Tow Vehicle size and power. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And parking it.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk7580 View Post
lancenadine.............Yours is the first post that gives a different point of view. You make some very good points. Thanks much. It seems like every day I flip-flop back and forth between the two trucks.
One more take from me on this . I know the smaller trucks and vehicles can tow fine . I believe though the bigger trucks , weight wise and larger body is a better combination. Larger brakes , transmission , suspension , etc. can handle the towing , especially the Escape trailers without a strain . The weight of a full size truck in my opinion should be close to what you are pulling up and down a hill . The trucks today are getting a lot better mileage then they use to especially towing . A lot of people are more concerned about a smaller vehicle and gas . I think being safe and having enough power just in case you get in a unknown situation is most important to me . My truck is so big , my trailer only is 6 in on each side out farther . As for parking , never been a problem and you see really good sitting up high . I used to have a Toyota truck for 12 years . I like my larger truck a lot more . If I was to replace would go with a larger truck again . I guess we are all trying to help you with your decision , which will be your decision in the end . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
I hope to tow my 16 Escape 21 with my 02 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. It only has 130K miles on it and is in good shape. I have owned a 96 Dodge Ram with a 360 V8 and a 99 GMC with the then all new V8, both 1/2 tons. I got tired of constant shifting in cruise control pulling a trailer with 3 dirt bikes in the mountains of CO and NM so I got the Duramax with the Allison transmission. No more shifting or power issues. I have also towed dirt bikes in CO with a 1980 VW Vanagon (Puff the Tragic Wagon) so I am familiar with the dangers of towing with underpowered vehicle..

My advice is go large. If my Duramax doesn't work out or is just too old I will go with the Tundra with the big V8 (5.7 not the 4.6) since I am a big Toyota fan. Gas mileage stinks @13 but they are $7-10K cheaper than the new diesels than run on urea. Figure the $ difference between 13 and 19 mpg on an annual basis and go large and be safe. About $1200/yr @20K miles and 2.50/gal.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
...Larger brakes , transmission , suspension , etc. can handle the towing , especially the Escape trailers without a strain ....
Possibly less strain on the larger Tundra, however, Tacoma is sized to tow the full Escape line of trailers with minimal strain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
... I think being safe and having enough power just in case you get in a unknown situation is most important to me...Pat
This implies that Tundra is safer for towing than Tacoma; I don't know that there is any basis to suggest this is true.

Just wanted to point out that for the two vehicles being considered, it comes down mostly to personal preference and usage. Both trucks are well over qualified for towing an Escape 17. Some people just like bigger tow vehicles, even when the smaller vehicles may be perfectly suited for towing.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We drove a 17' Casita back from Rice, Tx with our 2002 Nissan Pathfinder, rated at 500 tongue weight. We traveled through New Mexico and Utah up and down various Rocky Mountain passes. No issues; however, a year later we bought a 2008 Toyota Sequoia with a 5.7 liter V8 and it is remarkable the comfort and sense of safety we now have driving mountain passes in Oregon and California. In January we will pick up our new 19' Escape.
Bob-o
Bend, Or
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Possibly less strain on the larger Tundra, however, Tacoma is sized to tow the full Escape line of trailers with minimal strain.

This implies that Tundra is safer for towing than Tacoma; I don't know that there is any basis to suggest this is true.

Just wanted to point out that for the two vehicles being considered, it comes down mostly to personal preference and usage. Both trucks are well over qualified for towing an Escape 17. Some people just like bigger tow vehicles, even when the smaller vehicles may be perfectly suited for towing.[/
If he is getting a 17 the Tacoma is fine . If he is getting 19 and up I would go with a full size truck . I remarked a full size truck weight and body size is more substantial to the trailer you are pulling . I believe that is a better way to go . I think the 17 is smaller in width then the larger trailers as well as weight . As I said I owned a Toyota , also a Nissan truck , many Fords . I just am more comfortable with a full size truck , but I have a 19 . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Not sure why some folks here seem to think the Tacoma is not comfortable or safe. I have ridden in a few, and they were very nice to ride in. I also don't understand the safety concern at all. Are Tacoma's more prone to get into accidents than the Tundra?

I did pull my 19 with my F-350 diesel some, especially towing through the mountains, and if just going straight to a camping location, with very little driving around otherwise. My fuel economy in the mountains was a bit better than towing with my Honda Pilot, however I would MUCH rather be driving my Pilot for comfort and ease of use. If going on a vacation where there would be lots of driving around without the trailer, the Pilot would definitely be the go too tow. The Tacoma is even more proficient than the Pilot.

If the Tacoma had a better payload capacity, and a longer box available, I would have considered one instead of the F150 I bought to tow the 5.0TA.

I would not hesitate for a moment to upgrade to a diesel if one was available for the vehicle I was buying, as sure they cost more initially, but the hold there value well for resale, and the engines last way longer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:07 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Went from towing 13 footers with a Dodge Dakota (which had slightly more capacity than the current Tacoma) to towing an Escape 15a with a full size Ram with the Hemi V8 this year. While the Dakota would have handled the 15a no problem it was getting long in the tooth and was time for a new tug. Dodge no longer makes the Dakota or I would have bought one of those. Looked at the Tacoma and Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon but quickly found I could get a much nicer equipped full size at the same price point of a mid size with all the discounts. The final deciding factor was I wanted a larger box since we like to haul our bikes and camping gear under a topper. With the new set up I can securely store 4 bikes and all our gear in the back, couldn't do that with the smaller truck.

Just got back from a two week, 4000km camping trip down and around Oregon and must say I absolutely LOVE the new combo. The biggest difference is after a full day of towing I feel fresher, less fatigued. The truck holds its speed better, holds the road better and has better visibility. The extra wide fold out towing mirrors are just awesome, no more wondering whats going on behind me. Hills the old combo pulled at 4000rpm are done at 3000rpm now. The most interesting thing I found is I get about the same fuel economy as the Dakota did... as long as I don't put my foot into it.

As others have said both trucks will work fine. My personal opinion now is that the full size will give you an easier and more enjoyable towing experience. It really just depends upon what else you want to do with the truck, because the full size are BIG!

If you can try and find a dealer with demos and some sort of small trailer to drag around I think that would help you make up you mind.

If I did it again the only difference would be getting the Eco-Diesel.
skogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Your experience is similar to ours. While we "can" tow our trailer with a smaller vehicle, we find that towing with power to spare means the vehicle doesn't work hard. We get great mileage, and like you, because the truck is larger and more comfortable, when we get to where we're going, we aren't worn out.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
we find that towing with power to spare means the vehicle doesn't work hard. We get great mileage, and like you, because the truck is larger and more comfortable, when we get to where we're going, we aren't worn out.
Except that it is larger and weighs more.
My little RAV4 has 269 hp, and has less work to do because it weighs less. Goes like stink.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We own a 2005 Tundra and tow an Escape 21. It is a breeze.! The 17 should tow fine behind a Tacoma. The only reason for you to go with a Tundra might be if you want to carry gear like a boat, canopy, generator etc. The Tacoma has significantly less load capacity.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
If one followed some of the logic here to its conclusion, I think we should be towing our Escape with semi trucks

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
If one followed some of the logic here to its conclusion, I think we should be towing our Escape with semi trucks
Well you could say "I don't even know it is back there" and actually be telling the truth...
Old 10-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
It's all a matter of risk tolerance and comfort levels... Arguably a full-sized truck is safer than a mid-sized for towing (more capacity, more stability). But according to manufacturing specifications, a mid-sized truck is "safe enough". But who am I to tell you that what I choose to do is safe enough for you? We all draw our own lines in the sand.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:41 AM   #35
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
It's all a matter of risk tolerance and comfort levels... Arguably a full-sized truck is safer than a mid-sized for towing (more capacity, more stability). But according to manufacturing specifications, a mid-sized truck is "safe enough". But who am I to tell you that what I choose to do is safe enough for you? We all draw our own lines in the sand.
Best response I have ever read in the never ending tow vehicle debate threads. Very well said!
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #36

Would this combination be considered safe and comfy enough?
The truck does only have a 17,500 lb conventional tow capacity, would that offer enough of a safety margin for a sub 1,500 lb trailer?

All kidding aside, I would never consider this truck for towing my upcoming 5.0TA. WAY too much overkill. (Though it is rated to tow up to 21,500 lbs for a 5th wheel)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #37

Jim, I would be really curious to know which would get the better fuel economy towing the 5.0. I assume the Super Duty is a diesel.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post
Jim, I would be really curious to know which would get the better fuel economy towing the 5.0. I assume the Super Duty is a diesel.
Compared to the F150, or something else? Yes, it has the 6.7L diesel.

Towing the 19 to Osoyoos last May, I averaged 17 litres/110 kms (Which is almost 17 mpg). I can barely get than on level going with the Pilot, which drops at least 25% in mountains and wind. Unhitched though it is no fair comparison, the Pilot fuel consumption is a lot better than the F350, and much nicer to drive around.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We took a long trip using my wifes small car (Gas mileage) and then a similar length trip in my full size truck. We never again considered the car for traveling. We looked at small trucks
(Ranger) but after comparing price ,options ,comfort, room ETC, the full size truck was a better fit for us. We just finished a 7000 mile trip , which never would have happened if we owned a small truck.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #40

Steve, what is the car you are referring too? Our 4 cyl Honda Accord gets great fuel economy, and is very comfortable to drive on long hauls.