Tires - low mileage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A "Traveling Sedge"
Tires - low mileage

Hi There-

Sadly, I don't have enough vacation time to take my Escape out regularly. I have had her about 3 years and probably have less than 4,000 miles on the tires. My question is - do the tires wear just from sitting for long times? I have my trailer covered for most of the year but do not adjust the tire pressure for this time when she sits.

Also, are the trailer tires 'real' automobile tires or are they made specifically for trainers?

Do these tires have some kind of recommended mileage limit or should I have them inspected regularly to evaluate when to replace.

Should I be concerned that my tires innards wear from just sitting while fully inflated?

thanks for any insight on this.

~ Jane
angler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Your tires are designed to be used on trailers. They have a life span regardless of tire wear, anywhere from 6-7 years, depending upon who you ask.

My preference is to keep them fully inflated to 40 psi, as the sidewalls are designed to be rigid, not flexible like a car tire.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Big factor in tires is UV damage from the sun, which is why a bunch of tire covers are sold and seen on trailers in storage. Weakens the sidewalls and results in checking/cracks on the sunny side.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I don't know if it makes a difference or not but in addition to what Mr. Bennett related, I store the Escape in a building with a concrete floor. I run the wheels up on 2x10 lumber and make sure the tires are fully inflated. That's what I have done on my boats over the years too. Age and under inflation are tire killers, that's for sure. Our tires will be six or seven in the spring so I'll probably change them out in March before the spring season gets under weigh. I don't know exactly how many miles are on them but I'm sure it's approaching 50,000 and they don't look too bad.
Dave.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Your tires are designed to be used on trailers. They have a life span regardless of tire wear, anywhere from 6-7 years, depending upon who you ask.

My preference is to keep them fully inflated to 40 psi, as the sidewalls are designed to be rigid, not flexible like a car tire.
Wouldn't 50psi be fully inflated?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Wouldn't 50psi be fully inflated?
Oh course, just testing you all.

Oopsie.........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by angler24 View Post
Also, are the trailer tires 'real' automobile tires or are they made specifically for [trailers?]
They're really tires anyway, generally of the design used for most automobiles a few decades ago, with construction details as per the Tire & Rim Association's "Special Trailer" standard. Since that standard doesn't involve testing with drive torque, tires built to this standard are for use only on trailers.

Almost any tire can be used safely and effectively on a trailer (but the load capacity needs to be checked carefully), and some types are particularly suitable for trailers in addition to other applications, but the only common type which are good only for trailers are Special Trailer tires, with the size/type designation starting with "ST".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A "Traveling Sedge"
Thanks for the great info. Sounds like I am OK for now and know what to watch for.

~ Jane
angler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Most trailer tires will be replaced due to age versus mileage, except Jon V.'s trailer. After 5-7 years they should be replaced. Mine have close to 20,000 miles but still have 90% tread left.