Tow Vehicle - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
We've been pulling our 21 around with our 4.0L 5-speed AT Nissan Frontier and are very happy with the experience (we use an Anderson hitch). No sway. Highest mountain passes so far only 4500 ft, max 7% grades -- never slowed below 50 unless the road or traffic warranted it. We have no other need (or desire) for a full-size truck so for us, it was the right choice.

If we were going to do a lot of driving in the high Rockies, we might (but only might) want more power. I think we'd still choose the Frontier -- if we have to go slower uphill once in a while, we can enjoy the scenery a little more.

Good point above about GVWR and other ratings -- that is where we have to be careful. With two not-tiny humans and two medium dogs and their drive-time needs, plus tongue weight, we are close to GVWR. We limit what we carry in the truck bed to lightweight items, and we load Toto (the trailer) and his front storage box appropriately to manage tongue weight, and it all works fine. If I were driving solo I would have a generous cushion.

I like the suggestion to drive with your Taco and see how it goes. 19 or 21, either way, will surely be a hoot.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030302-001.JPG  
Old 05-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We tow an Escape 21 with a VW Touareg TDI. It has a 3.0L diesel engine with 8-speed automatic transmission; 240 hp and 406 lb-ft of torque. There are four of us in the vehicle, but little else, preferring to keep the weight in the trailer. Towing capacity is 3,500 kg (7,716 lbs).

We typically drive at or a hair above the speed limit (well, except in Utah, 85 mph towing a trailer didn't seem sensible, I kept it about 75 mph). We've never noticed any difficulties towing through mountains.

Rated fuel economy is 12 L/100km city and 8.1 L/100km highway (19/29 mpg) and I'd say this is pretty typical for us to achieve, even with my lead-footed tendencies. While towing, we've done as well as 13 L/100km (18 mpg) and as poor as 16 L/100km (14.7 mpg).

We're very happy with the performance of our tow vehicle and have no reason to consider a more capable unit. I imagine the EcoDiesel experience would be pretty much the same as our experience as the engines have very similar specifications.

With all of that said, I'm quite certain you're Tacoma is more than up for the task of towing an Escape quite capably. As others have suggested, start there and see how it goes.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
I suggest that you check the rear suspension of your Tacoma. Some models come with 3 leaf springs and others with 4 leafs (3 leafs and an overload leaf). If yours has 3 leaf springs, there is a Toyota TSB to have the 4 leaf package installed by the dealer.
I would also recommend that you install a transmission temp gauge (Scanguage or UltraGauge).
Old 05-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod View Post
We tow an Escape 21 with a VW Touareg TDI.

.....While towing, we've done as well as 13 L/100km (18 mpg) and as poor as 16 L/100km (14.7 mpg).
That is SUPERB towing mileage, especially considering your speed. I wouldn't change your TV either.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #25

Trailer: none
Thank you so much Mike... It's nice to know. I bought it, because my research indicated it would pull a 21' or less light weight trailer, but it's always nice to have that confirmed by people out there in the real world.. All of the specs said yes, just curious what others had to say.
clindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:35 PM   #26

Thanks for the feedback Tom and Linda..
Old 05-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #27

Thank you for the reply Bpjod... I appreciate you taking the time to respond..
Old 05-12-2015, 12:05 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Let me offer my thoughts on your tow vehicle. Our 4Runner is somewhat similar to your Toyota, and having towed through mountains of New Mexico and Colorado the last few days I have concluded the vehicle can do it, but you have to manage your expectations. On some of the steepest grades I have had to gear down to first gear a few times, both up and down hill. I also tend to hold speeds to 55. If you want something to blast up and down every hill you get to, a six cylinder gas engine isn't enough. I plan to try everything I get to, but with caution and patience---retired, you know.
Are you towing with a WDH? Just wondering.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Are you towing with a WDH? Just wondering.
Yes. I got an Andersen after two others towing 21s recommended it --especially one 21 owner with a 2014 4Runner tried it without and got one.
I removed my factory Weight Carrying Receiver for a more capable Weight Distributing Receiver that bolts to the frame rails.
Also added a Scangauge II to monitor trans temps, a trans cooler, and a Tekonsha brake controller.
All functioning well, so far. We've been over a few 9,000 foot passes, going for higher today near Silverton, Colorado.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #30

Tacoma towing bible https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...ng-bible.4031/

Larger Transmission cooler https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...am-pic.324202/

Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags for reducing bounce even with an Andersen hitch https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...7#post-9320901

Scangauge will monitor temps and such https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...ngauge.287255/

I tow a 19' with a 2011 4x4 Dbl Cab v6 Tacoma no worries going through short grade hills and such , I will do a better test to of hill towing in August of this year going to Maine. I use a Prodigy 2 brake controller and it all works well together.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Tacoma towing bible https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...ng-bible.4031/

Larger Transmission cooler https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...am-pic.324202/

Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags for reducing bounce even with an Andersen hitch https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...7#post-9320901

Scangauge will monitor temps and such https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...ngauge.287255/

I tow a 19' with a 2011 4x4 Dbl Cab v6 Tacoma no worries going through short grade hills and such , I will do a better test to of hill towing in August of this year going to Maine. I use a Prodigy 2 brake controller and it all works well together.

Cypher
Cypher thank you for the reply... Do you have the factory tow pkg on your Taco?

Would look forward to hearing how things continue to go...

Cary
Houston, Tx.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clindley View Post
Do you have the factory tow pkg on your Taco?

Would look forward to hearing how things continue to go...

Cary
Houston, Tx.
Cary,
This is the first time I can say this - because today is the conclusion of our first road trip with our brand new '21 and my 2014 Tacoma V6/manual transmission/tow pkg./off-road pkg.

So, after 1600 miles from Chilliwack (ETI world headquarters) to Denver, CO, the quick conclusion is: No safety concerns arose, managed at least 55 MPH on any Interstate uphill, averaged about 65 MPH on the flats, got about 12.5 MPG, +/- 1.5 depending on headwinds and grade.

Personal opinion - the manual transmission was a blessing.

Next big test - Georgetown hill - 7% grade - at 10000'. (More or less, going from hazy recollections.)
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #33

Yes factory tow package and the Tsb add a leaf for the 2011's and mine is an automatic.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Cary,
This is the first time I can say this - because today is the conclusion of our first road trip with our brand new '21 and my 2014 Tacoma V6/manual transmission/tow pkg./off-road pkg.

So, after 1600 miles from Chilliwack (ETI world headquarters) to Denver, CO, the quick conclusion is: No safety concerns arose, managed at least 55 MPH on any Interstate uphill, averaged about 65 MPH on the flats, got about 12.5 MPG, +/- 1.5 depending on headwinds and grade.

Personal opinion - the manual transmission was a blessing.

Next big test - Georgetown hill - 7% grade - at 10000'. (More or less, going from hazy recollections.)
Thank you so much Alan.. I have an automatic transmission, but can still use the manual portion of gears that it offers.. I really appreciate the input.. I may still go with the 19' but would love the 21'. I plan to live in it full time for about 5 yrs, as I travel the US. I plan to sell my home, and hit the road in the next couple of years... The Escape travel trailer is the best thing I have seen out there for what I want to do.. If you have time, send some pics or post them online. Thank you so much for all the help... Cary
Old 06-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
cubic inches & hp

The new small cube motors do develop more HP with superchargers or turbos but lack the advantage of the big blocks. That is larger crank and rod bearings to carry the load. For a specific trailer weight the load will be applied to less bearing surface in a small block than in a big block. Less load per cubic inch will probably give you longer engine life. The big blocks usually get a stronger transmission from the manufacture too. For myself, I would rather work a big motor easy than a small one hard.
bailiej757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
James,
That is/was my thinking exactly when I decided to replace my v-8 Hemi with another one versus a smaller v-6 turbo model. With the newer transmission and rear end gearing I was able to almost match the mpg number of the smaller turbo diesel.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:26 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
This spring I was also comparing rear ends with my friend's Chevy Silverado. He has the 3.42 rear end and turns 250 rpm less than I do with my 3.73. This is at 70 mph. As for gears, towing, and speed, I'm just going to have to play with it and find that sweet spot. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The lower gearing reduces your total towing capability, which is a moot point with an Escape, but also gives somewhat better efficiency.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #39

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The lower gearing reduces your total towing capability, which is a moot point with an Escape, but also gives somewhat better efficiency.
If i can get 15mpg cdn towing the 5.0ta at 60 mph then i will be happy.
towed the old 5.0sa with 3.42 and 5.3l with 6spd but only towed in5th gear with 6th gear locked out and always got 16 to 18 mpg cdn.
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote