Tow Vehicle for Escape 19 and Escape 17 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
I don't know about the 19 but we bought a 2019 Subaru Ascent to tow our 17B. Seems to do the job just fine. We averaged 18mpg towing and touched on 30mpg not towing.

Omi
That is awesome.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 19'
Hi, that is encouraging. Mine is a 2013 Tacoma. I pick up my 19 in Chilliwack in June. I was wondering if the tailgate can be lowered all the way when it is still hitched?
Timbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
I don't know about the 19 but we bought a 2019 Subaru Ascent to tow our 17B. Seems to do the job just fine. We averaged 18mpg towing and touched on 30mpg not towing.

Omi
That is impressive towing mileage. How fast? Any hills? An earlier post mentioned the CVT is problematic for towing on hills. Your thoughts?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo1 View Post
Hi, that is encouraging. Mine is a 2013 Tacoma. I pick up my 19 in Chilliwack in June. I was wondering if the tailgate can be lowered all the way when it is still hitched?
my 2008 tacoma 4x4 TRD OffRoadd, with a 2" drop towbar, the tailgate could be fully opened when hitched on my E21.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 ft
I had a 2005 Tacoma with the E2 Fastway hitch and had no problem opening the tailgate while connected to my 2017 Escape 19.
RTRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:50 AM   #46

Trailer: 2019 19'
Thanks for the tailgate feedback. I was going to order a Jack-e-up but it sounds as if that will not be necessary.
Timbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:46 PM   #47

Trailer: 2020 19' model
Is there a hybrid or EV that is capable of hauling the 19' Escape?
jamason1113@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:25 PM   #48
Site Team

a highlander hybrid can tow 3500 lbs *max* which in my book means under 2000 lbs safely.

a 19' weighs about twice that loaded for a trip.

a tesla X with the max range options and 20" wheels can supposedly tow 5000 lbs, which gives you some safety margin at 4000 lbs, but there's no mention of what this does for your range. I expect the range per charge would be cut in half, maybe worse considering the frontal cross section of an Escape.... and fergit it if you need to go up any grades. I just skimmed a forum where model X drivers are talking about 100-130 mile total range while towing a boat on level ground. Most of my road trips with my escape out west here, we've gone 300-700 miles the first day to get where we're going, and there just aren't that many superchargers in the deeply rural areas we're heading to
Old 03-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
The new Ford Explorer hybrid, properly equipped has a 5,000 pound tow rating.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #50

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
a highlander hybrid can tow 3500 lbs *max* which in my book means under 2000 lbs safely.
What do you mean by "safely"? The Highlander and Highlander Hybrid are identical in dimensions, structure, suspension, and brakes, so they can control exactly the same trailer mass. The lower rating of the Hybrid is based on cooling capacity of the hybrid transmission components (the motor/generators and electronics), so a lower trailer mass is "safe" for the vehicle mechanically... but it can handle 3500 pounds of trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #51

Quote:
a tesla X with the max range options and 20" wheels can supposedly tow 5000 lbs, which gives you some safety margin at 4000 lbs, but there's no mention of what this does for your range. I expect the range per charge would be cut in half, maybe worse considering the frontal cross section of an Escape.... and fergit it if you need to go up any grades.
I agree with the general range reduction (due to massively increased aerodynamic and rolling drag), but performance up grades should be a non-issue (due to available power), and range may not be as severely affected as you expect, due to regenerative braking on descents (assuming what goes up eventually goes down).

Still, EV towing of a reasonably sized travel trailer is a losing proposition in most cases.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:09 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
The new Ford Explorer hybrid, properly equipped has a 5,000 pound tow rating.
And the Lincoln Aviator is the same vehicle, offering a similar hybrid towing choice.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
What do you mean by "safely"? The Highlander and Highlander Hybrid are identical in dimensions, structure, suspension, and brakes, so they can control exactly the same trailer mass. The lower rating of the Hybrid is based on cooling capacity of the hybrid transmission components (the motor/generators and electronics), so a lower trailer mass is "safe" for the vehicle mechanically... but it can handle 3500 pounds of trailer.
frankly, I wouldn't tow anything bigger than a rowboat with a FWD predominant crossover SUV. Those things are for picking the kids up from soccer practice and Costco runs.

In my many decades of towing trailers long distances, I've had two towing related incidents which could have ended very very badly if I'd had a lighter tow vehicle.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:46 PM   #54

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
One tiny malfunction in the brake wiring and a 19 is going to push you right through that red light. at the semi.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:47 PM   #55

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
TFL car

The Fast Lane Car has some interesting videos on EV's in general and while towing.

yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:14 AM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
frankly, I wouldn't tow anything bigger than a rowboat with a FWD predominant crossover SUV. Those things are for picking the kids up from soccer practice and Costco runs..
We are taking our grandkids out today for a ride and then to get ice cream cones in my Wife’s FWD SUV . Her SUV works remarkably well when used for it’s intended purpose , like grocery shopping or running small errands.
It has a factory receiver hitch but I think it’s there more for looks , sorta like a hood ornament .
It looks nice but in reality serves no useful purpose
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #57

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We are taking our grandkids out today for a ride and then to get ice cream cones in my Wife’s FWD SUV . Her SUV works remarkably well when used for it’s intended purpose , like grocery shopping or running small errands.
It has a factory receiver hitch but I think it’s there more for looks , sorta like a hood ornament .
It looks nice but in reality serves no useful purpose
Years ago, in late 50's, early 60's, hood ornaments were your handles to raise or lower the hood, which were very large back then...
Old 03-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 19’
We pull our 19 with a 2016 4WD Nissan Frontier King Cab with an Andersen WDH. Just returned from a 3000 mile trip up and down the left coast on hiway 101. Our 19 followed along very nicely. We averaged between 13 and 14 MPG while driving the speed limits. Very happy with the combo.
Sailingmiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #59

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
No it just holds the truck and trailer at a constant speed, so there is no need to use the brakes. Anytime we go anywhere from our home in central Idaho, we have to contend with some seriously long and steep mountain grades, including an infamous one that's 8 miles in length and 7-8% grade. The exhaust brake holds the truck and trailer at a constant 55 mph the whole way down. I was amazed the first time. This grade is a serious test for any tow vehicle, and the Colorado passed with flying colors. I usually keep it around 50 mph going up though, although it could go faster. I don't want to fry my transmission.

I’ve driven the Harpster grade and Whitebird hill a number of times. Once
with a 1964 International stock truck with a trailer of mules on behind. Our packer was in the front seat with me and he loved those mules. I remember him saying “better stick her I that next hole down Davey, I believe we’re starting to cannonball a bit.” 5 speed transmission with two speed rear end. It’s all in the timing. I felt like Goofy in the Mickey Mouse cartoon when Goofy said “I brought you down safe and sound as we rolled into Kooskia. Towed a lot of miles since the summer of 1969 but was never more serious about attention to detail than that evening. A real experience by:
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’ve driven the Harpster grade and Whitebird hill a number of times. Once
with a 1964 International stock truck with a trailer of mules on behind. Our packer was in the front seat with me and he loved those mules. I remember him saying “better stick her I that next hole down Davey, I believe we’re starting to cannonball a bit.” 5 speed transmission with two speed rear end. It’s all in the timing. I felt like Goofy in the Mickey Mouse cartoon when Goofy said “I brought you down safe and sound as we rolled into Kooskia. Towed a lot of miles since the summer of 1969 but was never more serious about attention to detail than that evening. A real experience by:
Iowa Dave
Ha, you know what I'm talking about! WB Hill is not your average mountain grade. The first time down with the truck and trailer was terrifying until I realized how well that exhaust brake worked. The first time up I worried too, except the truck didn't seem to be working very hard as long as I kept it under 60 mph. It doesn't usually drop a gear going up unloaded unless I goose it. Anywhere we go except south towards McCall we have to climb, then go downhill, then climb again. We'll see how the Colorado is holding up after a few years of that, I guess!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape 17, escape 19, tow vehicle