Tow Mirrors - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2019, 01:23 AM   #1

Trailer: Airstream Nest
Tow Mirrors

Am I the only one having hard time driving in free way with our rv at the back. It's also a little bit irritating to park and you can't see the back of the rv. Saw this camper beside us and had additional mirrors specifically for towing. Have a Ram 1500 and wondering if you guys would reccommed me to also add mirrors or can I install a camera at the back of the rv but it would be connected to my ram monitor?
towme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I use Milenco Grand Aero mirrors attached to my OEM mirrors.
This is from BC Motor Vehicle Act. Other provinces and states have similar requirements:
Where a trailer or semitrailer in a combination of vehicles diminishes the driver's reflected rear view through the rear view mirrors required by subsections (1) to (3), the towing vehicle in the combination of vehicles shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, one affixed to each side of the motor vehicle, and each to provide the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway from a point on the road surface 11 m ( 36 feet ) behind the driver to a point on the road surface 61 m ( 200 feet ) from the rear of the combination of vehicles.

Note that it says adjacent lanes, not the lane you are in ( directly behind the trailer ).
Attached Thumbnails
Milenco .jpg  
Old 09-10-2019, 02:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
As explained above, you don't really need to see directly behind you. As long as the tow vehicle is close to as wide as the trailer, the standard mirrors will show you everything on either side of the trailer. A Nest is only a few inches wider than a current Ram pickup, so the stock mirrors should be just adequate, but towing mirrors (the ones optional on the truck, aftermarket replacements, or add-ons) would give a better view.

If you're considering a switch to an Escape (this is the Escape Forum...) then the 17' is narrower than the Nest so the view would be better, the 19' is slightly wider, and the 21' is substantially wider again so longer mirrors would be appropriate.

My trailer is the width of an Escape 19', and the tow vehicle is a minivan which is the width of an older full-sized pickup; the stock mirrors are adequate, but bigger and wider mirrors would make things easier.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #4

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
camera

Get yourself a rear view camera( wireless) and you can see what's behind you
Usually the front monitor plugs into cig. lighter and the rear uses the 12 volt of the RV usually light circuit Good Luck Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I drive a lot on a two lane road and if I can’t see what’s behind me I don’t know if someone is trying to pass (or if there is a long line of cars). I don’t think the right hand mirror made much difference on a two lane road, though, maybe if merging back to the right on a freeway. Anyway, the Milenco Grand aero is great but my one on the right took flight over the 205 bridge in Portland so I only have one ont the left. I was surprised when I tried towing with the wider Ridgeline that I still needed a mirror. (Never did in my Campster as there was a view straight through the camper.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My one complaint about the Milenco Grand Aero mirrors was the driver's side was also a convex mirror. I managed to get a flat mirror from England (I couldn't find anyone that sold the flat version in the US). Cost almost as much to ship it as to buy it, but much better. It did show a bit more shake than the convex mirror, but a more standard view.

I now tow with a F 150 with Ford's tow mirrors. A great improvement - both large flat & small concave mirrors on both sides, as steady as a rock. The Grand Aero's will be on the blue tarp at the Niagara Wine Escape Rally...
Old 09-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #7

Trailer: Purchased Escape 5.0 TA Feb 13 2020
I found a site that has OEM replacement towing mirrors that allow existing electric controll of their mirrors...check it out and see if your tow vehicle is covered, I found them for my new GMC Canyon so maybe yours is available also)
the link is ::: https://clearviewmirrorsusa.com/towing-mirrors/
GeorgeDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by towme View Post
Am I the only one having hard time driving in free way with our rv at the back. It's also a little bit irritating to park and you can't see the back of the rv. Saw this camper beside us and had additional mirrors specifically for towing. Have a Ram 1500 and wondering if you guys would reccommed me to also add mirrors or can I install a camera at the back of the rv but it would be connected to my ram monitor?
I have these which were recommended on this forum and I like them. They are easy on, easy off, very stable and non damaging. I have an F150 but I should think that they would also have Ram mirrors, I bought mine on Amazon.

CIPA - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have the rear view camera. The rear view camera isn't the best for use as a rear view mirror because vehicles need to be very close behind to be visible, but it is great for switching lanes as you can see if you are beyond the front of the vehicle in either of the adjacent lanes.

I know many feel strongly different on this subject. I would suspect it varies on where and how you drive. Driving in heavy traffic is much easier when you can see what is behind you, adjacent to you and knowing you are clear of vehicles in the adjacent lane when changing lanes.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I drive a lot on a two lane road and if I can’t see what’s behind me I don’t know if someone is trying to pass (or if there is a long line of cars).
If there are curves, you see them at each curve; if there are no curves, you watch them pass, since straight roads are generally easy passing situations. But is certainly is easier to be able to see the lane behind you, at least enough of it to spot traffic, and at least back at the distance where traffic is likely following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I don’t think the right hand mirror made much difference on a two lane road, though, maybe if merging back to the right on a freeway.
... or when completing a pass. That might not seem like an issue if you never pass on a two-lane highway, but there are always slow-moving vehicles to consider. There's also the issue of ensuring that it is clear to turn right at intersections, without hitting bikes or pedestrians on that side, and checking for clearance to the curb.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #10

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
My one complaint about the Milenco Grand Aero mirrors was the driver's side was also a convex mirror. I managed to get a flat mirror from England (I couldn't find anyone that sold the flat version in the US). Cost almost as much to ship it as to buy it, but much better. It did show a bit more shake than the convex mirror, but a more standard view.
I see that you don't like convex mirrors, but I'm not trilled with the idea of clamping mirrors on that may easily fall off or be filched. Will these convex mirrors work?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
I see that you don't like convex mirrors, but I'm not trilled with the idea of clamping mirrors on that may easily fall off or be filched. Will these convex mirrors work?
I always added one to my vehicle's driver's side mirror, but with the F 150 Tow Mirrors, not necessary - it is built into the bottom of the mirror.

As to the Milenco mirrors, yes, they are easy to remove, but in over 100,000 miles towing with them they never "disappeared".
Old 09-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
...As to the Milenco mirrors, yes, they are easy to remove, but in over 100,000 miles towing with them they never "disappeared".
I also have the Milenco mirrors. Although I have not towed nearly as many miles as Jon with the mirrors, they have always stayed in place while driving with no worries about them falling off. I have on occasion removed them when I knew that I would not be towing again soon, as they do stick out and cause hazards to passing traffic (vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians) on narrow streets and can be a temptation for would be thieves.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I’ve been using the Milenco mirrors for 5+ years. I did have one “fly off.” I noticed one of the rubber gaskets was missing. I don’t know if it came off when it hit the road, or caused it to come off. I replaced the mirror and gasket and continue to use them.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
I have a 2015 RAM 1500 and I got the K Source 80710. I love the mirrors and leave them on all the time. Now at least with the Escape and the RAM you can see fine without the mirrors but I like overkill.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #15
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Hi Ava, This small stick on convex mirror you ask about is primarily for your blind spot area (just behind the driver's seat) and if your trailer is wider than your TV, it will probably not help you see down the length of your trailer.

Before, I used the clamp on style mirrors with rubber straps but I did not have good luck with them; lots of vibration and one even blew off. (Your concerns are valid.) I now use the Milenco Grand Aero Mirrors (first heard about these on this forum, thanks guys!) ....wow, what a difference. Very little vibration since they screw on tight and they are very easy to put on and take off. Plus, you have full use of your regular TV mirrors. They are a little pricey but you get what you pay for!

As a point of reference the CA DMV handbook for RVs says: '...Make sure the mirrors are large enough and that they are positioned for vision at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle. .... Mount the mirrors as wide apart as possible for maximum rear vision and easy backing. Trailer towing mirrors should be adjusted so that the inside edge of the mirror is further out than the outside edge of the trailer. The RV or trailer’s rear wheels should be visible in the convex mirrors to check for correct tracking.' I assume other states are similar. - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi Ava, Before, I used the clamp on style mirrors with rubber straps but I did not have good luck with them; lots of vibration and one even blew off. (Your concerns are valid.) I now use the Milenco Grand Aero Mirrors (first heard about these on this forum, thanks guys!) ....wow, what a difference. Very little vibration since they screw on tight and they are very easy to put on and take off. Plus, you have full use of your regular TV mirrors. They are a little pricey but you get what you pay for! Bea
Okay, you guys and gals convinced me! Thanks for moving me along in the right direction!

So now … making sure this is the right set, as two with that name are listed on Amazon, though this one has a high rating and corresponding cost, so it's likely THE ONE:

https://smile.amazon.com/Dometic-DM-...gateway&sr=8-3

OR THIS?
https://smile.amazon.com/Milenco-Con...gateway&sr=8-4

PERHAPS THEY'RE ACTUALLY THE SAME MIRROR? OR ONE'S A KNOCK-OFF?

Again - many thanks!

Old 09-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #17

Looks the same, but I'd want to be sure that both left and right side mirrors are flat glass, not convex. The whole point of the mirror is to see far down the road and convex distorts the image.

I got mine from a firm in England. The shipping wasn't actually that bad and delivery was fairly quick.

As you can see from mine, I stuck a small convex mirror on the OEM mirror. It's not much use for anything.
I'm not keen on those tear-drop versions either.
Attached Thumbnails
Milenco .jpg  
Old 09-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Looks the same, but I'd want to be sure that both left and right side mirrors are flat glass, not convex. The whole point of the mirror is to see far down the road and convex distorts the image.

I got mine from a firm in England. The shipping wasn't actually that bad and delivery was fairly quick.

As you can see from mine, I stuck a small convex mirror on the OEM mirror. It's not much use for anything.
I'm not keen on those tear-drop versions either.
I'm happy to purchase from England as you and Jon did.
So... if anyone out there has purchased the side mirrors without convex and can provide the link, please do, thanks!

Old 09-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #19

Ava,
Go here: https://www.milenco.com/products/mir...-towing-mirror
I think I ordered from The Caravan Shop, but not positive.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm happy to purchase from England as you and Jon did.
So... if anyone out there has purchased the side mirrors without convex and can provide the link, please do, thanks!
Mine are one of each - flat on the driver's side & convex on the passenger side. Again, the convex shows less vibration because the image is smaller.

The Dometic mirrors are the same - Dometic bought out the US (and maybe Canadian) distribution of the Milenco mirrors. Unfortunately, they only sell the convex version. I talked with a Dometic rep but was not able to convince him that the flat version would sell.