tow vehicle for 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #1

Trailer: none
tow vehicle for 19

I am looking for a tow vehicle for a 2019 19 foot trailer and was wondering if anyone had experience with a Ford Explorer (6 cylinder, 2017 or newer) or a Honda Pilot (6 cylinder, 2016 or newer).
Thank you, Peter
PeterRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
With any newer vehicle (and I suspect anything from model 2016 forward qualifies), you need to look at not only the model/engine configuration, but also the trim level and drivetrain specifications of the particular vehicle you are considering. One of the ways manufacturers are attaining the current high mpg ratings is by tuning drivetrains for mileage, not towing capacity. All Ford Explorers, for example, were never created equal, but nowadays they are a lot more unequal than they used to be. BTW, this also means that if you get the towing package with the right drive train and take the higher torque, you pr'ly won't get the advertised mileage.

Life is a matter of trade-offs. There's no free lunch. Etc. Etc.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
If your west of Denver, I would suggest a full size pickup. As you go up in elevation you lose a bit of horse power. I towed my 17b with a 4Runner V6 across the Rockies in Colorado and I had to hold it to the floor for a bit to make it up to the Eisenhower tunnel at about 8500'.

East of Denver, the Explorer or Passport should do fine.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
...........across the Rockies in Colorado and I had to hold it to the floor for a bit to make it up to the Eisenhower tunnel..................

Ah, the ol' "Ike test"!!! (It's at over 11,000 ft.)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Ah, the ol' "Ike test"!!! (It's at over 11,000 ft.)
Eisenhower is 11,000’? I didn’t realize it was that high. I had it to the floor in third. On the way back from Los Angeles we went over the top, Loveland Pass, I held it in second at 3500rpm, watching my ScanGauge2 trans temp going back and forth on the switchbacks.

I had to stop on 3 occasions on the cross country trip to let the trans cool. The 4Runner did really well but I’ll be buying a truck before I do that again. I’m waiting to see how these small diesels do.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:17 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I've driven a 2015 Highlander up Eisenhower pass with a 19' and it was definitely down on power. But, if you've got the patience to sit in the right lane with semis at high altitude it's fine. Closer to the coast like the Sierra Nevadas, it's fine. A bit higher RPM required, but it isn't an old iron pushrod motor and 3-4K RPM won't do it any harm.

I think the Pilot's got a bit better transmission (available 9-speed) and a hair more power, but it's probably pretty similar. The tow rating's also based on the SAE-J2807 standard, so it should have enough cooling for extended steep uphill grades.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 19
It is important to consider the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle. The trailer hitch weight, a generator, truck bed cap, a few tools, a bicycle and 2 mid weight passengers will max out a lot of smaller vehicles.

Graham
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
On many many roads regardless of whether you’re towing or not, slower traffic in either lane is often a fact of life. I found this to be true in Canada and also in British Columbia, Alberta and in Ontario on major highways between Windsor and Toronto. And I mean slower than the posted limit which is lower than many US Highways. Retirement has given me a different perspective so i slow down and ejoy the ride or push it a little if a rare deadline is in the offing. The Highlander with the 21 on behind isn’t the speediest rig on the road but man, she’s good looking.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #9

Trailer: none
Thank you

I would like to thank everyone for the replies on what to tow a new 19' with. I will try the 2008 4 Runner and report back. I am not sure there is an easy way to get from BC to PA without crossing at least one mountain.
PeterRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:18 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
It’s the grades that’ll get you

I love the red roads for the slower pace and the scenery, but if you’re concerned about mountains on your initial tow home, the Interstates through the mountains generally give the best option for moderate grades, both up and down.
If you hit a road like 14Alternate in Wyoming, you’ll know what I mean. You can always get back off the interstates after the mountains and enjoy the backroads.
Good luck and gear it down on the downhills.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRV View Post
I would like to thank everyone for the replies on what to tow a new 19' with. I will try the 2008 4 Runner and report back. I am not sure there is an easy way to get from BC to PA without crossing at least one mountain.
One thing I highly suggest, make sure use a trans temp gauge or scanner and understand the operating temps of your oil. I used a ScanGauge2 on my cross country trip last year. I had to pull over 3 times to cool with the 4RUNNER.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #12

Trailer: ?
“One thing I highly suggest, make sure use a trans temp gauge or scanner and understand the operating temps of your oil.”

A topic I have been researching for my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We are setting out on a trip today that will take us over several mountain passes in the 8-10,000’ range. There is an idiot light that warms if the transmission temp. is too high. I asked Jeep what I thought was an easy question. At what temperature does that warning light come on? Interestingly enough, there was no straight answer. Here was their reply.

“Did some research and found there is no exact temperature the light can come at. There are 3 different temperature sensors the light is reading. It is a calculation that drives the light to come on. In some cases you may get a check engine light, other times you will get the temp light. All depends on several factors such as actual trans temp, coolant temp, ambient temp, vehicle load, etc.... Sorry I can't give you any better of an answer, but no where in our manuals does it state a single temperature that turns the light on.....“

Talked to a Jeep mechanic. He said to keep the temp at a max of 225*F and you should be just fine. Lower being better, but no more than 225 on the mountain grades.

The screen display on my JGC does show the coolant, oil and transmission temperatures so I will simply monitor the display on the long pulls and pull over if the transmission temp gets to 225.

Ed

The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle