75R15 LRD tire will carry 2150 lbs at 65 psi or 1820 lbs at 50 psi. As the psi goes down the tires load capacity goes down as well. If you were to carry 2150 lbs at 50 psi the tire would be underinflated / overloaded.

Please ensure that your tire is in fact a LRD tire prior to inflating beyond 50 psi. Never exceed the recommended sidewall pressure

Old 08-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #120

Trailer: Escape
The spec sticker on the outside of our Escape 19 with 14" tires shows 50 psi cold tire pressure.