Towing 17B - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #81

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
No need for a WDH, sway control is up to you. If you get sway from passing trucks or cross winds you can add one. Out of curiosity, does the trailer ride level or slightly down in the front when hitched up?
Thanks to all you guys for easing my mind . Trailer seems to ride level . Maybe down a very little .It never rides high at hitch or with back down . When big rigs pass us trailer never seems to be affected . Neither with wind .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #82

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
With an F-250, unless you are carrying a lot of cargo while towing, the rear axle will have relatively low load on it, and the load shift of a WDH would be detrimental. These hitches also interfere with hitch motion in various ways, which can have the effect of adding stability, but with the truck's wheelbase if you had instability it would mean that you had done something wrong with the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I had read some Ford tow literature for their various trucks and SUV's a while back that differentiated between ratings for towing boats and for towing slab-front tows.
Nothing for Honda or Toyota.
Most manufacturers (including Ford and Toyota) use most of the same material in the towing section of every vehicle which they rate for towing... including bits which are not applicable to that particular vehicle.

In the past, Honda has specifically listed a 4500 pound rating for boats, while the general towing rating was 3500 pounds, for the Odyssey. I don't know if they currently do.

At least half of vehicle manufacturers (including Ford and Toyota) offer complete owner's manuals online, so there's no need to guess - just download the manual for the vehicle of interest. I have a copy for one year of the RAV4: no mention of frontal area, and there isn't in my Sienna manual, either.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
With an F-250, unless you are carrying a lot of cargo while towing, the rear axle will have relatively low load on it, and the load shift of a WDH would be detrimental. These hitches also interfere with hitch motion in various ways, which can have the effect of adding stability, but with the truck's wheelbase if you had instability it would mean that you had done something wrong with the trailer.

Most manufacturers (including Ford and Toyota) use most of the same material in the towing section of every vehicle which they rate for towing... including bits which are not applicable to that particular vehicle.

In the past, Honda has specifically listed a 4500 pound rating for boats, while the general towing rating was 3500 pounds, for the Odyssey. I don't know if they currently do.

At least half of vehicle manufacturers (including Ford and Toyota) offer complete owner's manuals online, so there's no need to guess - just download the manual for the vehicle of interest. I have a copy for one year of the RAV4: no mention of frontal area, and there isn't in my Sienna manual, either.
Thanks again to everyone for explanations .Pat
Old 12-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #84

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Don . Escape told me I didn't need WD or sway because of my truck . I originally had on build list then traded for the fancy wheels . When I am towing big rigs pass me nothing no sway . The truck is F 250 long bed . What do you think is there any advantage for getting anything or am I OK ? Would it help backing up ? I know truck is overkill but I already had . I just want to be safe . Towing my tent trailer when I was cut off , I almost lost control and thought I was going to die . I was towing with a F 100 truck at the time . What can I say Don I like trucks . But ? Do I need anything ? Pat
Escape told me the same thing, I have a 2013 F250 with the 6.2 and torque shift transmission. The same tranny ford uses for there new diesel, you won't have any problem with a trailer as light as yours, you may have to keep looking to see if it's still there because you won't even feel it behind you.
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #85

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
... Remember the 21 has only been out for a little over a year. It would be helpful if ETI would disclose how many have been hooked up to Full-size vs. all others.
They may have an informal recollection of who tows what with what, but I doubt that ETI keeps any records of what tow vehicles are used for their trailers. This forum is probably the best source for that type of information.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
Escape told me the same thing, I have a 2013 F250 with the 6.2 and torque shift transmission. The same tranny ford uses for there new diesel, you won't have any problem with a trailer as light as yours, you may have to keep looking to see if it's still there because you won't even feel it behind you.
My F250 XLT , 5.8 is a 1992 standard cab . I love my truck and take good care of her . Her formal job was hauling a 9 1/2 camper for 11 years .Pat
Old 12-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
My F250 XLT , 5.8 is a 1992 standard cab . I love my truck and take good care of her . Her formal job was hauling a 9 1/2 camper for 11 years .Pat
Pat,
How many miles on your 92? Ford makes some tough engines!
Old 12-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #88

Quote:
Pat,
How many miles on your 92? Ford makes some tough engines!
118,000 mi. Had my trans w/ new torque converter rebuilt after I came home from Canada . Was over 100.000 and the age, needed a seal . Found a great trans guy and decided to just rebuild mine .I am 2nd owner for 12 years and previous owner towed a boat . I am constantly asked if I want to sell her . The answer is a no . Anyway she is a great truck .
Old 12-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #89

I've also had great experiences with Ford trucks. My first was the very first year they changed to the new super duty platform in 1999, it had the V10 and I traded it in after 190,000 miles. My goal with my new truck is to rack up 250,000 miles! The biggest threat I have in the northeast is salt, I have been using this stuff called fluid film with very good results. This truck will get sprayed every two years from a local shop.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #90

Quote:
I've also had great experiences with Ford trucks. My first was the very first year they changed to the new super duty platform in 1999, it had the V10 and I traded it in after 190,000 miles. My goal with my new truck is to rack up 250,000 miles! The biggest threat I have in the northeast is salt, I have been using this stuff called fluid film with very good results. This truck will get sprayed every two years from a local shop.
Sorry about the salt . Hope the spraying takes care of that problem . Being in California do not have that problem . Just Hugh taxes here.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #91

Some call them taxes, some call it extortion!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #92

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just get one of these and you will have no issues....
Attached Thumbnails
slideshow_1.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #93

Aw Jim, that's still just a pickup... serious RVers use one one these, which are actually quite common for fifth-wheels (I see them in RV parks and one the road):
SportTruck | Truck Details

If you are thinking you need one of these for any Escape (especially a 17), please give your head a shake!
Attached Thumbnails
SportTruckM2.jpg  
Old 12-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #94

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Well , if you can pull a 21 with a v 6 then pulling a 17 with a Honda civic should be no problem , no head shake needed !
Old 12-23-2014, 12:59 AM   #95

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
I have seen these! Aren't these beasts measure fuel economy in gpm instead of mpg?
Old 12-23-2014, 01:00 AM   #96

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Depends.

Now where did I put them??
Old 12-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Well , if you can pull a 21 with a v 6 then pulling a 17 with a Honda civic should be no problem , no head shake needed !
Sure it can. But the back of the vehicle comes undone due to the lateral towing loads. Just don't go around curves, I guess.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoaoka View Post
I have seen these! Aren't these beasts measure fuel economy in gpm instead of mpg?
Terrible by Escape-towing standards, but no worse than ordinary pickup trucks pulling the same big trailer, because the trailer determines the air drag and accounts for most of the weight, and the Freightliner is working at the load for which it is designed. Which is not an Escape.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Not quite, because tug size difference doesn't match the trailer load difference - a typical V6 tug has perhaps twice the sustained power output capability of a Civic, but the 17 needs more than half the pull of the 21. Plus, as Don pointed out, towing about a lot more than the engine. Again, counting cylinders doesn't work, but looking at actual capabilities and ratings does.

The silly big Freightliners are six-cylinders with less power than a typical full-sized pickup, by the way...
Old 12-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #100

It's all in the gearing!