Tow vehicle for Escape 19 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #31

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
I hear ya. I don't want to be unsafe, but a truck/SUV I will loath driving any time I'm not towing with it. Would be more a dedicated TV.

Is a 10yo Outback simply not ideal? Or just plain unsafe?! I guess that's my question. Similarly, more or less unsafe than the small car and 13 footer I have now? It's far from ideal, but I have towed 4 thousand + miles so far without incident. But I do religiously drive under limits, avoid poor weather/visibility, have to be very intentional about packing, never take my eyes off the road save for quick glances of the instruments, etc. So whatever I get I want to have more safety margin than I have now.

dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
The limiting factor on an Outback is the hitch weight - you're only allowed 200 pounds.
My 17b never weighed in below 320.

I see Glen beat me to it.
Loading up a Subie like that would probably tear it up.

paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #33

I've modified my Scamp to bring the TW down. Have a tiny propane tank and at times have put the tongue battery in the TV, have a second (yes agm) under the sink. Could probably look at doing that. I need to see a 17b. That might be big enough for me.

I'd love talk to anyone who has actually towed an Escape (larger than a 15) with a Legacy.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Lot of discussion of Subaru and Escapes on this thread:Subaru Outback and Escape 15

I was thinking Elizabeth and Dan were towing their 17B with a Subaru as I remember all the discussion, but now I remember that they ended up with a Rav4 with the V6. So I don't know any folks towing a 17 with a Subaru to amend my earlier statement...... CRS again...

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We bought a 2013 Outback Legacy but when I asked the dealer fellas about towing they clearly had no clue. Evasive, puzzled, vague, take your pick. To me that speaks loud.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #36

Very good link! Thanks!

Sounds like if it is to be done a better than factory hitch, probably with stabilizer/weight distribution is a wise option.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
We bought a 2013 Outback Legacy but when I asked the dealer fellas about towing they clearly had no clue. Evasive, puzzled, vague, take your pick. To me that speaks loud.
I don't trust dealers to know ANYTHING other than how to sell a car. Them not knowing, means little to me either way.

Do you tow with your '13 Outback? If so, what have your experiences been?
Old 03-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Love our Subie, think it is an excellent vehicle but we have a 19 and no way I would ever tow with it. I tow with a '96 Tahoe, 5.6L V-8 which I bought 3-4 years ago.

I suppose you could use a Subaru for towing a 15 or even a 17 but I'm guessing in the end towing will seriously shorten the Subie's life. That would be bad.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #39

If the weights are under tow rating and I don't abuse it, I don't see why it would shorten the car's life to the point that it's not worth doing. Granted you are putting a LOT more stress on the drivetrain than not towing at all. I understand suspension bushings, transmissions, etc do take plenty of extra stresses and would expect them to ware faster, but these cars go hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles when not towing before reaching their practical end of life.

My main concern by far is making sure my rig is stable, controllable and nothing is going to catastrophically fail while underway. If I need a new transmission some time down the line? That's the price I expect to pay for towing around rated capacity.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
You are trying to convince yourself.
You are not convincing anybody else.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote