Tow vehicle for Escape 19 - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #101

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
19 tow vehicle

I picked up my 2011 Jeep GC V-8 from the dealer this morning,$1300 lighter. I had the complete 60,000 mile service done, all liquids changed except radiator, 16 new spark plugs, fuel system cleaned with new filters, trans pan dropped to change oil and new filters, a new computer update and more. I had received an offer to trade in last week, $20,000 and I could have had a new one like mine, since I still have 40,000 miles on the chrysler extended warranty I went with the $1300 choice but in another two years or so I will have to look around and I might consider the diesel if I read good things about the engine and the new 8 speed trans. Let us know how it goes. As everyone knows I am happy with mine and when I can get up to 23 mpg at 70 to 75 when not towing and 15 to 16 towing it is hard to take a $17000 loss for 60,000 miles.
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #102

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Actually $44K for a limited with tow package = 3% below invoice.
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #103

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I toyed with the idea of "upgrading" my 2009 Ram 1500 Hemi to the newer Ram 3.0 diesel. I only have 14,000 miles on the Ram and it has a lifetime power train warranty. I get 12 mpg towing and 12 mpg not towing. The diesel should give me a 50% increase in efficiency to about 18 mpg towing. That said with an average of 5000 miles per year towing means a savings of 150 gallons of fuel @ approximately $4/gallon only $600 fuel savings. Cost to upgrade, about
$10,000 or 16 years of fuel cost. Even doubling that to 10,000 miles/year means a 8 year pay back.
I'm going to die with that truck….
Old 03-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #104

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Except the tow rating for the 6 cylinder Outbacks, at least the 05-09 models is 3000lbs. (Same model in Europe is rated more like 3600lbs) The 200lb hitch rating is for the factory option hitch. There are better hitches (that are cheaper too) with higher ratings for that model. Like the Reese I pointed to in an earlier post.
I'm a little late to this thread, but we owned a 2005 Outback, 6 cyl 3.0 liter engine. We pulled a 13' Scamp with it like it wasn't even there. Then we bought a 16' Casita and installed a nice Class III hitch. The 200 pound tongue weight was a concern. I thought I would be able to get the tongue weight down to that, knowing I'd be getting a little light for proper handling. I was doing all kinds of weight and balance calculations, just like for airplanes, starting with measured weights for an empty trailer and weighing every single item as I packed it and calculating moments. And then I pulled onto the scales. Modestly loaded for camping, I was exceeding the read axle limit of the car by 105 pounds. There was just no way I was going to be able to redistribute the weight of the rig and have a safe handling setup. The local dealer wouldn't even discuss weight distribution hitches, so I called the factory reps. They wouldn't go there either. We've been enjoying our Highlander ever since, and already had great tow vehicle ready when we ordered our Escape 19.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #105

Trailer: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
When we bought our 19 in 2010 we felt we needed more than our Honda Ridgeline, did not want to go back to the full size pickup so we went with the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Dodge hemi engine. We now tow the 21 with it and could not be more satisfied. It is not complicated in the drivers seat as the BMW and a lot cheaper than the Porsche or Mercedes SUV even though it has the under carriage designed by Mercedes when they owned Chrysler/jeep. We have the nice ride, short turn radius, and all of the power and good gas mileage. After 60,000 miles, half towing, the upkeep has been minimal although a 30,000 mile spark plug change cost $260 at the dealer because of 16 plugs and a couple of hours work. I'm getting too old to reach over a fender to do that work. This is my first Jeep and I may replace it with another when the time comes. Mine is a 2011 model and the new ones probably are a little different even though they look the same.
Jack
Are you using any kind of equalizer hitch with your JGC + Escape 21 combo?
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #106

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
towing a 21

I'm using the Anderson WDH for the jeep GC. The allowable tongue weight is ok but the sway or bumps are taken much better with the hitch. I've been known to get out and make a change on the tension during a tow due to weight or wind and I "think" it makes a difference.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #107

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Although it is not needed, I like to tow with the Andersen and my truck, particularly on longer out of state trips, for the reasons mentioned. With the FJ it is definitely needed.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #108

Trailer: None yet
Thanks for the feedback guys - I also intend to get the Anderson.
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #109

Trailer: Escape 19
We have a 19 purchased last year. We have been towing it with a 2006 V6 Rav 4 sport with towing package. On the flat it tows well but on long steep hills even at 3-3500 RPM slows down to 60KPH. We could live with that as we are not in a big hurry. The worrisome part is that the front end of the Rav seems light when towing as if the trailer is lifting it off the road a bit. I still have steerage but it does move around on the road more than it does when we are not towing.

We are considering upgrading to the Tacoma V6 or new highlander. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #110

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Hi Doug
Since my original post I have been doing more research for a tow vehicle for an Escape 19. We wish an SUV and Consumer Reports recommends the Hyundai Santa Fe XL, the Toyota Highlander, and the Mercedes ML350. They all have a towing capacity of 5000 lbs or higher. I suspect we may replace our 10 year old Highlander with another. It is more car than we need but it will be reliable and up to the task. The new 2015 Honda Pilot arrives this fall and it too could be an excellent candidate for us. If a pickup was an option for us, I would go with the Tacoma V6.
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #111

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWooll View Post
We have a 19 purchased last year. We have been towing it with a 2006 V6 Rav 4 sport with towing package. On the flat it tows well but on long steep hills even at 3-3500 RPM slows down to 60KPH.
I'll say this again...
At less than 3500 RPM the engine isn't even up to the speed it needs to produce peak torque, and far short of the speed where it can get close to peak power. Of course it doesn't perform well at that speed.

Quote:
The worrisome part is that the front end of the Rav seems light when towing as if the trailer is lifting it off the road a bit. I still have steerage but it does move around on the road more than it does when we are not towing.
Yes, the load on the front tires is reduced by a few percent due to the leverage effect of the trailer tongue weight on the hitch. Probably more significant to the handling of the tug is the effect of the trailer shoving the lever on the back of the tug (the hitch, which sticks out behind the rear axle by at least 40% of the wheelbase) side to side.

Quote:
We are considering upgrading to the Tacoma V6 or new highlander. Any comments would be appreciated.
The only V6 engine offered in the RAV4 was the 2GR-FE. The same engine is the current (and most powerful to date) V6 engine offered in the Highlander. This engine has more than enough available power, but the heavier Highlander with the same engine will not be any faster if the engine is still not allowed to reach an effective speed. The Tacoma has a somewhat larger engine of the same family (1GR-FE), but will still not be enough if not allowed to work.

The Highlander's somewhat longer wheelbase - and the Tacoma's substantially longer wheelbase - would help with control of the trailer (and reduce front axle load reduction), compared to the RAV4. Both Highlander and Tacoma can handle more hitch weight, which would be good because an Escape 21' would push (or exceed?) the hitch weight limit of a RAV4.

There was an extended discussion in this forum comparing towing with the Tacoma to towing with a Toyota SUV: Towing an Escape 21: 4Runner or Tacoma?. Much of that discussion would apply to a comparison of the Highlander and Tacoma.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #112

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
We have a 19 purchased last year. We have been towing it with a 2006 V6 Rav 4 sport with towing package.
Are you using a WDHitch?
Personally, I'd be happier towing a 19' with a Highlander. You are probably very close to, if not over the tow rating for the RAV4.
What is your tongue weight?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #113
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Tacoma V6 4dr 4x4 long bed has a 6400 lb rating, tows a trailer 450 pounds dry weight heavier than an Escape 21 with no problem. So we're ordering a 21!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #114

Trailer: Escape 19
Thanks so much for your help!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #115

Trailer: none
I'm looking at fifth wheel hitches. anyone have a super fifth wheel hitch?
I read they are easy to take out when you need your truck?
RV BF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #116

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV BF View Post
I'm looking at fifth wheel hitches. anyone have a super fifth wheel hitch?
I read they are easy to take out when you need your truck?
Hi: RV BF... Here's a link to our Husky Hitch Husky Towing Ours is the slider which has been redesigned. Depends a lot on your tug. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1020904.jpg   P1020905.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #117

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV BF View Post
anyone have a super fifth wheel hitch?
By "super fifth wheel hitch" do you mean specifically the Super 5th or SuperGlide models of hitch from PullRite?

As far as I can tell, all of PullRite's fifth-wheel hitches mount by the most basic and common pinned-to-rails method, the same as basic hitches from Reese, Husky, and others.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote