Towing - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2016, 02:17 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
And the more people that watch, the more nervous you get and the longer it takes and the worse it is and the more beer is consumed afterwards...
Hi: blhvet... It's much more of a problem when you own a 5.0TA. They stare you down going by and then settle in for the afternoon "Matinee". I usually manage a thriller and jackknife at least once per performance. You get used to it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:01 AM   #22

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I know people watching are only trying to help, but it's so much worse when they come over to "help". 'K, so it's dark - I can't see you drunkenly standing behind my new $35 000 trailer making hand signals!! And no, I don't need you to just "wheel it right in there for me".!!

Marry, it will be small and isolated, and hopefully it will have many pull-throughs!!

blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
The Narrows, Buffalo Lake. See you there!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Guess I'd better tell this story.

After two years with my Escape 21 I still have problems backing it up. I can put it in a camping spot, but I can't back for any distance without over-correcting, it seems. I know I just need to practice.

On my last trip my GPS mis-routed me through downtown Meridian, Mississippi. Then it told me to take a left on Sixth Street. There was construction on the street but it wasn't closed, so I turned down Sixth. Turns out the "Road Closed" sign had blown down in the wind.

Then I saw I had nowhere to go except for a narrow street off to the right. I drove down this which opened up into a bank's set of drive-thru teller windows. I was trapped. I would have to back the trailer up at least 100 yards down the alley to get back to the street I had turned off of.

The bank had glass windows, so people were watching to see what I would do. I looked back and saw the road construction crew watching as well. At first I tried to go through a teller lane and almost made it, but it looked like the raised lip on the rear of the air conditioner would hit the building overhang. So I had to back up.

I got out and walked back down the road to assess the situation. The construction foreman offered to have his crew help me back up, and they did-- a guy walked in front of me as I slowly backed up, the crew blocked traffic on the road I had left, moved cones, and got me back out on the street. But then the guy in front tried to guide me around concrete barriers as I pulled forward back onto the previous street and misjudged my turning circle, so I smacked one of the barriers with my bumper, skinning up my truck a bit. Oh well.

I have invested in a backup camera.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #25

The damage from my Meridian misadventure. I've since had it repaired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skinned_truck.jpg (96.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #26
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
Glad to see that it was minor. Moral of the story. Never trust your GPS. Been there. I hate it when that happens.
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
The damage from my Meridian misadventure. I've since had it repaired.
Ouch.

My brother once forgot he was towing and drove his truck and trailer through a Macdonald's drive-through. That didn't work out very well either, and he was forced to do some crazy backing out to extricate himself. These things are always more funny looking back on them then in the moment.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
GPS is just a tool.
And, when it comes to backing up in that situation, I'd not count on a backup camera. A second set of eyes is much more valuable.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #29

I really can't blame the GPS for having me turn down the street under construction. The "Road Closed" sign being blown down is what messed me up. In retrospect I don't think there is anything I could have done to avoid the situation; sometimes stuff just happens. I will avoid construction sites in the future, though, just to be sure.

Funny thing about this GPS-- I replaced my Garmin with a Magellan GPS that has a built-in dashcam. After I stopped to assess the damage from this incident I saw to my horror that the GPS had recorded the whole thing on video. Out of embarrassment for myself and the poor construction worker trying to help me, I immediately deleted the video. You should have seen his face when I hit the concrete barrier, though.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
My Dad and I were hunting near Clutier Iowa when I was about 14. We drove through an underpass with railroad tracks over the top. My Dad asked me what I thought of the "tunnel" and I said it was low and narrow. A few years later he related that as a farm hand before the war, he and a friend had gone through that underpass with a tall horse in a trailer. Bad deal for the horse.
Dave

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote