Tow Vehicle for Escape 19 and Escape 17 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just told my Toyota dealer that I wanted a class 3 hitch receiver installed, along with the brake controller that I provided and that I wanted 10 gauge wire used.

The work was done at the dealership by an aftermarket installer and cost less than the factory hitch receiver alone.

They wanted to sell a car.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #22

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Since it's just the two of us and our 50lb dog, we don't really need 8 seats, so the Passport certainly appeals in that it's just a 5 seater.
Since you are checking into Honda Passports, I suggest you look at the Honda Ridgeline too while you're at it.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
And the Volkswagen Atlas plus Subaru Ascent are now in the mix, the Volks has a nice long warranty and looks interesting.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
And the Volkswagen Atlas plus Subaru Ascent are now in the mix, the Volks has a nice long warranty and looks interesting.
Subaru is breaking my heart. I am on my 4th Subaru. I've been driving them all my adult life. Collectively, my family has 7 (including my 4). But I spent some quality time reading the owners manual for the Ascent and I think for the 19 (which we've committed to), the CVT is not the right fit, given our regional terrain, etc. There are some caveats written into the manual that feel too limiting. If you compare the language in the 2019 Ascent manual and the 2019 Highlander manual, it's pretty clear that the Ascent is more reserved in its enthusiasm for towing.

I'm not saying that the Ascent can't or shouldn't be used for towing. Not at all. But we are naturally inclined towards fretting, worrying and parsing the fine print. So, despite the 5000lb rating on the Ascent, it has fallen behind the Highlander and Passport in the running for the Most Awesomest Escape 19 Towing Machine. But I haven't read the Passport manual yet. That will be tonight's bedtime story. I couldn't find a sleepy emoji, so imagine one inserted here.
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #25

Trailer: ?
May be helpful.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...test/?pagestop

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...2019/overview/

Ed

You can’t go wrong with either the Passport or Highlander
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Just completed a round trip coast to coast with my E19 and my Toyota Tacoma Limited. 8600 mile. Everything went well. Enough power to make Shasta and other elevations 4500-5000’. Storage in the truck was very nice extender for the E19. Highly recommend addition of the e2 anti sway system.
sequimteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 2018
passport vs highlander

I spent many hours looking at the passport and highlander as our family TV. Passport was in the lead as we do not need the 3rd row of seats. But then we went to the dealers in BC and found the pricing was crazy. Even the dealer admitted they are premium pricing what is the same vehicle as the pilot that has a $4k discount. So highlander won. And in fact we ended up going with a used 2015 highlander XLE (there is a highlander redesign coming in 2020 model year).
rhoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 17ft
2006 sienna and 17 ft

we tow a 2015 17ft with a 2006 sienna van (3.3L engine).
Pulls like a dream and even handles moderate upgrades without loosing to much speed. Going down the I5 etc it was easy to get going to fast. Holds 70 mph. Newer sienna vans have bigger engines and more hp.
If I were doing it again and had we known the van could handle it, we would have gone with the 19ft. We might still upgrade one of these days.
WWHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #29

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Towing our 17B with a 2011 4Runner, in the western mountains. Likely wouldn't change TV if we had a 19.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #30
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
All, we're shopping the Escape 17 and 19. What do you use to tow your 17 or 19 and how do you feel about it? Thanks!
I pull a 19 with a 2007 Tacoma TRD Off Road and an E2 hitch. It works great very stable and capable in all situations. It is not the best at everything but I own it and I feel very safe with the setup. It is our primary vehicle so it must also be capable when not towing. Gas prices in my area are the highest in North America ($1.70/liter CDN or $5.00/gallon US). so fuel mileage when towing and not towing gets a heavier weighting than other factors.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 17b Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Matthews View Post
Hi.
I used a Ford Escape 6 cyl. to tow a packed 17B. Towed it well overall with a bit of lugging on steep inclines.
We have a Ford Escape too. Pros: Better milage about 14 Miles per gallon.
Con: Small gas tank, need to fill up about every 300 miles, going uphill is no problem, unless you are in Nevada and the temperature hit 100 F + then the engine overheats. You have to stop many times just to make it uphill. Otherwise we are happy with it.
Clack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Merry, "naturally inclined toward fretting" would push me away from a first year new model. Honda has a great reputation, but second year would give me a lot more confidence.

That 7 pin wiring would really be a plus. Can you find out what gauge wiring they used? When my 7 pin was installed at the place near escape, i specified a beefier wiring.

Sorry subaru is not making the grade for you...I understand brand loyalty. I'm on my 8th toyota, my third Highlander. All three highlanders have been a towing dream.

Good luck on making your decision.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #33

I tow my 2006 Escape 17B with a yellow Jeep Wrangler

It is my first Escape trailer and my third yellow Jeep. My present one is a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited with a stick shift, and it tows really well, if not really fast. My little trailer has over 250,000 miles on it and has been to the four corners of the continent-- Inuvik, Baja, Labrador, and Key West.
rb5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #34

Trailer: 2007 17B
The 2018 "Taco " Tacoma I have is prewired for towing and and tow rating to 6800. So, I know it would handle a 17 ' or 19 ' Escape. However I do not own an Escape yet- still planning .
Dmmsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Tow Vehicle for Escape 19

Quote:
All, we're shopping the Escape 17 and 19. What do you use to tow your 17 or 19 and how do you feel about it? Thanks!
There are probably dozens of vehicles that can safely tow an Escape 19 ft trailer. That said, here's some information about a fairly new one . . .

My wife works for the government. She drives her 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab pickup, V8 engine, eight speed transmission, for business. She hauls fairly light, but somewhat bulky, equipment (high tech surveillance and computer equipment) in her Ram on a regular basis, when she's on government business, for which she's paid on a mileage basis. So she has me keep meticulous records regarding the cost of her Ram. I divide it between business and personal use.

When we can, we use her truck to tow our 19ft Escape trailer somewhere to camp, or from here in Washington state to visit her folks in Arizona.

Here's what I can tell you about the cost of her current Ram to date . . .

Total miles: 93,166 miles
Overall miles per gallon: 16.4
Miles per gallon when towing our 19ft Escape: 13.4
Direct operating cost (fuel, oil, scheduled maintenance, etc): $0.22 per mile
Total operating cost (direct plus amortization [which includes upgrades such as canopy, mods for her business use, etc.], insurance, etc. with amortization based on KBB residual value over 10 years - about 200,000 miles per year - for accounting purposes.): $0.61 per mile

This is our fourth Dodge Ram. We've always had them serviced at our local Dodge dealer using genuine Mopar parts (in three states now). Yes, we probably pay a bit more by doing that, I suppose, but all the work on those trucks has been exceptionally reliable. And in case there was an issue with either the parts, or work, it would be covered by a Dodge warranty no matter where in the U.S. we needed repairs.

I hope that helps.
mgfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
even through the briars and the brambles where a rabbit wouldn't go.
Thanks Johnny H
Old 04-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #37

Trailer: 2006 17' Escape Trailer
I’ve towed my 17B with a Honda Pilot for a decade. Two different models, with tow pkg. Runs like a dream. Hard to tell I’m even pulling anything. I go into the Rockies all the time and even on the Coquihalla there was no issue. Only a minor reduction in gas mileage. Love my Pilot!
north59lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #38

Towing a 17B

We have a Toyota Tacoma 4WD Access Cab, V6, with a towing package (supposedly good to 6500 pounds, includes an oil cooler, larger battery, etc). We don't use a sway bar but did add a rear suspension airbag setup to prevent the headlights from becoming searchlights with a 375 pound tongue weight. Wouldn't change a thing; we don't zoom uphill on those long mountain climbs but probably get better mileage than bigger rigs.
tiercel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:44 AM   #39
Omi

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
I don't know about the 19 but we bought a 2019 Subaru Ascent to tow our 17B. Seems to do the job just fine. We averaged 18mpg towing and touched on 30mpg not towing.

Omi
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #40

Trailer: 1980 Boler
Hi; we use a 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD which works great . I added a 1 foot extension welded onto the tongue, so I can use a 'anti-raddle' screw bolt instead of a hitch pin. Then is no 'play' in the hook-up.
Rpcart87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape 17, escape 19, tow vehicle