Tow Vehicle Tradeoffs - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #21

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I agree with a point that Brian P makes often. That is many people complain of the lack of power for climbing hills and are not willing to rev the engine into the peak of the torque curve. There is a balance there between being willing to rev the engine when needed to make enough power to get the job done and bagging the living snot out of a under sized engine to barely make it up a hill risking harm to the vehicle. That being said most of these vehicles being questioned will get the job done. There are other considerations like stability and braking to factor in. A short light vehicle simply put, can not offer the same stability as a heavier longer vehicle, it is simple physics. " don't let the tail wag the dog" . I obviosly use a tow vehicle that most would consider over kill. I however enjoy the over all experience using this truck. The seats and room inside are very comfortable for all passengers. never feels like the trailer is dictating the ride, has plenty of power to maintain sensible speeds in our mountain passes and last but not least its a vehicle that I have good knowlege of how to fix and maintain. It tows our 19 ft very well and I am confident that it will tow our new 21 just as well.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #22

Trailer: looking
So if you were me (scary eh? My wife and I will be the only ones traveling, except for a small dog and cat, and we have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the new Pentastar and a 2014 Nissan Quest with a CVT. Which would you prefer using for pulling a 17B and would you consider the 19? Thank you in advance for your help.
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Why? The suspension matters, the weight matters, and the wheelbase and track matter, but how does the structural design make the vehicle combination more stable?
The frame is the foundation of a truck and a full frame will be stiffer and resist better the twisting forces coming from the trailer. Since the hitch is bolted or welded to the frame a hitch attached to a full frame truck is going to provide a better towing experience than one attached to a unibody. The highlander is a unibody SUV while the 4runner is a full frame. Having owned both and towed with both the 4runner is a superior tow vehicle.

Go to a dealer and drive both and you will feel the difference especially on uneven ground since I doubt they would let you try out towing.
smilycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 17B
A Tacoma is an even better tow vehicle. I had an 06 Tacoma that towed better than the 4runner since the wheelbase was longer. Similar frame, suspension, and engine but the longer wheelbase adds more stability.
smilycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #25

Is the jeep rated for 3500 lbs ? if so I would not but thats just my opinion
Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #26

Trailer: looking
Hi Dave,
yes, both the Wrangler Unlimited and the Quest are rated 3500#. Looks like it will be a 17B for us (used).
Thank you!
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
So if you were me (scary eh? My wife and I will be the only ones traveling, except for a small dog and cat, and we have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the new Pentastar and a 2014 Nissan Quest with a CVT. Which would you prefer using for pulling a 17B and would you consider the 19? Thank you in advance for your help.
I see very little difference between the 2 as far as capabilities, I'd pick the more comfortable.
Both are 3500 lbs, if you're open to trading one of them in go ahead and go with the 19 and see how it works out. If you are flat against trading, go with the 17.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #28

my advice would be by the trailer you will be the happiest with and then buy the tow vehicle that makes you feel comfortable towing it. Chances are you will have the trailer alot longer. I have watched many friends and family buy the trailer that they can tow with the vehicle that they have to only replace the vehicle a short while later.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 19, Escape 23 on order
Quote:
Does "CV" in this case mean "continuously variable"? If so, that's surprising to me, since I've never heard of a Mercedes CVT, a Chrysler CVT (other than the 2mode hybrid), or a CVT in a heavy-duty or V8 application... let alone a Mercedes-sourced CVT in a V8 Chrysler. I learned today that there are some Jatco CVTs in some of their small SUVs, but that's not the Grand Cherokee.

2011 is the current generation of Grand Cherokee; I believe that the 2011 Hemi has a Chrysler (not Mercedes) 545RFE 5-speed conventional automatic. This is probably a fine transmission - it's just not a CVT or a Mercedes. Chrysler apparently likes to call this a "multi-speed" transmission, apparently not noticing that automatics after the old two-speeds of the six decades ago are all multi-speed. :
I was under the impression that the Hemi powered Jeeps were using the W5A580 transmission. While both are considered very reliable transmissions, the W5A580 is newer, more advanced, and from all the accounts I've read on the internet, an incredibly strong transmissions, used in many high power applications with little to no modification (1000+ hp). It is even found in the 2012+ Jeep Wranglers, which was interesting as the Wranglers have never had a good automatic transmission (IMHO). It's on my short list of automatic transmissions I'd want to use for towing purposes
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
I was under the impression that the Hemi powered Jeeps were using the W5A580 transmission.
Could be, but those Wikipedia lists show the Chrysler transmission for Hemi Grand Cherokees up to 2011, and don't show the Mercedes transmission in them at all... and certainly not the Mercedes CVT suggested earlier.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 19, Escape 23 on order
Quote:
Could be, but those Wikipedia lists show the Chrysler transmission for Hemi Grand Cherokees up to 2011, and don't show the Mercedes transmission in them at all... and certainly not the Mercedes CVT suggested earlier.
Looks like it depends on year and motor, and there are a few other variants in there as well.
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From some quick googling, it appears the Jeep Patriot and Compass were the only Jeep vehicles with CVT.
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #32

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
My jeep trans

All I know is what I hear on the jeep forum or from the service people. After 65000 miles and half of that towing 3700 or 4200# I know I like it. I'm afraid any changes on the 2014 will not be for the best and then when I hit 100,000 I won't know what to do as extended warranty will be gone. This might be the smoothest shifting trans I have ever owned (of maybe a hundred). Although that 63 Buick trans in my wife's Riviera was very smooth.
Jack of Tucson enjoying the rain at Glacier.
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:21 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Hey jack, I finally dealt with that Tahoe squeak problem in the left front wheel I asked you to look at, at Moab.
Attached Thumbnails
Heron063.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #34

for what it is worth I have an escape 19 and tow it with a Honda pilot 6 cylinders and all is good. big T
tmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #35

securing your trailer

last week had my 19ft escape stolen from my front driveway. not to happy. seems I now have to go to elaborate protection to secure any future trailers. would appreciate advice as to what is the best way to secure. wheel clamps have been recommended. if that is the way what is the best wheel clamp to buy. any suggestions. big t
Old 06-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Big T,
sorry for your loss, you may want to start a new thread about this issue.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #37

Trailer: TBD
tmorris, check out this thread on FGRV about another Escape that was recently stolen, lots of different ideas as to the best security method.

Stolen Escape 19' - Fiberglass RV
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #38

I towed my 19 footer with a Honda pilot . no problems rated to tow 4500 lbs
Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #39

Trailer: wannabe 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilycook View Post
Dave, You should add a 4runner to your list. We just picked up a 17B and drove back to Boise going over numerable passes and steep grades and we easily able to do the speed limit and over the speed limit if we wanted. The 2014 4runner also has electronic trailer sway control and a built in hitch with a 5000lbs tow capacity. A full frame SUV is going to be more stable.
+1 for that. We have a 2014 4Runner as well with a 19' on order. I am more than confident it will pull with factory hitch.
liveyoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #40

i have a 2011 honda pilot 4 wheel dr rated to tow 4500 lbs. i had a 19 escape and it handled the trailer very well. i am now going to try it on a 21 ft. has anybody used a honda to tow a 21footer.