Tonneau Cover with a 5.0 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Tonneau Cover with a 5.0

We are much like you with our 19, Dave. Only on extended trips do we find we need the space the tow provides. Much of this comes from what we want in the vehicle for when away from the trailer. These units have lots of storage, and we don't even use the tongue box either.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Re: Tonneau Cover with a 5.0

I was nervous about storage capacity when we down sized to a 19 ft but have been amazed at how much storage there really is. Still the best choise so far was making the wardrobe closet into a pantry, we had them put three shelves in there and it is simply awesome with the use of baskets to keep everything organized. We really went through what we had in the trailer when we unloaded the old one and are still questioning a few things we have with us. The truth is we just don't need all that much stuff with us.

dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
5th Wheel & Tonneau

A bit late, but I realized I have never finished the thread on my attempt to modify a soft tonneau cover to use while the Escape 5.0 is in tow.

It worked great!

I purchased a cheap snap type cover from Extang, because it was cheap, and because the snaps gave me access to the front of the box. I cut three sides of an opening to accommodate the pin-box (the hitch is just below the cover), and surrounded it in Velcro to close it when without the trailer.

When the trailer was in tow, I had Velcro straps to roll up the excess cover, but in the end it worked better just to let it hang into the box. The opening was long enough to accommodate both positions of the sliding hitch. This made hooking-up easier; I would simply raise the pin to clear the tailgate and cover, lower it into the opening behind the hitch, and slide on in the proper (and safe) manner.

The snaps allowed access to manipulate the hitch, and the flexibility in placing the cross-rails meant that all thee could remain in place with the hitch in the forward, towing position. One was easily removed on the occasion I used the rear, maneuvering position. However, when it gets cold, those snaps are hard on the fingers, not to mention a bit tedious at any time.

So water does get in through the pin-box opening, even to some degree with the opening closed – Velcro is not waterproof – but the corrugations in the box liner served to channel it away and keep things high and dry(ish). I don’t put anything in the box that must be kept dry, but surprisingly they did stay dry. The big advantage is that nothing needs to be tied down, and it’s all out of sight when we’re away from the vehicle. Out of sight is really about as secure as it gets, and nothing in there is worth the price of a damaged cover.

Now, alas, I’ve sold the Ranger, and I need a new solution for the Frontier. I guess that means a rev II.

I currently use a TruXedo Deuce, which is a soft cover that allows hinged access to the front of the box. I haven’t mounted the hitch yet, but by my calculations, I will be able to open the front section with the trailer attached. The cross-bars are also movable, so should be good… or maybe something different.

Anyway, anybody with a Ranger that wants a custom tonneau, give me a shout.

Cheers,
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a) Design.jpg (245.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg b) Tonneau Front.JPG (138.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg c) Tonneau Rear.JPG (330.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg d) Tonneau Detail.JPG (258.7 KB, 21 views)
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Good grief...very, very impressive with a nice, clean look!
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #15

Yeah... the aesthetics kind of appealed to me too.

Thanks,
John
Old 02-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hi John

That looks pretty impressive, one question it looks like a tight fit is there any rubbing of the tonneau when turning?
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #17

Thanks.

Yes there is some contact between the pin-box corner and the cover, but only on the tightest turns, and not as much as you would think. There is no contact during normal travel.

It was considered in the design. The soft cover provides more than enough give, and thereby keeps the opening as small as practical.

The only wear issue was when I rolled the excess on top; as in the photos. Once I started leaving it hang inside, there were no more issues.

Cheers,
John
Old 03-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Good grief...very, very impressive with a nice, clean look!
Wished I had a Ranger! I'd be all over this... hummmm.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote