Tires - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #141

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Sure seems to be alot of different info on whats best. My take is to keep them inflated properly, clean and protected from uv as much as possible and replace them when they are worn out
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #142

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Many of us have occasional-use motor vehicles that are parked for months at a time: convertibles, motorcycles, race cars, and so on. Does anyone block them up, pull the wheels, and take the tires in the house for storage... or Baglo's spa day?
I won't be doing that for a travel trailer.

The differing inflation directions are interesting. Does either source provide the logic behind the recommendation?
Actually Yes I do Brian
My summer car I place on stands. On both my trailers I have a seperate set of "storage tires" that go on them at the end of season and I raise the trailers off the ground. The good tires go into covered storage. What I don't do is the spa treatment.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #143

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Brian - nope - no explanation. Here is Goodyear's from page 13 of the Tire Guide pdf:
Storing your vehicle properly helps protect your tires.
• Keep your vehicle in a cool, dry storage area out of direct sunlight and UV rays.
• Unload your vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
• Inflate your tires to recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but don’t exceed the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity.
• Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water before storing them to remove any oils that may have accumulated from the road.
• Move your vehicle at least every three months to help prevent cracking and flat-spotting, but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
• Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can’t be put on blocks, make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level.

And Carlisle from page 94 of their catalog:

– Keep trailer tires in a cool dry place and out of direct sunlight
during storage.
– Use tire covers to protect tires from the harsh effects of direct
sunlight, moisture and temperature extremes.
– During extended storage, use a thin piece of wood or other surface
barrier under tires to extend tire life. For seasonal or extreme long term storage, elevate the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. Reduce the air pressure and cover the tires to protect them from direct sunlight.
– Replace trailer tires every three to five years.
– If you experience a series of successive blowouts, something is
wrong with your setup, it is not a tire problem.

Notice the Carlisle recommendation to replace every 3-5 years.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #144

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Does anyone block them up, pull the wheels, and take the tires in the house for storage...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Actually Yes I do Brian
Ian, having seen photos and descriptions of your Boler, I am certain that you are more diligent and far more energetic than I am. I don't feel bad about not achieving your standards
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #145

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Thanks Eric.

I see one possible explanation buried in the procedures:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Here is Goodyear's from page 13 of the Tire Guide pdf:
Storing your vehicle properly helps protect your tires.
• Unload your vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
• Inflate your tires to recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but don’t exceed the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity.
• Move your vehicle at least every three months to help prevent cracking and flat-spotting, but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
• Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can’t be put on blocks, make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level.

And Carlisle from page 94 of their catalog:

– During extended storage, use a thin piece of wood or other surface
barrier under tires to extend tire life. For seasonal or extreme long term storage, elevate the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. Reduce the air pressure and cover the tires to protect them from direct sunlight.
Perhaps Goodyear is assuming that significant load will be on the tires (the entire weight of the empty trailer, because up on blocks is not required), and the increased pressure is to reduce flat-spotting. Carlisle, on the other hand, may be assuming that the trailer is up on blocks so the trailers are not carrying any load.

Also, Goodyear advises (in other documents) to use the correct inflation pressure for the load, so it is likely that the tires could be inflated more and still be within their limits. Carlisle, in contrast, says to inflate all of their trailer tires to their maximum, so increased inflation would not be possible.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #146

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
From what I've read, I'll not likely replace my tires with Carlisle since they have so little faith in their product ( – Replace trailer tires every three to five years. ).
Old 10-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #147

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I just got new shoes put on my F-350 (that was painful, even on a 4 for 3 sale). I talked to the manager there about replacing my trailer tires next spring, which will be 6 years. He asked if there they were in good shape, and have lots of tread left. I said for suer, not even a flat in that time. He said he would run them at least another year, and ascertain their condition then. When I asked him about the manufacture suggesting 5-6 years max, dependant upon condition, his eyes rolled to the back of his head. He just said, of course they will tell you that, they want to sell you more tires. He went on to mention a few other things they deal with that have the same issue, like struts being changed every 80k km.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #148

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Glenn, I don't think it is necessarily an indication of quality of the Carlisle, more an indication of their marketing division and probably their insurance company, (But then I'm the guy who had the 4 year old garaged, jacked up in the winter, correctly inflated, not overloaded Goodyear explode on me) I've said this before, but I cannot understand given modern materials and our growing understanding of how to make things better, why trailer tires and wheel bearing seem to act like they were made in the 1940s.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #149

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I suspect that some exec in marketing told the new kid to write the tire care info and the kid, of course, Googled "tire maintenance" and then copied and pasted.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #150

Hey - you wouldn't expect him to actually do any research would you??

Old 04-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #151

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
This is an interesting thread from 3 years back. I don't think tires have changed since then. Here are my questions:

With a tandem axil, does having the trailer level with 10 to 15% weight on the hitch result in equal load on each axil? If not, how is equal load checked/insured?

What is your tire rotation pattern and interval? I was thinking of moving the spare to the back passenger tire and moving each tier to the next position around in a circular pattern each 6k miles.

How often do you adjust your brakes. Casita recommended each 3k miles, but I found mine hardly needed any adjustment and I'm considering each 6k miles so it coincides with tire rotation.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #152

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
With a tandem axle, having the trailer level when towing, will distribute the weight well between the two axles. Hitch weight would not factor much into this.

I have never rotated trailer tires. None of them drive or steer, so wear is usually very uniform. If for some reason I saw uneven wear I would first try to see why.

I like to adjust brakes once a year, unless I was to put more miles on, then would do them more frequently. It is one of those things that takes 30 minutes to do 4 wheels, so not that big of task. I also do it whenever I do the bearings, as the wheel is in the air anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #153

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Rick, I rotate the tires every 5,000 miles, primarily to incorporate the spare and attempt even wear for all 5 tires. Even if the tread is good, they all time out at 6-7 years. My rotation is as follows:

* Spare to Right front
* Right front to right rear
* Right rear to left front
* Left front to left rear
* Left rear to spare

My brakes were adjusted at 10,000 miles and only needed a minor tweak. The bearings were in good shape and only needed new grease and new seals.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #154

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I cannot reply in regards to rotation but on rereading some of this old thread I noticed this from the Goodyear recommendations...

That would be nice if you didn't live where it can be extremely cold for more than three months. As it was end of last month when getting the trailer pulled out of it's spot to go to Thunder Bay I had to cut the snowbanks beside the driveway back. At least the weight was off the tires from Oct. to March.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #155

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
At least the weight was off the tires from Oct. to March.
Do you jack up your wheels during storage?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:13 PM   #156

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
At least the weight was off the tires from Oct. to March.
Do you jack up your wheels during storage?
Lifted the whole trailer Jim, had hoped to work under it in the fall, but was still recovering from last summer's heart issues, all is good now. The north side still had the tire locked in ice until only the day before we left for Thunder Bay last month (took trailer to our son's just to sleep in). Still haven't been able to de-winterize it though, between the snow today and temps between -3 and -5 right through to Sat night don't know just when I will. Still hoping though to start the trek west next Wed, would be nice to have water

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #157

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Have a safe trip west, see you in Osoyoos....
Old 04-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #158

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Thanks for the rotation information, Steve. Is there a reason you selected your rotation pattern? I'm trying to figure out of one pattern has advantages over another.

I have a couple of tire questions/observations:

I heard that bias (as apposed to radial) trailer tires work just as well, last as long (since tread wear is not the life limiting factor) and are less expensive. What is their limitation?

I also don't see people having blow-out and separation problems with light truck tires. Is this because few people put them on their Escape trailers? Should I read the Oliver forum?
Old 04-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I also don't see people having blow-out and separation problems with light truck tires. Is this because few people put them on their Escape trailers? Should I read the Oliver forum?
There have been some extended discussions in the past here about using LT tires on this forum. Here is one: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...n-tv-9719.html

And another: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tion-9496.html

Using the Google option in the Search button above will give you even more threads with this discussion.