Towing 17B - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #61
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Newbury, Massachusetts
Trailer: 2014 17B; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6
Posts: 67
The Jeep Grand Cherokee owners manual lists the maximum trailer frontal area as 55 sq ft.
__________________

Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,720
I've read a lot of the RAV4 manual and never come across max trailer frontal area. Anybody else?
__________________

__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob2014 View Post
The Jeep Grand Cherokee owners manual lists the maximum trailer frontal area as 55 sq ft.
Looks like the 17 makes it: 6.67' wide x 8.17' tall = 54.5 sq.ft.
__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:15 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
OneOleMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Posts: 345
What do they consider the frontal area, that which is above the roof of the TV and extends beyond the sides or the complete front area? I'm certainly no expert in these things but why would they consider any part of the trailer within the confines of the TV?
__________________
Pat
Life is Good
When "Escaping Reality" Sold 5/2016
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
What do they consider the frontal area, that which is above the roof of the TV and extends beyond the sides or the complete front area? I'm certainly no expert in these things but why would they consider any part of the trailer within the confines of the TV?
Because of the gap between the TV and the towed, the air stream tucks in behind the TV and then is forced back out by the front of the towed. E.G. road grime on the front of the towed. Similar to the reason you leave your pickup tailgate down for slightly better gas mileage.
__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
... So, a point worthy of mention at this point is use of, and need for, weight distribution hitches (WDH). ETI calls them equalizer hitches in their options list, though they do not provide the "Equalizer" brand of WDH, but (currently) the Reese (Cequent) Pro Series WDH.
ETI states in Frequently asked questions: "The EQ hitch evenly distributes the trailer tongue weight of the trailer throughout the front and rear axles of the tow vehicle and the trailer axle. All front wheel drive vehicles will require an equalizer hitch."
So, a WDH is required for our FWD candidates...
While the statement in the ETI FAQ is well-intentioned, it is simply not true. In fact, some tow vehicle manufacturers recommend against the use of a WDH, and in some cases ban WDH use. More typical is my front-wheel-drive Toyota Sienna, which requires a WDH only for tongue weights over 350 pounds - that means a WDH would be required for a 21', likely needed for a 19', possibly needed for 17' (depending on how nose-heavy the equipment), and unnecessary for the 13' (no longer produced) and a reasonably equipped and loaded 15'.

WDH use has much to do with rear suspension and Rear GAWR, and little to do with driven wheels.

Also, the tongue weight is not distributed by the WDH; instead, load is shifted from the rear axle to the other axles; you could transfer load with a WDH attached to a trailer with zero tongue weight if you wanted. The distribution caused by a WDH is not even between the axles; the ratio of transfer to the front and transfer to the trailer is determined entirely by vehicle dimensions (wheelbase and distance from rear axle to trailer axle), not by WDH design or adjustment.


I do get the point... in many cases WDH will be required, or at least desirable. In many cases - such as my Sienna - hitch receivers rated for WD use will not be mounted any differently from those not rated for WD.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:28 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
OneOleMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Because of the gap between the TV and the towed, the air stream tucks in behind the TV and then is forced back out by the front of the towed. E.G. road grime on the front of the towed. Similar to the reason you leave your pickup tailgate down for slightly better gas mileage.
Okay, gotcha, thanks.
__________________
Pat
Life is Good
When "Escaping Reality" Sold 5/2016
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While the statement in the ETI FAQ is well-intentioned, it is simply not true. In fact, some tow vehicle manufacturers recommend against the use of a WDH, and in some cases ban WDH use. More typical is my front-wheel-drive Toyota Sienna, which requires a WDH only for tongue weights over 350 pounds - that means a WDH would be required for a 21', likely needed for a 19', possibly needed for 17' (depending on how nose-heavy the equipment), and unnecessary for the 13' (no longer produced) and a reasonably equipped and loaded 15'.

WDH use has much to do with rear suspension and Rear GAWR, and little to do with driven wheels.

Also, the tongue weight is not distributed by the WDH; instead, load is shifted from the rear axle to the other axles; you could transfer load with a WDH attached to a trailer with zero tongue weight if you wanted. The distribution caused by a WDH is not even between the axles; the ratio of transfer to the front and transfer to the trailer is determined entirely by vehicle dimensions (wheelbase and distance from rear axle to trailer axle), not by WDH design or adjustment.


I do get the point... in many cases WDH will be required, or at least desirable. In many cases - such as my Sienna - hitch receivers rated for WD use will not be mounted any differently from those not rated for WD.
Brian,
Ah, the response. Rather than parse out where I agree and not, the best course is to concur with your last statement, that in many cases WDH will be required, or desirable. I would add that for the smaller in stature TV's in the range of FWD TV's being considered, the WDH becomes more and more a necessary feature in the devices connecting the TV to the towed. Thanks for the input.
__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:56 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Since this thread started with Ellen asking about smaller tow vehicles with decent mileage, many of the candidates for TV are those for which the details are a bit more important.
So, a point worthy of mention at this point is use of, and need for, weight distribution hitches (WDH). ETI calls them equalizer hitches in their options list, though they do not provide the "Equalizer" brand of WDH, but (currently) the Reese (Cequent) Pro Series WDH.
ETI states in Frequently asked questions: "The EQ hitch evenly distributes the trailer tongue weight of the trailer throughout the front and rear axles of the tow vehicle and the trailer axle. All front wheel drive vehicles will require an equalizer hitch."
So, a WDH is required for our FWD candidates for higher mileage ratings in TV's, per ETI.
Two components with proper ratings are required: the WD hitch, which connects the trailer to the vehicle; and the receiver, which bolts to the TV: alert! alert! this is typically called "The trailer hitch".
If you look at the listings in my go-to place to acquire tow stuff, etrailer.com, you see, in the smaller print, the tow ratings. Some, but not all, have separate ratings listed for "weight-distribution towing capacity". These are our candidates for hitches (receivers). They typically have additional attachment points, and sometimes additional components, to transfer the lateral towing loads to the tow vehicle.

Hey, what can I say, it's all in the details.
Hi Don . Escape told me I didn't need WD or sway because of my truck . I originally had on build list then traded for the fancy wheels . When I am towing big rigs pass me nothing no sway . The truck is F 250 long bed . What do you think is there any advantage for getting anything or am I OK ? Would it help backing up ? I know truck is overkill but I already had . I just want to be safe . Towing my tent trailer when I was cut off , I almost lost control and thought I was going to die . I was towing with a F 100 truck at the time . What can I say Don I like trucks . But ? Do I need anything ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Don . Escape told me I didn't need WD or sway because of my truck . I originally had on build list then traded for the fancy wheels . When I am towing big rigs pass me nothing no sway . The truck is F 250 long bed . What do you think is there any advantage for getting anything or am I OK ? Would it help backing up ? I know truck is overkill but I already had . I just want to be safe . Towing my tent trailer when I was cut off , I almost lost control and thought I was going to die . I was towing with a F 100 truck at the time . What can I say Don I like trucks . But ? Do I need anything ? Pat
Pat,
You've got an F250; you're good to go. They don't call 'em "Super Duty" for nothing. ( If it would fit, you probably could just load the 19 in the bed!)
__________________

__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.