Tonneau Cover - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
I've had the Undercover Flex for two years, following the lead of several Escape owners, whose names, shall we say, escape me.

It's been entirely waterproof and has two prop rods that keep the sections from leaning on the cab, when folded. My son chose the Bak, and is now trying to add things to waterproof it.

Bought mine on line and installed it myself. A friend in town here just bought one after seeing ours, installed it himself, and gave a good report.

Not saying it's better, just that I'm pleased.
The dealership I went to suggested that the rails that the MX4 cover sat on were a better design for the waterproofing. They also say it depends on how perfect that seals were and any imperfections tended to leak somewhat.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I've had the Extang Solid Fold on my Frontier for about 4 years, and it works for me. A bit leaky around the edges, mostly because I have taken if off many times and damaged the foam gaskets by dragging it over the rails. What I like about it is the ease of opening, and ease of installation/removal when I need the open box. It folds up in three panels. If I remember correctly, it was a bit on the pricey side of the scale when I bought it, but would likely get another when the time comes.
without a hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
they are liking the Undercover Ultra Flex better than the Bakflip MX4. I guess you could pick one up at a dealership in Mount Vernon, WA.
Since I drive through Mt. Vernon 2-3 times a month that wouldn't be an issue if it becomes the first choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
I've had the Undercover Flex for two years, f.
Quote:
Originally Posted by without a hitch View Post
I've had the Extang Solid Fold on my Frontier for about 4 years, and it works for me.
I definitely have to get a spreadsheet going.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I did a ton of research on this when I bought one and settled on the Fold-a-Cover with the built in tool caddy. It has done me great for near 3 years now I carry all my tools in the caddy, which I do need a step stool which I use to reach all the way in.

No leaks, fairly secure, easy to install, and still working good, so glad for what I chose.
Like Jim, Mike, and a few others here, I have a fold a cover with the cargo box on my Ram with a 5.5 bed. This one has four folding panels which work well for camping. Opening the back up gives quick access to the bed for all the stuff stored in there. I previously had a two panel version on an older F150 which is why I bought it again for the Ram.

The whole unit including the bed box comes off in about 15 minutes when I need to use the truck as a truck to move equipment. In this area, it's a bit more complicated to get out of the way than some of the Bak products.

The minor downsides are the black aluminum gets hot. You could fry an egg on it in the summer. Also, I've been keeping the locks lubricated. Past experience says water can get in and freeze or otherwise mess things up.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
If you don’t need fold up, I prefer the Undercover, their original one piece rigid model.

I had a folder, brand escapes me right now, it always leaked.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
I have to agree with NCBill. The Undercover lids have been faultfree on 3 of my Fords. They hold up well even when parked out in the sun and most importantly, they don't leak.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanizer View Post
I have to agree with NCBill. The Undercover lids have been faultfree on 3 of my Fords. They hold up well even when parked out in the sun and most importantly, they don't leak.
I liked my Undercover rigid lid because it's rotomolded to be strong enough that several people could stand on it, plus it's simple to add Thule bars for carrying the bicycles on it instead of the trailer. Have one on my last 3 trucks ( since I always buy Tacomas, I just transferred the same lid to successive trucks.)Takes less than a minute to totally remove it, too.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
If I go with another tonneau it will be the rigid Undercover. This truck I am using an ARE camper top. Most of the time a tonneau would work, and visibility is much better.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 escape 21
I have a used 3 back flip tonneau cover to fit a 2016 F150 super crew 5.5 ft box. I bought it new with the truck but have since bought a canopy so no longer need it. They are not waterproof but do provide protection. I am in Mission BC. It is in good shape $450
brynwatkins49@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Send a message via MSN to earlejk Send a message via Yahoo to earlejk
Find the UnderCover model that works for your truck and don't look back. Everyone's needs and compromise tastes vary, but I have had mine for two years on my 2016 Ram 1500, and am completely happy. Researched and bought a BakFlip for my previous truck (Silverado) and it was okay, but toward the end water would seep into it (it was the "insulated" one) and it was heavy to flip open. UnderCover is the best of all worlds for me. With a little help you can remove it in under 5 minutes, and have the full bed available. I have never gotten the contents of the bed wet. I'll stop, - I'm sure others love their choice just as well.
earlejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 19'
Had the backflip for 2 years and wouldn't recommend it. Clumsy and lets water and dust in.
Garry Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:25 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
In my experience the dust issue is a result of gaps around the tailgate allowing the dust to be sucked in. Stick-on rubber weather stripping kits are available to solve this problem. Cheap and easy fix!
Kingfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlejk View Post
I'll stop, - I'm sure others love their choice just as well.
You're right, I bet there are a few good choices out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
In my experience the dust issue is a result of gaps around the tailgate allowing the dust to be sucked in. Stick-on rubber weather stripping kits are available to solve this problem. Cheap and easy fix!
Fold-a-Cover supplies one of these kits with the tonneau cover. It does not eliminate dust, but sure does cut down on it a lot.

Not sure how many tonneau covers allow tailgate and cover operation independent of each other. This is a feature a friend does not have, but I do on mine. He always has to open the cover to open the tailgate. I would be curious if this is common, or not.

Never had a drop of rain in my box or tool caddy in near 3 years either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:07 PM   #34

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by brynwatkins49@gmail.com View Post
I have a used 3 back flip tonneau cover to fit a 2016 F150 super crew 5.5 ft box. I bought it new with the truck but have since bought a canopy so no longer need it. They are not waterproof but do provide protection. I am in Mission BC. It is in good shape $450
Thanks, bur we ended up getting the Undercover Ultraflex, which installed really easily.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:15 AM   #35

Trailer: 201? Dreaming
We've had our Bak-flip for about 6 months now. What steered us to it was the kayak/bike rack attachment. As for water, we live in Florida & simply keep everything in plastic tubs in the bed, but I haven't noticed that much water back there.
ShallowGal is offline   Reply With Quote