Tires - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #81
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Do you know the born-on date of the tires? They may be older than you think...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #82

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I have read some many conflicting things on LT tires on trailer that if left my head spinning and deciding to go with ST, but that whole discussion occupies whole treads on various forums.

The tires have this on them: DOT M6KC VLOR 0110 I believe that means that they were made in January of 2010?

Maxxis a a brand name that keeps coming up in my searches as a quality ST tire. Does anyone have experience with them?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #83

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The tire companies maintain R&D departments that spend hundreds of thousands of dollars designing and engineering tires, some specifically for trailers. I'm not sure why we would think we can out smart them.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #84
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The tire companies maintain R&D departments that spend hundreds of thousands of dollars designing and engineering tires, some specifically for trailers. I'm not sure why we would think we can out smart them.
I'd agree with that. But, it would appear that sometimes all that R&D fails if a tire that is designed specifically for the trailer, is on the right rim, and that is properly inflated, can still explode.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #85

Well, stuff happens. But, I figure it's unlikely that those who haven't had issues would post their experience on the internet. They continue to run on Marathons, after years and years, with the six-year warranty.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #86

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I have read some many conflicting things on LT tires on trailer that if left my head spinning and deciding to go with ST, but that whole discussion occupies whole treads on various forums.

The tires have this on them: DOT M6KC VLOR 0110 I believe that means that they were made in January of 2010?

Maxxis a a brand name that keeps coming up in my searches as a quality ST tire. Does anyone have experience with them?
I have Maxxis ST205/75/15 tires on my 17B. While they are "D" rated and could run at 65PSI, I run them at 50PSI since ETI tells me that is the rating of the rims. I got 30,000 miles on the stock set of Marathons that came with the trailer, and have 25,000 miles so far on one of the Maxxis tires. I picked up a nail in the outside edge of the other Maxxis tire and had to replace it with a no name brand from the nearest tractor supply store while on a trip. I will probably replace both of them earlier than necessary with another set of "D" rated Maxxis tires. The Maxxis on the trailer looks good for at least another 5K...
Old 08-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #87

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Wow, Eric, glad you and Mary are all right and don't look like those tires.

I have wondered about the Marathons and the Carlisles as plenty of bad reviews can be found for both. Maybe something else is the way to go. I talked to a tire guy who said that Marathons suck but unfortunately he also said that most people do not have trailer tires balanced and sounded as if they did not need it. They should be balanced. His favorite was Powerwing I think. But he said that many tires are the same with different names put on them. Which means Powerwings, or anything, could be Marathons, I guess.

I just wish some of the good brands we have had on cars had a trailer version.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #88

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
So, my current plan is to go with new Carlisle Radial Trail RH slightly larger ST215/75R14 rather than the stock 205's.
I will also need to replace the rims with 6" width rather than the stock 5.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While the wheel width change would be suitable, I don't see it as needed. The allowed rim width for Goodyear Marathon ST215/75R14 is 5.5" to 7.0", so the original wheels would still be within the allowed range.
I just realized that I quoted Goodyear specs, but you're going with Carlisle. I doubt it matters - allowed rim width seems standardized, so it is likely the same for the Carlisles. The Carlisle web page only gives the measuring rim width of 6" (not the allowed range),
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #89

Quote:
I think that Reace now uses 15" on the 17's so they should have loads of extra capacity if that is the case.
Yes, ETI's The 17 Foot Escape page includes this in Features:
Quote:
15″ Radial Tires (ST205-75R-15, balanced)
If you're buying wheels anyway, it wouldn't be much different in cost or any different in effort to go with the currently specified ST205/75R15. It might even have lower rolling drag than a ST215/75R14 (due to less width), and the overall diameter and loaded height differences are very small.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #90

Quote:
From Michelin (and consistent with various other sources):
Quote:
2. Department of Transportation Safety Code

This assures that your tire complies with all Department of Transportation (DOT) and Transport Canada safety standards. After the DOT insignia is your tire’s identification number, which begins with the tire’s manufacturer and plant code where the tire was manufactured (two numbers or letters). The ninth and tenth characters tell the week the tire was manufactured. The final number(s) signifies the year the tire was manufactured.
Following this, the code appears to be
DOT
M6 - Manufacturer & Plant: Goodyear, Lawton OK (from a code list)
KC VLOR
01 - week 01
10 - 2010

They were not excessively old.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #91

I tried pricing trailer tires on a Kal tire site and on OK tire and got nowhere. None of the fields required apply to trailer tires and I couldn't find a button.
Found 205 75R15 Goodyear Marathons for $150 ea. on Canadian Tire site, but nothing for Carlisle.
Near as I could discover OK tire is only place for Maxxis, but I can't find trailer tires.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #92
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I ran ST 205/75 R15 Marathons on my Scamp for seven years. Always at maximum pressure, always protected from UVs when parked and... cool asphalt. Sorry, I live in the Pacific NorthWET and water is a bigger issue on the highways than hot pavement.

Over the years, reading all the all molded forums, it wasn't the 15" Marathons that had problems, but the 14". That's not to say there wasn't a posting here or there, but the 14" problems FAR had more problems than the 15" and most of those were on hot pavement. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I tried pricing trailer tires on a Kal tire site and on OK tire and got nowhere. None of the fields required apply to trailer tires and I couldn't find a button.
Found 205 75R15 Goodyear Marathons for $150 ea. on Canadian Tire site, but nothing for Carlisle.
Near as I could discover OK tire is only place for Maxxis, but I can't find trailer tires.
In these cases you need to search by size or brand, since specifying the vehicle doesn't work.

Kal Tire:
Search by brand: Carlisle at Kal Tire. Kal doesn't list Goodyear of any type.
Search by size at Kal Tire shows Carlisle and Goodride in ST215/75R14 and ST205/75R15.

OK Tire:
I could not find a trailer tire in either size (searching by size) or any ST tire manufacturer (searching by brand) at OK Tire.

Big O Tires:
Big O Tires says they are a Maxxis distributor in Canada. Browsing by brand for Maxxis at Big O I don't see the M8008 (their only ST tire), but I do see the UE-168(N) which is very suitable for trailer use... if you don't mind the 185R14C size.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #94

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, ETI's The 17 Foot Escape page includes this in Features:

If you're buying wheels anyway, it wouldn't be much different in cost or any different in effort to go with the currently specified ST205/75R15. It might even have lower rolling drag than a ST215/75R14 (due to less width), and the overall diameter and loaded height differences are very small.
I wonder if the 15" would have proper clearance on my 2010 17B?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #95

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
15' tire fit on my 2008 17b. (and I don't have the high axel installed either.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
15' tire fit on my 2008 17b. (and I don't have the high axel installed either.
Thanks. Anybody know if Reace switched from Goodyear to Carlisle due to quality issues or just for pricing?

Old 08-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #97

Reace told me that a slightly larger tire should be no problem. And since JMac has been using 15" on his 17B without the high axle - I am leaning toward ST205/75R15 as replacements.

I wonder if my existing 14" spare could still be ok? With no differential to worry about, only about a 1/2" radius difference, it would seem like temporary use of the 14" in event of a flat until the 15" was replaced would be acceptable. Anyone see any problems with that that I am not thinking of?

Reace also said that Goodyear's price suddenly skyrocketed and became uncompetitive. He says that he is quite happy with the performance of the Carlisle thus far.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #98
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I stayed with the 14 spare as it's relegated to temporary use. If your flat is on the street side, the smaller spare will make the trailer ride a bit more level since it would compensate for the crown in the road................

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #99

Quote:
I wonder if my existing 14" spare could still be ok? With no differential to worry about, only about a 1/2" radius difference, it would seem like temporary use of the 14" in event of a flat until the 15" was replaced would be acceptable. Anyone see any problems with that that I am not thinking of?
I agree, but the difference in the tires might cause the trailer to track a little off-centre. No big deal, but that could induce sway at higher speeds, so I would treat the mismatched pair of tires the same as a compact spare on a car: good for use at reduced speeds for a moderate distance.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #100

Talked with a helpful guy at Discount Tire online, who offered me the D rated Carlisle ST205/75R15 mounted and balanced on aluminum Raceline 870 Trailer wheels, free delivery with a total cost of $341. That is cheaper than I could get locally for the C rated with the Carlisle standard steel wheel. No one local seems to have the D rated version and Maxxon lists that tire size as only available as a C.

After my experience I will take all the extra load capacity that I can get. I think I will have metal stems put on too.
Attached Thumbnails
t_20130513.all870.gbf.xl.jpg