tow vehicle for 21' trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Thanks Jon,
I’m going to roll it over a quarry scale if things go as planned this week and I’ll let you know what we have. Ours is a first generation, production number 006 by my research.i would note that when I had a dealer installed hitch put on the put a small secondary sticker on the door frame stating that the weight capacity should be adjusted by 17 lbs or something like that.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #22

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I thought he retired from trailer weighing a couple or three years ago. There are new models of the Escape now, slightly heavier.
I think the key adverb in your response is the word "slightly".
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
Currently have a 17b and am thinking of getting a 21. Pull with a 2016 Highlander Limited awd with tow package 5000/500.
Will this be okay for the 21 trailer?
Anybody pulling the 21 with a highlander? I know there are lots using it with a 19'.
Eric Thompson (THOER) has the 3rd Gen Highlander with 2nd Gen 21. Lives in Wisconsin. Look him up on members list and send him a PM. LeonW is a friend if his as well and has a 3rd Gen Highlander with 1st Gen 21.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Eric Thompson (THOER) has the 3rd Gen Highlander with 2nd Gen 21. Lives in Wisconsin. Look him up on members list and send him a PM. LeonW is a friend if his as well and has a 3rd Gen Highlander with 1st Gen 21.
I'll try not to stray to far afield. I was leaning toward buying a Highlander. Then I test drove a 4 Runner and bought one of them instead. There were 3 reasons why. 1. The 4 Runner has a body-on-frame build just like the Tacoma. The argument goes something like this: body-on-frame vehicles are better at off-roading and hauling. The body on frame makes them more resistant to twisting forces. 2. I liked layout of the cargo area in the 4 Runner compared to the Highlander. 3. With the Highlander you have to jump through a number or hoops in order to put together the semblance of a tow package. Whereas with the 4 Runner at least you have the Class 3 receiver. Also the 4 Runner has a Dual-Output 7/4-Way Connector already installed.

Okay that is it for the straying away from your question which is the same one I tortured people on this forum with several months ago. To be clear, I am not 'pitting' the Highlander against the 4 Runner. The Highlander has a much more comfortable ride and the interior is nicer.

For discussions on towing with a Highlander Al Bear's is very helpful. Iowa Dave weighs in too. Note: you may have to log in to "Fiberglass RV" to read the thread. That part I'm not sure about. "Civil Guy" in several PM's was very helpful as well. The point I'm trying to make is that I was after the same information you are seeking out.

Here's another thread by 'Parker' in Oct. 2018 on towing a 19' Escape to Newfoundland and back with a Highlander.

On the towing parts according to Toyota there is this to ponder. There are numerous after market alternatives that are less expensive...

Finally there is this thread ~ "Anyone towing a 19 with a 5th gen. 4Runner?" which is applicable to your concerns.

What I recently did thanks to the advice from various members on the Escape forum is install and auxiliary transmission cooler and a Scan Gauge 11.
Also have a Prodigy 2 brake controller ready to be tested out when I assume possession of the trailer May 21st.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
I'll try not to stray to far afield. I was leaning toward buying a Highlander. Then I test drove a 4 Runner and bought one of them instead. There were 3 reasons why. 1. The 4 Runner has a body-on-frame build just like the Tacoma. The argument goes something like this: body-on-frame vehicles are better at off-roading and hauling. The body on frame makes them more resistant to twisting forces. 2. I liked layout of the cargo area in the 4 Runner compared to the Highlander. 3. With the Highlander you have to jump through a number or hoops in order to put together the semblance of a tow package. Whereas with the 4 Runner at least you have the Class 3 receiver. Also the 4 Runner has a Dual-Output 7/4-Way Connector already installed.

Okay that is it for the straying away from your question which is the same one I tortured people on this forum with several months ago. To be clear, I am not 'pitting' the Highlander against the 4 Runner. The Highlander has a much more comfortable ride and the interior is nicer.

For discussions on towing with a Highlander Al Bear's is very helpful. Iowa Dave weighs in too. Note: you may have to log in to "Fiberglass RV" to read the thread. That part I'm not sure about. "Civil Guy" in several PM's was very helpful as well. The point I'm trying to make is that I was after the same information you are seeking out.

Here's another thread by 'Parker' in Oct. 2018 on towing a 19' Escape to Newfoundland and back with a Highlander.

On the towing parts according to Toyota there is this to ponder. There are numerous after market alternatives that are less expensive...

Finally there is this thread ~ "Anyone towing a 19 with a 5th gen. 4Runner?" which is applicable to your concerns.

What I recently did thanks to the advice from various members on the Escape forum is install and auxiliary transmission cooler and a Scan Gauge 11.
Also have a Prodigy 2 brake controller ready to be tested out when I assume possession of the trailer May 21st.
What information does the scan guage give you over the vehicle’s onboard computer ?
My vehicle’s built in EVIC shows oil temp , coolant temp , transmission temp , tire pressure , rpms , fuel mileage , etc. Just curious why an added piece of equipment is required ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Steve, if I recall, Toyota's set up is not as detailed as our Ram's are in re: oil, coolant and transmission temperature readings, thus the need for the scan gauge for details.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Steve, if I recall, Toyota's set up is not as detailed as our Ram's are in re: oil, coolant and transmission temperature readings, thus the need for the scan gauge for details.
Thanks Jim , I was under the impression that since all modern vehicles have an onboard computer that this information was available on all vehicle’s EVIC / dash display
I guess I made a wrong assumption . Makes sense now
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
What information does the scan guage give you over the vehicle’s onboard computer ?
My vehicle’s built in EVIC shows oil temp , coolant temp , transmission temp , tire pressure , rpms , fuel mileage , etc. Just curious why an added piece of equipment is required ?
Steve, the Scan Gauge 11 provides you with real time information with respect to all kinds of parameters. What I'm am interested in is the temperature of two transmission fluid sensors. The transmission is the weak link of vehicles like yours and mine. I want to know if my transmission is getting too hot as a result of some unusually steep ascent.

Dave Walter in post #36 in this thread has a very useful explanation about transmissions temperatures and the Scan Gauge 11.

Finally don't miss reading post #54 (and beyond) by "Great Eggstrications". (No better handle exists on this forum...). I also installed the Timbren bump-stop / helper springs as per his suggestion.

If you don't have time for anything else at least read post #54. It's a gem.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Thanks Jim , I was under the impression that since all modern vehicles have an onboard computer that this information was available on all vehicle’s EVIC / dash display
I guess I made a wrong assumption . Makes sense now
When you hook up the Scan Gauge 11 to the OB-11 port, you now have the ability to check for any and all trouble codes.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Sorry, I meant the new model trailer. I think the older model was lighter. I bought the 17b and have the newer model escape and it did weigh more than the previous 17b.
No problem. Yes, the second-generation Escape trailers (starting during 2016... both styles were made that year) are a bit heavier.

Quote:
I like my Highlander but am concerned about the trailer weight. It's rated for 5000/500 as is the new highlander. Mine has 6 speed not 8 like the newer ones.
The reference that I found listed the 8-speed for the 2016 model year, but perhaps it meant 2017 model year Highlanders (built starting in 2016). The more closely-spaced gear ratios of the 8-speed transmission would be preferable, as Dave explained... but we lived with 3-speed and 4-speed transmissions for many years.

Quote:
Is the longer wheel base better in the 2019?
It seems lots of folks have heavy loads on the hitch weight for the 21.
The longer wheelbase is for the 2020 model year, which will be available in late 2019... but not yet. Yes, longer wheelbase is better for stability for towing, and makes high hitch weight easier to handle (because it means less load transfer from the tow vehicle's front axle to rear axle). But this won't be a huge wheelbase change in the Highlander. Given just the available specs I would expect the 2020 Highlander to be preferable, which is only relevant to someone planning to buy a new vehicle in the future.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
New Trip, New Weigh in for my 2017 2nd Generation 21:
Axle 4200 pounds
Tongue 500 pounds
Trailer 4700 pounds

Truck & Trailer 10,640 pounds
Truck alone (with gear) 5940 pounds
Old 05-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Somebody went on a diet....vg Jon!
Old 05-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #33

Trailer: 2020 21C
Maybe I'll stick with the Highlander for pickup and see how it goes on the first trip. Pack light and I should be okay. Won't be able to fit too much in the highlander for our Mi to Chilliwack journey!
WDH would be needed, I use one with the 17b. Will see how much the 21 weights dry with my options, propane and fresh water.
nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I tow with a 2017 Toyota Tacoma shortbed 2X4 6 cyl don't know if that is equivalent. It has the 5000 towing cap.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post
I tow with a 2017 Toyota Tacoma shortbed 2X4 6 cyl don't know if that is equivalent. It has the 5000 towing cap.
Tacoma is a RWD truck with leaf springs, full frame, and a live axle.

Highlander is a FWD crossover based on a Camry platform.

not even remotely equivalent.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Nope , not equal at all, but far superior in ride, looks, comfort and ease of operation. In my thoroughly tested opinion.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #37
Site Team

yes, the Highlander makes a fine Mall Terrain vehicle.

I just got home last night from hauling my E21 about 800 miles round trip, including some seriously gnarly mountain roads in the south Sierra, and a side trip w/o the trailer of about 10 miles of steep washboard dirt switchbacks... was very happy to have my F250 diesel 4x4 with new all terrain tires.... Several times I had to slam on the brakes going downhill due to other driver stupidity... was real happy to have a tow vehicle that outweighed the trailer and had the brakes and chassis rigidity to handle this without any drama.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You should never have to slam on your brakes because of another driver. A moose leaping out of the ditch, yes, but not another vehicle.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #39
Site Team

one instance was a downhill narrow steep canyon road, driver coming up hill around blind turn is using the whole road. I was going maybe 20 MPH around that blind turn, and right off my edge of the pavement was 100's of feet of near vertical canyon (Nine-Mile Canyon off US395 in the east side of the south Sierra)

the other instance was someone changing lane without signalling directly in front of me when they were going maybe 40 and I was going 55. He got to hear how loud the horn on my F250 is from point blank. Was the freekin' middle of a sunny afternoon, my truck is bright white and chrome, and my headlights were on.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:20 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
F'n mooses. Meese.