Towing 17B - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
An upsize would be going from one size to bigger one, with the same interior. An upgrade would be going from one interior to another, different, and preferably better interior. Thus one can upgrade and still remain with the same size and one can upsize and still remain with the same interior. With an Escape it is almost impossible to upsize without upgrading and almost impossible to not upgrade while not upsizing as each year they improve their products via changes. Sometimes they make changes while still in production for the same year. It's called progress. That is my $.02 worth this am.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
An upsize would be going from one size to bigger one, with the same interior. An upgrade would be going from one interior to another, different, and preferably better interior. Thus one can upgrade and still remain with the same size and one can upsize and still remain with the same interior. With an Escape it is almost impossible to upsize without upgrading and almost impossible to not upgrade while not upsizing as each year they improve their products via changes. Sometimes they make changes while still in production for the same year. It's called progress. That is my $.02 worth this am.
Is that US or Canadian? (And if Canadian better collect soon, they no longer make them. Does that mean C$0.02 is zero - since 2 would round down? Does that mean the phrase means "worth nothing?!")
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Wow, am so appreciative of all the great information you have all provided--the response has been so much more than ever expected--have learned a TON!!!

I have taken notes on just about every single post and will be researching several of the suggested TV's.

The actual purchase is probably several months away (am so glad to have these ten months leeway for TV purchase, Build Sheet decisions, organizing my life for the big get-away!!!) but I will post when I buy the vehicle.

Thank you all SO MUCH for taking the time to provide all this great information!!!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
... Does that mean C$0.02 is zero - since 2 would round down? Does that mean the phrase means "worth nothing?!")
The key is to collect the 2-cent pay electronically, since it is only the penny coin - not the idea of 1/100th of a dollar - which has gone out of production. I don't think credit or debit card companies like $0.02 transactions, though...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The key is to collect the 2-cent pay electronically, since it is only the penny coin - not the idea of 1/100th of a dollar - which has gone out of production. I don't think credit or debit card companies like $0.02 transactions, though...
Quite the opposite. It doesn't matter to credit card companies what the amount of the transaction is, they're billing the merchant an individual transaction fee, usually .25-.30, plus whatever the rate is against the amount of the purchase. It's why you're seeing minimum purchase amounts now more and more at businesses.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
It doesn't matter to credit card companies what the amount of the transaction is, they're billing the merchant an individual transaction fee, usually .25-.30, plus whatever the rate is against the amount of the purchase.
Good point - I should have said the company being paid by credit or debit card!
Old 12-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Today I rode to lunch with a customer who has a 2014 4-runner. What a NICE vehicle. Mileage would be a concern perhaps but this thing would be capable of easily towing any Escape model - except the 5er of course. Probably wouldn't even know it's there.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #48

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i love my Highlander - tows well and also a comfortable car to drive in when not towing. I like the fact that it doesn't feel like a truck. I would prefer a smaller car but like the size when towing.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i love my Highlander - tows well and also a comfortable car to drive in when not towing. I like the fact that it doesn't feel like a truck. I would prefer a smaller car but like the size when towing.
A Highlander is probably a perfect TV for a 17. The only one I'd maybe feel dicey about is the 21 -- and even then, its doable.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape 19
There is always a honda ridgeline as a tv, it drives like a car, has lots of storage space.

Linda
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
"Doable"? While I agree it is one of the better choices for a 17B(had both), my feeling about 4000#+ trailers like the 21 is you're pushing it with any crossover in terms of wear & tear but more importantly pushing it in terms of safety when going downhill. Remember the 21 has only been out for a little over a year. It would be helpful if ETI would disclose how many have been hooked up to Full-size vs. all others.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #52

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
We have a 2015 Grand Jeep Cherokee limited with the tow package and are very happy towing our 17B. In May of 2013, we bought a teardrop trailer and a new Subaru Outback. When we decided to upgrade our trailer to a 17B in May of 2014, we needed another new tow vehicle. We decided to get plenty of towing capacity so if we eventually moved to the larger 19, we wouldn't have to immediately replace our tow vehicle. Some vehicles we considered had adequate towing capacity but the 17b's frontal area exceeded the tow vehicles maximum. Good luck with you decision.
Maureen
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
"Doable"? While I agree it is one of the better choices for a 17B(had both), my feeling about 4000#+ trailers like the 21 is you're pushing it with any crossover in terms of wear & tear but more importantly pushing it in terms of safety when going downhill. Remember the 21 has only been out for a little over a year. It would be helpful if ETI would disclose how many have been hooked up to Full-size vs. all others.
I couldn't agree more, but it is 'doable'. Would I? No. I like a big margin.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #54

Trailer: 2012 B17
If it is just for two consider a used Ford Ranger. They are lots of them around. They get reasonable good milage. If you want it get a 4X4 but the 2X4 works well. And they come with a basement to store all your travel stuff.
Bobccat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobccat View Post
If it is just for two consider a used Ford Ranger. They are lots of them around. They get reasonable good milage. If you want it get a 4X4 but the 2X4 works well. And they come with a basement to store all your travel stuff.
Dunno Bobcat, I think that depends on the engine. My Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0L V6 gets TERRIBLE mileage without towing. I can only imagine how much it would drop when towing a 19. Its going up for sale right after Christmas, to make room for an F150 ecoboost V6.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #56

Quote:
While I agree it is one of the better choices for a 17B(had both), my feeling about 4000#+ trailers like the 21 is you're pushing it with any crossover in terms of wear & tear but more importantly pushing it in terms of safety when going downhill.
Why would the "crossover" Highlander be any less safe than the traditional SUV (certainly not crossover) 4Runner? The two vehicles have the same weight and wheelbase, and suspension of comparable capability (although entirely different design)... and if the concern is brake capacity that has nothing to do with crossover versus traditional design.

Quote:
Remember the 21 has only been out for a little over a year. It would be helpful if ETI would disclose how many have been hooked up to Full-size vs. all others.
If this means you're talking about size, not type - that is, you recommend a full-size truck or similar-sized SUV - then that makes more sense to me. "Crossover" has nothing to do with size, only the design and components used to build the vehicle.

I'll also note that current mid-size SUVs - both crossover and traditional - are the size of "full-size" SUVs of the past.

Also, if a two-ton Escape 21 is not safe behind a two-ton SUV, then a four-ton trailer shouldn't be acceptable behind a three-ton full-sized pickup truck, right? Should everyone with those trailers be pulling with Ford F-450?
Old 12-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #57

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob2014 View Post
Some vehicles we considered had adequate towing capacity but the 17b's frontal area exceeded the tow vehicles maximum. Good luck with you decision.
Maureen
I think this deserves an explanation. Some manufacturers list different/higher tow ratings for low profile tows like boats, as opposed to flat-front tows like trailers.
And also, a point to ponder, as is posted on ETI's website, is its shape: "The Escape has a durable, structurally designed, frame with light-weight, aerodynamic, molded fiberglass body."
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I couldn't agree more, but it is 'doable'. Would I? No. I like a big margin.
I would agree with this. I don't want the tail wagging the dog.
Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Why would the "crossover" Highlander be any less safe than the traditional SUV (certainly not crossover) 4Runner? The two vehicles have the same weight and wheelbase, and suspension of comparable capability (although entirely different design)... and if the concern is brake capacity that has nothing to do with crossover versus traditional design.

If this means you're talking about size, not type - that is, you recommend a full-size truck or similar-sized SUV - then that makes more sense to me. "Crossover" has nothing to do with size, only the design and components used to build the vehicle.

I'll also note that current mid-size SUVs - both crossover and traditional - are the size of "full-size" SUVs of the past.

Also, if a two-ton Escape 21 is not safe behind a two-ton SUV, then a four-ton trailer shouldn't be acceptable behind a three-ton full-sized pickup truck, right? Should everyone with those trailers be pulling with Ford F-450?
4Runner is heavier, has different suspension and tires, however I think a lot of people overestimate it for towing larger trailers when in reality its target market is more for off-roading enthusiasts.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Since this thread started with Ellen asking about smaller tow vehicles with decent mileage, many of the candidates for TV are those for which the details are a bit more important.
So, a point worthy of mention at this point is use of, and need for, weight distribution hitches (WDH). ETI calls them equalizer hitches in their options list, though they do not provide the "Equalizer" brand of WDH, but (currently) the Reese (Cequent) Pro Series WDH.
ETI states in Frequently asked questions: "The EQ hitch evenly distributes the trailer tongue weight of the trailer throughout the front and rear axles of the tow vehicle and the trailer axle. All front wheel drive vehicles will require an equalizer hitch."
So, a WDH is required for our FWD candidates for higher mileage ratings in TV's, per ETI.
Two components with proper ratings are required: the WD hitch, which connects the trailer to the vehicle; and the receiver, which bolts to the TV: alert! alert! this is typically called "The trailer hitch".
If you look at the listings in my go-to place to acquire tow stuff, etrailer.com, you see, in the smaller print, the tow ratings. Some, but not all, have separate ratings listed for "weight-distribution towing capacity". These are our candidates for hitches (receivers). They typically have additional attachment points, and sometimes additional components, to transfer the lateral towing loads to the tow vehicle.

Hey, what can I say, it's all in the details.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote