Towing - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #111
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
If you can put a receiver on the front of your tow vehicle you will get better maneuverability....

Old 05-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #112

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Front hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you can put a receiver on the front of your tow vehicle you will get better maneuverability....
You used to see the front hitch on cars and trucks before the proliferation of front and four wheel drive vehicles especially around boat ramps. That bottom few feet can get pretty slippery and has lead to some epic fails.
My New Holland TC 40 D has the oversteer feature so it will turn real short. Separate the brake pedals, depress either one and turn the wheel full right or full left put her in turtle on the low range side and you can just about screw yourself into the soft ground. With a good bucket, you're rarely really stuck.
Dave

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #113

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
A while back I posed a similar concern in preparation for the arrival of our new 19'. Someone suggested mounting a receiver on our vehicle and that's exactly what I did. When we arrive home from camping, I unhitch from my pickup in our narrow, telephone pole infested alley. I get our other vehicle that has the front mount and push the trailer exactly where I need it. It was a wonderful suggestion and works very well for me.
gudmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #114

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
My New Holland TC 40 D has the oversteer feature so it will turn real short. Separate the brake pedals, depress either one and turn the wheel full right or full left put her in turtle on the low range side and you can just about screw yourself into the soft ground.
Cutting brakes are certainly handy; I had some landscape work done many years ago and the construction tractor (loader) operator did some impressive maneouvering with them. I hope they wouldn't be needed on a paved or gravel surface to position a trailer.

Dave, by "oversteer" do you mean Supersteer™, which pivots the entire front axle in addition to turning the wheels on it? I had never seen this before today, and it is fascinating.

If you really want to turn tightly, you could put a ball on the front of a skid-steer loader (such as a Bobcat). It's amazing what can be done with a skid-steer, if you don't mind some (okay, a massive amount of) tire scrubbing. A rear-steer front-mount mower (without the mower deck) would be really maneouverable, too.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #115

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
If you put a receiver on the front of the TV, does it matter if the TV is rear-wheel drive (or front)? We are looking at going up a short slope, not terribly steep, and then it flattens out.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
If you put a receiver on the front of the TV, does it matter if the TV is rear-wheel drive (or front)? We are looking at going up a short slope, not terribly steep, and then it flattens out.
If the vehicle has front wheel drive, adding the hitch weight at the front will improve drive traction; if it is rear wheel drive, adding the hitch weight up there will make drive traction worse. The shorter the vehicle's wheelbase, the more noticeable the effect. Whether or not "worse" means "not good enough" depends on the traction situation to start with.

A 4Runner isn't especially long, but some 4Runners have full-time 4WD systems that drive the front wheels (and the rear) all of the time, so for at least those ones traction should not be a concern; it looks like this may be in the Limited Premium version only. For the others, with part-time 4WD, the 4WD mode can be engaged, but that's not usable for turning on a paved surface.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #117

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If the vehicle has front wheel drive, adding the hitch weight at the front will improve drive traction; if it is rear wheel drive, adding the hitch weight up there will make drive traction worse. The shorter the vehicle's wheelbase, the more noticeable the effect. Whether or not "worse" means "not good enough" depends on the traction situation to start with.

A 4Runner isn't especially long, but some 4Runners have full-time 4WD systems that drive the front wheels (and the rear) all of the time, so for at least those ones traction should not be a concern; it looks like this may be in the Limited Premium version only. For the others, with part-time 4WD, the 4WD mode can be engaged, but that's not usable for turning on a paved surface.
Ours is a 2011 rear-wheel. So sounds as if it is a bad idea to have a front hitch. Our 4WD is manually engaged when we want. Thank you.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:36 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Ours is a 2011 rear-wheel. So sounds as if it is a bad idea to have a front hitch. Our 4WD is manually engaged when we want. Thank you.
Well, it might not have enough traction... but it might be fine. Depends on your surface. Also, even though the part-time 4WD isn't suitable while turning on a good surface, it can still be engaged for straight-line runs to get the trailer moving, if RWD is not enough.