Towing 17B - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #121

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Invaluable!!! Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I would like to suggest the following as a fairly accurate alternative to manufacturer's data sheets and manuals.

Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine

follow the link, then download the PDF for your year of interest.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #122

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I would like to suggest the following as a fairly accurate alternative to manufacturer's data sheets and manuals.

Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine
That one is perhaps the most commonly referenced, it's certainly useful, and most of the information is not bad... but it is also the same list that I have used in the past as an example of how poor these lists are. The emphasis is on larger trailers, and tugs suitable for (as an example) an Escape 17B can be completely omitted or listed incorrectly.

For instance, in the listing for the year of my Toyota van, the van is listed correctly, but the Highlander is wrong.

The annual approach is also annoying, since it seems to me that someone buying a used vehicle is likely far more interested in a specific model or tug or a specific minimum towing capacity than in a specific year.

I would consider this list useful for finding potential tugs, but would not believe any data without verifying it... and that includes not eliminating any model just because this list shows it with too low a towing limit.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #123

Excellent advice and I will absolutely take it. Thank you!
Knowing there are errors on these lists makes me feel a bit better about the screw-ups I made on mine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That one is perhaps the most commonly referenced, it's certainly useful, and most of the information is not bad... but it is also the same list that I have used in the past as an example of how poor these lists are. The emphasis is on larger trailers, and tugs suitable for (as an example) an Escape 17B can be completely omitted or listed incorrectly.

For instance, in the listing for the year of my Toyota van, the van is listed correctly, but the Highlander is wrong.

The annual approach is also annoying, since it seems to me that someone buying a used vehicle is likely far more interested in a specific model or tug or a specific minimum towing capacity than in a specific year.

I would consider this list useful for finding potential tugs, but would not believe any data without verifying it... and that includes not eliminating any model just because this list shows it with too low a towing limit.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #124

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Ellen,
Please don't feel bad about posting some inaccurate information on tow vehicles ..... rather I thank you for going to all that effort. Its times like these that awaken the vast store of information as is present on this site. I, for one, have learned alot.

Now, if you would please post a chart describing the best trailer for all of us and include where we should have our trailer take us?
StarvingHyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #125

Thank you for that, it really DOES make me feel better!!!

Well, now, easy one:
Best trailer: Escape in size of choice, with options of choice (well, ok, maybe not so easy!) But definitely the "Escape" part!

Where trailer should take us: OK, THIS is easy -- follow our hearts . . . and a good GPS! Or a map if it's a bad GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Ellen,
Please don't feel bad about posting some inaccurate information on tow vehicles ..... rather I thank you for going to all that effort. Its times like these that awaken the vast store of information as is present on this site. I, for one, have learned alot.

Now, if you would please post a chart describing the best trailer for all of us and include where we should have our trailer take us?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #126

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Well, now, easy one:
Best trailer: Escape in size of choice, with options of choice (well, ok, maybe not so easy!) But definitely the "Escape" part!

Where trailer should take us: OK, THIS is easy -- follow our hearts . . . and a good GPS! Or a map if it's a bad GPS.
Well, Letsee:
Trailer: ESCAPE - check
Size/options: 17 Build sheet done, three times already - check
Maps: 2 inch stack of possibles on back table at work - check
GPS: Wife/Navigator has smartphone w/app. - check

All I need to do is implement! Yeah.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #127

You are SO covered!!!
. . . and ready to roll!!!
Must admit--I envy you the completed Build Sheet!
Quote:
Well, Letsee:
Trailer: ESCAPE - check
Size/options: 17 Build sheet done, three times already - check
Maps: 2 inch stack of possibles on back table at work - check
GPS: Wife/Navigator has smartphone w/app. - check

All I need to do is implement! Yeah.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #128

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
I've read this thread several times in an attempt to figure out frontal load limits.

Would someone be so helpful as to post this or PM me so I won't feel like a complete idiot!

Want to get the 17b....trying to figure out what to tow it with. Thank you!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #129

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe Glenn Baglo has posted several times his tongue weight on the Escape 17, try him and or here are some numbers Trailer Weights in the Real World - Fiberglass RV
Any tow vehicle rated 350/3500 should be adequate. That said, going with a 500/5000 should allow you extra just in case you get the "2 foot itis" and want a Escape 19 later on.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #130

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Can you explain what you mean by frontal load limits. Do you mean average tongue weight?
As for what to tow it with, Toyota Hylander, Honda Pilot, Hyundai Santa Fe. Basically anything with 3,500 lb tow / 350 lb tongue limit or more. My 2008 RAV4 works but in 2013 Toyota lowered the tow rating.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #131

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
I've read this thread several times in an attempt to figure out frontal load limits. Thank you!

If you mean frontal area like in post #52, someone else will have to answer that.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #132

Got it!

Thanks ..cpaharley and gbaglo. All this towing stuff is new as we had a class c.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
If you mean frontal area like in post #52, someone else will have to answer that.
It started there....and went on to "frontal area not to exceed 55 sq ft ".

I believe my question was answered...I just would hate to buy a TV only to find out...it's not going to be adequate.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #134

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
How's this: We bought a used 17B; the owner used a 4WD or really AWD Highlander. We had a Murano and it was rated at 3500#. It did OK, but I was primarily worried about the CVT transmission and we had a bad experience on a gravel road with grade. Sooo....we bought an AWD Highlander and it was a great TV for the 17B. Would definitely get one with the factory tow package and hitch. It's integrated somewhat into the rear bumper and will be higher than an aftermarket hitch. You'll also get a trans cooler and a larger alternator.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #135

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, you definitely want a factory installed towing upgrade which includes both heavy duty cooling and transmission cooling as well as heavier structural components.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #136

You're awesome....thanks!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #137

tow it easily with a 3.5 litre v6.. lots around
tmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, you definitely want a factory installed towing upgrade which includes both heavy duty cooling and transmission cooling as well as heavier structural components.
I agree that any available factory towing preparation package is advisable; however, they are not all the same.

Some include heavy duty engine cooling (example: Toyota Sienna starting 2007 has an engine oil cooler in the package), but many do not. Most have extra transmission cooling (example: Toyota Sienna up to 2006), but some do not (example: Toyota Sienna starting 2007). Some have suspension enhancements, but I doubt very many have any structural difference (example: Toyota Sienna and related models have no suspension or structure differences with the package). Some have other features (such as a shorter final drive ratio, or even an entirely different axle in a towing & payload package).

All my examples above are from the Toyota Sienna because I know it and it works for this purpose, but this isn't unique to this make or model. Towing package content varies, depending on what the vehicle needs to be reliable and effective under sustained high load.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:57 PM   #139

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorris View Post
tow it easily with a 3.5 litre v6.. lots around
No one should use power as the only barometer in choosing the right TV. As mentioned previously, the Murano was plenty powerful enough of a motor, yet it was not really well suited to tow our 17B. All Nissan offers is a Class I hitch. No tow package available. Doesn't that say a lot about it not being a good choice for towing of a travel trailer?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:15 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
...we bought an AWD Highlander and it was a great TV for the 17B. Would definitely get one with the factory tow package and hitch. It's integrated somewhat into the rear bumper and will be higher than an aftermarket hitch.
A friend of mine was buying a 2015 Highlander so I had a look at the hitch. The OEM accessory hitch is nicely integrated and looks good, but it also protrudes rearward more, which might be an irritation (think shins...). The OEM receiver is higher, but I don't know if the aftermarket ones are low enough to be a concern of any kind.

There were none on the dealer lots around here so I didn't get a chance to see how they compare structurally - this situation has changed between earlier generations of the Highlander, so it might have changed again. In any case, I'm sure the OEM hitch will be solid and well-mounted, judging from other Toyota models and earlier Highlanders; aftermarket hitches for the 2015 Highlander are solid too.