Tow 19' with v6 4Runner? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have towed our 19' and 21' for six years with the same generation 4Runner (a 2011) and did not add anything to it. No problem. Been to scads of states and several Canadian provinces but do not do mountains much. It is rated to tow 5,000 including steep grades. If you intend to tow steep grades much of the time, however, you might want something else.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We have towed our 19' and 21' for six years with the same generation 4Runner (a 2011) and did not add anything to it. No problem. Been to scads of states and several Canadian provinces but do not do mountains much. It is rated to tow 5,000 including steep grades. If you intend to tow steep grades much of the time, however, you might want something else.
Like anything else it is a compromise.
If you are towing a max loaded trailer all the time in mountains, maybe get a beefier tow vehicle.

If your DD also has to be your TV and only occasionally sees mountains, get something that just has a bit of cushion on paper for your chosen trailer, and run lean on cargo.

I have a paid off 2014 f150 v6 3.7, with similar HP and TQ specs to a 4runner, but the extra gear. Similar weight.
Looking at 19s, but don't always tow in the mountains (live in the prairies) Not my ideal tow vehicle, but can do the job, and is paid off, and does the DD stuff fine.

Most people have a budget. Regearing, adding tranny coolers, taking less stuff, and generally not being idiots goes a long way in making the DD the tow rig. Most people on this group seem to have common sense, and its great to see.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
https://www.facebook.com/thewoodwork...1806063953028/
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipspe View Post
Hi Bill. We have the same generation 4 runner as you and will be picking up a 19 in a few months. How is the transmission cooler working? And was it an easy install? Thanks for your time.

Chip
Hi Chip,

We now have 54,000 miles on our 2014 4Runner and 522 nights in our 2014 Escape 19, so a bit more experience than our earlier posts.

We have driven lots of mountains with the trailer. Transmission fluid temperature has been less than 190 degrees in the pan and less than 210 degrees in the torque converter. I am very glad I installed the ScanGauge, as I know when the transmission is unlocked and exactly how hot it is running. I can't prove that I needed that transmission cooler, but for less than $100, I'm glad I did it. Cooler fluid temperatures are always good and I don't want to worry about where we take the trailer. I plan to change the transmission fluid at 60,000 and will have a better idea then how it has held up.

The install was modest difficulty. I'm not a fan of zip-tie mounting, so I made frame-mount brackets for the cooler from steel bar stock and even painted them, so it looks almost factory. Removing a transmission line and adding the cooler in series wasn't difficult, but protecting the lines going through the radiator support took some engineering. I cut an aluminum plate and mounted 2 electrical conduit ends, so there is strain relief and no sharp edges. Near the transmission, the new line could rub in one section, so a section of larger hose fit around the line to absorb any wear. The cooler adds volume, so you need several quarts more transmission fluid. The fill procedure in the manual says to get the fluid to a certain temperature, so the ScanGauge was helpful for that.

FWIW, I just replaced the front and rear differential fluid at 54,000 miles after driving through some high water. The front looked as good as new and the back looked only slightly used, so I probably didn't need to do it just for towing.

Hope that helps.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #45

Trailer: 17 Escape
Thanks Bill. That helps a lot.

Cheers.

Chip
slipspe is offline   Reply With Quote